Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

trying to locate oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to locate oil leak

I have a '78 SC that has some minor oil leaks. One was clearly the left side oil return tubes. The second spot is driving me crazy... after driving for an hour or more, I get some collection of oil at the bottom of the case forward from the sump beneath the forward most cylinder on the right (I think this is #6). It looks like it might be coming from the oil cooler connection but is probably coming from above between the cooler and the cylinder. It will drip a little on the ground sporadically however the bottom of the case was pretty wet in this same spot. It clearly looks like its coming from the right side rather than the left where the return tubes are a problem.

After replacing the oil return tubes I ran the motor for 15 minutes while laying under the car and can't seem to find the leak. Perhaps I need to run it harder or let it get hotter.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where the could be leaking from particularly if it is from the top side of the motor and dripping between the cylinder and the oil radiator?

many thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

On the top right near the firewall (above the oil cooler) is the triangle of death as it is commonly known. In one small area there are three common points of oil leakage..
1. Oil thermostat
2. Oil temp sender
3. Oil breather neck gasket.

These are problematic to reach due to being below the injection runners. They can be replaced with the engine in-place but often requires engine removal.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Either the above, or........grrrr........the engine mounted oil cooler.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. my guess is that its one or more of the "triangle" items given that it doesn't appear to be leaking down the cooler.

Quick Reply: trying to locate oil leak