Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wear out date for old Fuchs ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:39 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Wear out date for old Fuchs ?

Interesting article in Panorama (got it today) about the life cycle of original Fuchs wheels.
The article focused on wheels used on the track and wheel failures (scary pics) on 30 +/- year old wheels.
Not something I'd given much thought to.
What do the wheel guru's/racers/pro wrenches' think about a road used 30+ year old Fuchs wheel...any issues?
I suspect everything, at some point, is a wear out item for spirited use and most of us 'drive' our cars that way even if not on a DE/track day.

So the question is if given a good visual inspection (no xray deal) and no issues how long should one use a forged alloy wheel safely?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends how it has been used in the past. Because of the age, one can assume that most of us are not the original owners so the wheel's history largely remains unknown. Just like their life expectancy.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
Interesting article in Panorama (got it today) about the life cycle of original Fuchs wheels.
The article focused on wheels used on the track and wheel failures (scary pics) on 30 +/- year old wheels.
Not something I'd given much thought to.
What do the wheel guru's/racers/pro wrenches' think about a road used 30+ year old Fuchs wheel...any issues?
I suspect everything, at some point, is a wear out item for spirited use and most of us 'drive' our cars that way even if not on a DE/track day.

So the question is if given a good visual inspection (no xray deal) and no issues how long should one use a forged alloy wheel safely?
Just pull the wheels at least annually, it's a good time to thoroughly clean them on both sides, inspect for cracks and roundness, the more frequently this is done the earlier you will catch any developing issues. Track use and rotten roads will accelerate issues.

That said I wouldn't obsess over it.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Bill,
Solid suggestion. I guess that I'd never considered the years/wear issue due to Fuchs reputation..caught me off guard.
Latter I was thinking the '26 Bugatti I got to drive had 87 year old alloy wheels....like you said, closer inspection when doing wheel work.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

There are a lot of us who race on old Fuchs. I've heard warnings about old Fuchs and I've heard warnings about new repro Fuchs, though I have never met anybody who has personally had a problem. If you track a car you'll be taking the wheels off frequently to change brake pads, fluid, and maybe tires. Check the wheels when you do. No big deal.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First one I remember seeing any problems with were about 30 years ago, so 12-15 years from production date. Not sure if it was because we were using cantilever slicks (on a 15X7), or aggressive curb hopping.

Personally, never seen a 16" street use wheel with a problem. But again, I've been out of the business now almost 20 years.

(Want to talk wheel problems, revisit the '80s and early Gotti wheels.............)
Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

No doubt track use will accelerate failure, but that applies to all wheels.

Most Fuchs have not been continuously and heavily tracked for decades on end - and if they have been, they will probably look fairly beat too...

With the propensity of enthusiast forums to blow any and all issues absolutely and completely out of proportion - you can be sure that Fuch failures will remain few and far between in the real world. You just don't hear about them failing much at all for their intended street use.

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

With the propensity of enthusiast forums to blow any and all issues absolutely and completely out of proportion -

Matt
Old forged wheels are very dangerous, I am offering $5 each to get them off the street and track....

"All your Fuchs are belong to us"
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I'll raise you - $10!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Most Fuchs have not been continuously and heavily tracked for decades on end - and if they have been, they will probably look fairly beat too...
Then they get sent to a guy like Wiedman to get all purrrrdied up. Never know the difference.

One thing the guys figured out post-Miami Vice years was that those that were chromed in the slope heyday were pretty useless for further reconditioning when those cars started falling off the road. May or may not be true, but a So Cal refinisher back in those days GAVE me a set of 7 & 9 X 16. Which I've used for track wheels probably 3-5K miles.......

Quick Reply: Wear out date for old Fuchs ?