Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2-What can I expect to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2-What can I expect to pay?

Hello all. I've been getting the itch to finally fulfill the childhood dream. I'm 43, and the 3.2 was the car hanging on my bedroom wall. I actually still have it, framed, and I use it as reminder to scratch this itch. When I was 8 years old, my best friend's dad had a navy blue SC that I just loved to ride around in the back seat. The sounds coming from the back, the smells....just awesome.

Recently I've been looking around and I know the air cooled's have gone up in price, but good grief. I saw a nice '89 3.2 at Holt Motorsports in PA and it was $50K!!! Is this really what good examples are going for?

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory.php?vin=120165

I don't want or need a concourse example. And I really don't mind a 915 tranny. What can I expect to pay for a decent example?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:47 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Holt's pricing is a bit extreme. Pricing runs over a wide range but I still believe mid-20s will get you a solid running 915 100k+ mile example with very nice examples pushing into the low 30s with 5 digit mileage.

Almost all G50s are into the 30s unless they have significant mechanical or body issues.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Condition drives price, but $25K is about right for a nice driver with no major issues.

Personally, I think a well sorted 915 is just fine and does not justify the premium for a G50.

Also, an SC is a perfectly good option.

I would not be afraid of a really nice car with one significant issue if the seller is willing to deal a bit, but I would avoid a tired, maintenance-deferred car as fixing lots of little issues can get expensive, and I wouldn't worry about paying $2-3K extra for a really special example.

Look around, but be willing to move quickly, as nice cars will sell. And of course get a PPI from a reputable shop.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers are sitting on some really nice low mileage cars at extreme pricing. They are betting on people with the money who don't mind paying an extra $10-20,000 for a clean car. The problem is that private sellers see Dealer pricing and jack their prices up as well. I look at some of the cars for sale here and Pelican and just shake my head. Buying a dream car is a great experience, but paying too much takes the fun out of it. You just have to find the right person or dealer that is not trying to make a huge profit off of you. I partly blame television shows. Every car show is about buying a car, washing it, and selling it for $10,000 more than you paid. I always wonder how the buyer feels after they see the show and see how much more they paid than the seller.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what its like in states but here in uk the average high miler that has been priced optimistically have been sitting in showrooms for months, even the 60-90,000 mile ones that aren't in top condition have stood still under the lights. I think there was a crazy peak at the end of spring which pushed prices up unreasonably and now its time for market adjustment, as a side note with winter on the horizon and given the current stock market anxiety I would definitely hold out for the right car at the right price to come along.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

FLIP THIS PORSCHE!!!! MAKE THOUSANDS IN YOUR SPARE TIME WITH NO EFFORT!!!!

Arrggg!

Certainly, some dealers are looking to cash in on car frenzy, and some private owners may simply be fishing for suckers, but a serious seller should move these in the $25-35K range. Another poster just bought a nice sounding 88 coupe for $32K, which sounds right.

I read Sports Car Market Newsletter every month, and even the pros are scratching their heads over car prices, so its the wild west out there.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to pick up my car from my mechanic yesterday and he was telling me the prices are shooting up on 3.2s and getting ridiculous. Not that I'm looking at selling mine, but it is an added bonus when you buy a car and could make a little money if decide to sell it. I'm keeping mine as long as I can.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Targa

If you decide to get a 3.2 try a Targa, they are much cheaper 22-28k.

Quick Reply: 3.2-What can I expect to pay?