Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Orange T

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes I think you are quite right about the finish. I was planning anodizing but that could make it too perfect. Might leave it raw until I get the leather on the door panels and the new dash trim and other fittings to see how natural silver hits it off with that lot. I like your idea of leaving off the top pad. I might as an experiment, band saw up a 5mm piece of aluminium with purposeful countersunk stainless steel fixings to check out that look. Everything is bolt up so changes to configuration and colour at a later date are easy

Last edited by Maxem; 05-24-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I love raw and minimal. To me, it is more about the sensory experience than other people's opinions. Some folks are clearly offended at what I've done and others are so freakin' jealous that I know I'm on to something. This is one of the only pictures I can find on my desktop. Interior is rather minimal.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Maxem
Drifting

End result. Couple of rough layers of glass and a light sand. Ignore the bubbles, didn't bag this one (shame on me). Ready for covering.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good David. Perhaps the top could be some laminated bamboo in resin to be a little different ;-)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Thanks Macca. The old Bamboo is testing my patience at the moment - taking too much time away from the T project. Got a big split in the top tube junction with the head tube on one of my bamboo rides the other day. Luckily it was the denim wrap and not the bamboo tube. Have to redo the joint but it takes so long to do. I reckon about 15 layups and lots of filing in between. Went for a nice paisley print material to match the denim so it is now the full "shirt and pants" bike.
I like the idea of switchable toppers to the arm rests - And Bamboo would certainly suit the theme.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's a work of art mate! Sorry to hear those head tube lugs are splitting. Im sure that's the place the early carbon tube frames had issues. They used alloy with CF tubes butted using a glue to fix everything. The lugs proved too ridged for the tube and the top tubes shattered when taking a big knock. I think it was Giant that pioneered this and I was an early adopter back then. Eventually they found like the Eddie Mercyx tour bikes of the past that you really need to use the same material (properties) for the lugs and the tubes. The stress needs to be distributed a certain way. For your bike I reckon its trial an error. The bamboo tubes obviously has tensile strength greater than the resin lugs you are fabricating. However if you change the dynamics the other way you will start spitting bamboo top tubes (probably preferable?). If you are re building the lugs perhaps add 3 layers and see if you can improve the rigidity properties of the resin. After that you may need to look at fortifying/reinforcing the lugs with a composite or alloy band under the fabric resin and shift the fail point to the tube?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That's a work of art mate! Sorry to hear those head tube lugs are splitting. Im sure that's the place the early carbon tube frames had issues. They used alloy with CF tubes butted using a glue to fix everything. The lugs proved too ridged for the tube and the top tubes shattered when taking a big knock. I think it was Giant that pioneered this and I was an early adopter back then. Eventually they found like the Eddie Mercyx tour bikes of the past that you really need to use the same material (properties) for the lugs and the tubes. The stress needs to be distributed a certain way. For your bike I reckon its trial an error. The bamboo tubes obviously has tensile strength greater than the resin lugs you are fabricating. However if you change the dynamics the other way you will start spitting bamboo top tubes (probably preferable?). If you are re building the lugs perhaps add 3 layers and see if you can improve the rigidity properties of the resin. After that you may need to look at fortifying/reinforcing the lugs with a composite or alloy band under the fabric resin and shift the fail point to the tube?
Maybe string will allow more flexibility?
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Perfect solution IMO John :-)! Might creak a bit and be difficult to get through FIA but love the "Island Style" look!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
I think the problem was the quality of the resin. It's softer than it should be. The split was more of a tear than a fracture. When making this frame I eyeballed the ratio and was having trouble with the cure. Thinking I needed more hardner I was overdosing and this caused worse cure problems. I've switched to polyester resin and invested in a set of scales so it's all good now. But I think I'll leave this bike for cruising the bays and keep off the trails.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:52 AM
Maxem
Drifting

So back to Porsches. Landed a set of these dirty dogs. I like cookies, they will be the next big thing. Got to figure out a finish. Either a solid powdercoat in an unusual color, black centers and polished rims or just plain silver. These will be a second set alternative to the deep 6 fuchs so can be a bit off the wall. Dark bronze could be quite nice.
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2015, 07:10 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick note thanking the guys on here that helped put yesterday together, was great to put a few more names to faces.

Really enjoyed the arvo track stuff, keen to do more, loved the 930 but wanted to make the car mint & don't think track fits with that plan, want to stay in a manual though.

The Caymans looked good out there, really warmed to the shape.

Not sure if could have more fun, pants on or off!

Will be signing up on the next playday for sure. Jason, nice to meet you, your 3.3 is VERY nice.

Cheers

Pel

Last edited by Pel; 06-14-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:32 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Orange T

Originally Posted by Maxem
So back to Porsches. Landed a set of these dirty dogs. I like cookies, they will be the next big thing. Got to figure out a finish. Either a solid powdercoat in an unusual color, black centers and polished rims or just plain silver. These will be a second set alternative to the deep 6 fuchs so can be a bit off the wall. Dark bronze could be quite nice.
Dark bronze would look good, although may not be enough contrast to the paint. Dark Metallic Blue with polished lip...
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Maxem
Drifting

So today the T should fire up for the first time. Oil and fuel lines in and the nescessary wiring is connected. We've loosely agreed to a date of early September to have it road ready.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Orange T