Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Orange T

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Car and engine looking great Dave. The interior coming together will be interesting to watch. I suggest a "rolling body" celebration once it's back!
Great idea. I'd be up for a driveway party to welcome a new car home. A bit like a roof shout really. My drive crammed with Porsches and a nice spot under the tree admiring them whilst supping a coldy sounds good to me.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
During the course of the Orange T build, I have been Porscheless. This one has been on loan over winter and it is the closest thing that I've had to the old T and really enjoyed it. It is caged and has race seats and harnesses and quite hard edged. Nice car and I would like one day to have a G series to to tinker with. It's going back to its owner to clear some much needed garage space.
I could look after her for a while. I have space :-)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Time to make some door panels.
So the easy thing to do is to just buy some but summer holidays are on right now and boredom is starting to set in after just 3 days.
So I took a ride to the fibreglass shop for some more supplies.
JohnMcM put me onto this foam core board. Very light, tough and stable. I will laminate a sheet of glass cloth either side and this should be good for a long term durable substrate for the leather trim to mount up to.
Past door panels I've attempted were in hardboard and High impact polystyrene. Worked OK but nothing like trying something new.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Maxem
Drifting

First thoughts were to cut out the panel shape in the foam core complete with holes for fittings then cover with glass and resin.
I was a bit concerned about getting the edges tidy and also wary of shrinkage during curing warping the board. So I decided to make oversize blanks first and work with those. Just in case of shrinkage and warping, I screwed the panel to the work bench.
All up the materials came in at less than a hundy so nothing like a bit of trial and error.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 09:45 PM
shaner
7th Gear

Sweet thread !

I have an orange 69 Chevelle.

Keep up the great work !
Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

Time to make some door panels. So the easy thing to do is to just buy some but summer holidays are on right now and boredom is starting to set in after just 3 days. So I took a ride to the fibreglass shop for some more supplies. JohnMcM put me onto this foam core board. Very light, tough and stable. I will laminate a sheet of glass cloth either side and this should be good for a long term durable substrate for the leather trim to mount up to. Past door panels I've attempted were in hardboard and High impact polystyrene. Worked OK but nothing like trying something new.
Very nice material to work with. You can cut it with a craft knife, yet it is tough and stable. I have some left over if you start to get adventurous.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Yes, the first panel has turned out very nicely. Light and strong.
The original panels have a row of screws along the bottom and three retaining clips, one of them half way up the trailing edge and two to keep the front edge in check.
I don't like my chances of getting new clips in new panels to line up exactly with the existing holes in the inner door skin. What I'm banking on is that the new panels are stiff enough to span the sides unfixed. The other thing is that my door armrest construction will do a lot to keep the back edge down as it comes quite close to the edge of the panel and will clamp it in place somewhat.
We'll see. Last resort is two more screws and cup washers.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Hunt-man
Rennlist Member

My dad had an Orange 911T when I was about 8. He was driving it hard in Eastern Washington and blew the motor. I remember the motor from that car sitting on our kitchen table for about 6 monts. Boy was Mom pissed. Finally had a party and finished the rebuild and got it running again. Wish he had kept it....

Yours is going to be gorgeous. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Thanks, it is getting pretty exciting now. Progress was being made but not a lot of that was visible with the body work preparation. I'll keep the updates coming.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Couple of oversize blanks complete. Very light, stiff and strong.
Will mark out And cut tomorrow, then will follow up with an extra wrapped glass edge where the lower screws will penetrate to reinforce the area. Very happy with how these blanks turned out. A bit more work than traditional door panel materials but these will stay strong, straight and dry for a long time.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2014, 03:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

Couple of oversize blanks complete. Very light, stiff and strong. Will mark out And cut tomorrow, then will follow up with an extra wrapped glass edge where the lower screws will penetrate to reinforce the area. Very happy with how these blanks turned out. A bit more work than traditional door panel materials but these will stay strong, straight and dry for a long time.
Dave, do those have a layer of fibreglass on them? If so, the quality of the layer looks very even.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:54 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Yes, they have a layer each side. Nice and smooth finish.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Marked out the shape from a set of originals. Could never figure out why there are areas of relief near each corner. Who knows, but better stick to the plan.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Cut the straights with a knife
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Orange T