Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery for 911 Carrera 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery for 911 Carrera 3.2?

I bought a DuraLast Gold H8 (H8-DLG) from Autozone and I've already had it replaced twice in the last 6 months, so I'm wondering if it's even the right battery and if there's something better or it's a car problem.

When I connect it to my Shumacher battery charger, it read 0.0 and doesn't change. From my understanding, that means it's completely dead with no hopes of being charged.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

you could have a parastic drain .. but usually desnt kill the battery totally. id be checking for that tho.
My interstate battery has lasted allmost 10 years now and shows no signs of slowing down .
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

+1. I know I have a parasitic drain on my 3.2's battery with no time to investigate. So, I keep a trickle charge (2amp) on my Red Optima until I have time to investigate. I does not sound like the battery is the issue.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:49 AM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a parasitic drain, check the door switch. You can test this with the interior light. If should turn off when the door is closed (if set in the appropriate position). If the switch gets stuck, some circuits will remain active after parking the car. It took me a while to figure this out. I cleaned and lubricated the switch, and everything works great now.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the alternator and voltage regulator to make sure they are operating properly?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Monaco
I bought a DuraLast Gold H8 (H8-DLG) from Autozone and I've already had it replaced twice in the last 6 months, so I'm wondering if it's even the right battery and if there's something better or it's a car problem.

When I connect it to my Shumacher battery charger, it read 0.0 and doesn't change. From my understanding, that means it's completely dead with no hopes of being charged.
Either you charger is defective or the battery's electrolyte has completely boiled off.

Latter is generally the result of overcharging but that is almost always accompanied by a very noticeable sewer-like odor.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by tulliotk
For a parasitic drain, check the door switch. You can test this with the interior light. If should turn off when the door is closed (if set in the appropriate position). If the switch gets stuck, some circuits will remain active after parking the car. It took me a while to figure this out. I cleaned and lubricated the switch, and everything works great now.
That's exactly what I've been experiencing. My interior light hasn't been turning off when I shut the door so I manually switched them off, but I never put the pieces together and assumed they were unrelated...

What did you use to clean and lubricated them?! Carb cleaner and WD40?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:12 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something like that. Whatever lube I had handy. It's a short-term fix. Long-term is to replace the switch. Like Red Green says, "It's only temporary. Unless it works."
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by tulliotk
Something like that. Whatever lube I had handy. It's a short-term fix. Long-term is to replace the switch. Like Red Green says, "It's only temporary. Unless it works."
Well, it started flickering again, so I sprayed WD-40 on it now doesn't work at all.

I tried to remove the switch with the socket wrench, but it just kept spinning and wouldn't come out. Is there some kind of trick to getting this thing out?

Last edited by Diamond Monaco; 10-17-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM
bakerphoto
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My parasite drain was a faulty trunk light switch that never turned off. Discovered only after a new battery and Battery Tender.

Quick Reply: Battery for 911 Carrera 3.2?