Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

School me on Roll Cages

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default School me on Roll Cages

As the title suggests, I am interested in learning more about roll cage options and people's experience putting them in SC/Carrera's for track use.

Interested in bolt-in, half cages and learning about harness mounting points.... I am interested in the specifics of how and what more than opening up a debate about their value/use. I also do not want to drill any holes if possible.

- what cage brands have people used and liked? features? dislikes?
- how difficult is the installation?
- where do you mount a harness to? (5 point)
- do the harness mounting points need load distribution or reinforcement (i.e. along the parcel shelf?)

Pics always help
Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Look on Stable Energies website, possibly the best bolt in cage for track purposes without sacrificing your stock interior too much ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the DAS sport bar in my 87 and the fitment is great and no issues mounting my harnesses. It also leaves plenty of room in the back to load up the rear seats with gear if you are driving to and from the track.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 DAS bar, bolts into stock seat belt mounting points.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Thanks guys, I like the sound of the DAS. The heigo seems to be a quality product also, but the cross members are bolted to the bar rather than welded to the structure which seems strange. I like that the DAS comes as one, welded piece that you bolt into the car.

Where are you mounting your harness shoulder straps too? The rear seat belt points and then over the harness guide bar or can you secure the harness directly to the roll bar itself?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, Rothsport installs Heigos by preference for applications like this.

Gamroth and Weiner have been around hundreds of these things and will use only the best. I'm not making a statement here regarding DAS, but know what the boys recommend.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Very happy with my Heigo roll bar. Fits well and no drilling or welding required.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:10 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First, is this a track only car or a dual track/street driver?

Generally, a full cage in a street car can be unsafe, as your head can hit the cage in an accident without a helmet.

Although a full cage gives better overall protection in rollover, and heavy side impact, a roll bar only is more streetable, and a 911 coupe has pretty good rollover-side impact strength.

However, if you do a rollbar with 5-points, you MUST also use a full-containment racing seat. 5-points with a rollbar and stock seats is dangerous.

Unfortunately, as a general rule, either stay pure stock, or go full race. "Mix and Match" racing "safety" equipment can result in a more dangerous car.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Dual purpose, primarily street with DE's about 5 weekends per year is the intention. No interest in a full cage, or any welding or drilling as I want to be able to remove the components and put the car back to a stock interior later on. (I foresee a day where I have kids that love to ride in the back seats of my carrera, and a more focused track car to take its place for that duty).

That said, if I continue to do DE in this car, I want the added safety and support that a harness provides. Roll bar, 5-point harness, and a racing seat are on the list if I decide I want to go this route. I agree with what has been said about the dangers of going "half assed" with a harness but stock seat, or a harness bar but no roll bar etc etc.

So it looks like DAS and Heigo are my top 2 choices at the moment, with a proper seat and some harness pickups and sub-seat mount. I think I'll be browsing the used parts for sale section!

Thanks for the help - and feel free to continue throwing suggestions/advice out there!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 161 Posts

I removed the DAS rollbar from my 1988 cab because it restricted rear movement of the seats too much for me and I'm only 5'11" tail.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I removed the DAS rollbar from my 1988 cab because it restricted rear movement of the seats too much for me and I'm only 5'11" tail.
I'm also 5'11.... but I find my seat is fairly far forward compared to my passenger seat which is currently all the way back. I wonder how different the DAS roll bar fitment is for a cab....
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the DAS bar the shoulder harnesses just wraps around the bar its self. I'm only 5-7 so no issues with fitment for me and could still put the seat back another couple inches if need be. How ever parkerfe is right it does restrict the seat from going all the way back, but I've had taller instructors drive the car without issue
Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

DAS is a good choice. a little more expensive but a good fitting one piece bar. Bolting up to factory mounting points makes them completely removable without mods. also the bar was out of striking distance from my mellon which is important on the street. I've seen some bars way too close for comfort. The rollbar resolves the issue of being held upright in the seat by the harness in the event of a rollover that a harness bar doesn't provide. A great dual use/DE option. for time trial or race, go all the way, cage is the only choice IMHO...
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 151 Posts

Have experience with the DAS roll bars. Fit well, no cutting or drilling holes for the 74-89 911 bars. If you go with a roll bar and harness, PCA (and most other clubs) require that you have a proper seat designed for using a 5 or 6 point harness. Also if you are still being assigned an instructor you will also need to have a proper seat and harness for the instructor.

Quick Reply: School me on Roll Cages