Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to deal with chipped paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Heavysixer
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to deal with chipped paint?

I have just purchased my first 911 a 1986 Carrera, and it looks to have the original paint. I have noticed several places on the car where paint has chipped off and the bare metal is showing through and beginning to oxidize. I do not want to paint the car yet and am wondering how best to preserve these areas until I have the funds to get it painted. I have heard you can put clear nail polish on the areas but that doesn't sound like it will be effective for long if at all.

What is the best way to handle small imperfections in the paint until I have the time and resources to get it repainted correctly?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 09-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to any auto parts retailer and pick up a touch up pen that best matches your color. ....or, if you are lucky and Porsche is still using the color, you may be able to find a pen at a dealership. ....or, do a search online. It may take several applications to bring the surface flush. My car is covered with this kind of touch up. Many are.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 PM
BrianM
8th Gear

I have had very good luck, ie color match, with touch up paint ordered from http://www.paintscratch.com/
Old 09-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Dr. Colorchip
(.com)
Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Heavysixer
Cruisin'

Awesome these are all great resources! Thanks everyone. I think I am going to start a thread or a blog post for first time vintage car owners like myself that collects all these insights for others.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Heavysixer
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Go to any auto parts retailer and pick up a touch up pen that best matches your color. ....or, if you are lucky and Porsche is still using the color, you may be able to find a pen at a dealership. ....or, do a search online. It may take several applications to bring the surface flush. My car is covered with this kind of touch up. Many are.
Did you apply to tough up directly over the bare metal or apply primer too? Also did you apply any clear coat afterwards?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

You aren't going to apply any clear coat. I'd look at Griots-they have a q-tip sized sanding bit that can remove corrosion by twirling in your fingers. For paint, go to Dr Colorchip, where you plug in your year, select color and they send you a nice kit. Go to their site and read about the process. It's pretty foolproof, simple, and the colors match perfectly in my experience. Lots of positive feedback on this product. No disrespect to Doug, by why mess around with going to an auto parts store and trying to come close on touch up paint, when there are companies that will match the Porsche paint code?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Heavysixer
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You aren't going to apply any clear coat. I'd look at Griots-they have a q-tip sized sanding bit that can remove corrosion by twirling in your fingers. For paint, go to Dr Colorchip, where you plug in your year, select color and they send you a nice kit. Go to their site and read about the process. It's pretty foolproof, simple, and the colors match perfectly in my experience. Lots of positive feedback on this product. No disrespect to Doug, by why mess around with going to an auto parts store and trying to come close on touch up paint, when there are companies that will match the Porsche paint code?

Perfect, thanks for the detailed explanation. QT sized sanding tips sound awesome, can't wait to give them a try.

Quick Reply: How to deal with chipped paint?