Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mysterious compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Mysterious compartment

Was snooping around in the "frunk" and came across a strange compartment. It looks like the vent fan, but what an odd place to find it.

Also, does anybody have a pic of the tire compressor and location. Is it supposed to be in front of the spare tire? On my COA, it states in the options "without compressor and tire pressure guage", so looks like original owner opted out of it. I find that strange, other than maybe to save weight.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

That is your blower in what is affectionately known as "the smuggler's box."
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
That is your blower in what is affectionately known as "the smuggler's box."
I saw that term being kicked around here, and now I know what it is! haha
thanks

Any info on the tire compressor?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

does your car have/had AC ? that is what that box is for . mine never had AC so is basicaly empty. I keep my tire compresssor in there ( non original) with a quart of oil.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
does your car have/had AC ? that is what that box is for . mine never had AC so is basicaly empty. I keep my tire compresssor in there ( non original) with a quart of oil.
I do have AC (if you can call it that!), so makes sense. Where did you get the compressor / any info?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, the Smugglers box dates back to the early 911. Because it takes a while for the heat exchangers to deliver heat to the car (Beatle drivers will remember), Porsche offered a gas heater as an option. The heater sat in the box, and blew hot air through the mesh into the passenger footwell.

Useless info 101.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

(Beatle drivers will remember),
Bus drivers remember even better...

Along the same lines of the OP's question about the air compressor, where does one store this thing? My car has AC so the smugglers box is full of stuff, and the air compressor just flails about the frunk whilst driving. Is there a suggested location for this thing? I can't find space under the carpet at all.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:39 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When I got my 84, the compressor and toolkit were just sitting in the front of the trunk.

When they went from 14 to 16 inch wheels, they had to put the deflated spare in to fit the existing gas tank, so they tossed in a compressor for good measure. I think thats just where they go.

We forget that the 911 dates back to the early 60's. Amazing it was still a desirable car in '89. Got dinosaur DNA. Like a Victorian house, thats part of its charm.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'll buy an aftermarket (smaller) pump that will store between spare tire and blower motor up front. I just don't like things flinging about while I'm driving. That's what I did for my 993 since the Porsche compressor just sat inside the spare on it (still flinging about - just not as far).
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Drivetolive
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdoolin
I guess I'll buy an aftermarket (smaller) pump that will store between spare tire and blower motor up front. I just don't like things flinging about while I'm driving. That's what I did for my 993 since the Porsche compressor just sat inside the spare on it (still flinging about - just not as far).
If you still have the carpeting in your "frunk" get some heavy duty velcro tabs and put the the "hook" part of the velcro on the compressor carrying case and it keeps it in place, it's what I did and it works great.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

In you have OEM factory A/C, the 1978 to 1989 (cannot speak to the 1974 to 1977) 911’s Smuggler’s Box houses your system’s evaporator in the black plastic box; your blower is actually behind the dash and connected to the evaporator with a short black expandable hose. Cabin air is drawn into the A/C evaporator from an opening behind the wooden partition under the firewall carpeting on the passenger side.

Besides the center and side dash vents, cooled air comes back into the cabin through the so-called “bow tie” plastic piece (pretty well centered) that directs air into both foot wells. After updating the A/C in our 1978 911SC, a thermometer inserted into the dash center vent shows 37 to 39 degrees, which make the cabin very livable here on the Gulf Coast of Florida.

As to the factory air compressor, ours fits on its side into the carpeted elbow between the master brake and the carpeted side wall of the front compartment, and it has resided there since the 1980s without wearing the front compartment carpet. In fact at a concours that is where we leave it for judging, and it is always at that location on road trips. A photo of the air compressor in this location will be posted at a later time. Type 2
Old 09-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

If you're just seeing that now, you really need to poke around more.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Ed, that was a nice comment. My comment would have been much worse but I am still too young on this forum.

Quick Reply: Mysterious compartment