Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to me 1972 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

The fact that it has DP body work says it was well cared for at one time despite the current trend to look down on plastic modifications of the eighties..
This car at one time would have been all the rage! at least they left the interior stock and
in good shape the sport seats alone are worth the price of entry on most restos today..
I would dare say leave it as is and see what money you can get as a quick flip if your
not into this sort of thing if you bought it as a project ,go ahead pick a direction and
swing away it's a blank canvass...Bert
Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a better pic of the interior.
I've seen red seats before. But are the knee pads supposed to be red as well? I'm waiting for a certificate of authenticity. Till then I'm thinking the car started out black with red interior.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Given the current market for early 911s, I would sell it to someone willing to turn it back into the original car. Looks like you'd be selling a VIN, but that happens, esp for a '72.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

I found out the original color was Tangerine. And black interior with sports seats.
Has a 915 transmission. But a 4 speed. Had to look that up to find out if it was possible. And I guess in the USA 5 speed was standard. Whereas in Europe 4 speed was standard and 5 speed optional. I'm leaning towards stripping it and making it stock once again.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

a 1972 911T Euro in tangerine is a very nice 911.

Not sure what you paid or how much it will cost to complete such a restoration but id say the car could be worth $75-100K properly restored.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Strip it down, and try to bring it back to its original glory. Failing that, make one hell of a track beast.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

That thing is hideous as it sits. It may be a worthwhile to restore back to original. It would take as much money to turn it into a worthy track car. And if you got rid of the body kit, nobody will be laughing at you.

Hope you got a smoking deal on it....
Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Conza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the '72 because they moved the oil tank to the right hand side, improved weight distribution, a nice unique touch that didn't return for ages, at least a decade for sure.

As others have said, cost benefit analysis needs to be done. Initial cost + Restoration costs <= Value? Definitely restore, I love a restoration story.

Above value, you'll still get an amazing car, the trick is how much above its value, and could you wait it out to regain that cost? 911s are on the rise world wide, especially the US and especially pre-impact bumper cars.

Matching numbers is a big deal, also consider once you've finished returning it to its home in Germany, imo, it should be worth more to that market too, not many people consider that when looking at collectable cars, if they moved once they can move again.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The oil tank stayed on the right. The difference on the 72 is that they put a filler on the outside that year. Kinda cool, until someone decides to fill it with gas.

Why send it back to anywhere? Restore it and enjoy it.

Originally Posted by Conza
I love the '72 because they moved the oil tank to the right hand side, improved weight distribution, a nice unique touch that didn't return for ages, at least a decade for sure.

As others have said, cost benefit analysis needs to be done. Initial cost + Restoration costs <= Value? Definitely restore, I love a restoration story.

Above value, you'll still get an amazing car, the trick is how much above its value, and could you wait it out to regain that cost? 911s are on the rise world wide, especially the US and especially pre-impact bumper cars.

Matching numbers is a big deal, also consider once you've finished returning it to its home in Germany, imo, it should be worth more to that market too, not many people consider that when looking at collectable cars, if they moved once they can move again.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Id peg the restoration at at least $65k + + +

Might be better to sell and buy a 72 already restored. Altough it will be hard to find that color and with a euro 4 speed even more difficult.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Drag a $50 bill through a trailer park and .....

As far as restoration is concerned it would have been easier to start with junk. You can get all 4 narrow body LWB corners in steel from Stoddad (PCNA) for about $9000. Another $3000 for front and rear bumpers. Add $$25k minimum for driver quality, local body work and paint (the right rear corner will require a little more than usual to save the oil fill), a nice 2.2 rebuild for about $10k , another few large for an interior and you wind up with a car worth maybe what you have in it, you having done a lot of work along the way. I see this car going to Mexico.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Ouch.
We'll people invest thousands in kids and they just disappoint.
An early 911 is a very basic simple car. In a weekend I can have it down to the shell. I've located fenders and a hood. And a rear clip. Yep. It's gonna take work, But it's therapy.
At this point I'm on the fence about a restoration or a rs mod. Either way, this young lady has lots of life to live.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need to buy parts from Stoddard because you know going in this is not going to be an $80,000 concourse restoration. It's going to be a simple driver quality car when you are done. I could find all the parts with a single phone call to a friend. I kid you not. All fenders in steel. Long hoods galore..... PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I would put it back to stock color.

But adding a set of SC flares and RS size fuchs would be fun since you are messing with the rear fenders anyhow
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Amber...you have a PM

Quick Reply: New to me 1972 911