Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

930 turbo suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:52 AM
Payaum shoushani
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 turbo suspension

Hey everyone i am knew to this forum and just wanted some perspectives on what suspension to install on my car. i recently got a red 86 turbo and was looking to put some suspension on it. i have been looking into motion, jrz, ohlin, and billstein rsr. i want something that i will be able to road drive but also set times at the track. With the coil over i will be installing torsion bars, bushings, sway bars etc… Was honestly just having a hard time deciding which shock will give me the best performance, reliability etc.. let me know what you guys think. comments would really be helpful. thank you so much
Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

JMHO,...

If you want coilovers, you really need to install a complete roll cage that connects and triangulates all of the suspension pickup points together. This prevents the excessive chassis flex that occurs when thin sheet metal supports the car, instead of through the floor where the torsion bars are anchored.

That said, a proper set of torsion bars, good shocks, Motion Control or JRZ, adjustable bars and bushings really transform the car without penalizing the ride quality.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any excuse to post this link:

http://www.elephantracing.com/index.htm
Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Payaum shoushani
Intermediate

ive heard that elephant racing is great but they copy other peoples parts. I was mainly looking into ohlin, moton, jrz, and billstein rsr. Anyone have experience with the billstein rsr? been hearing a lot of great things about them. Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

You have your facts backwards on the copy parts ...part..... Absolutely 180*

Your car has a torsion bar based suspension. Educate yourself there, before you start throwing away money on adjustable coilovers.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Payaum shoushani
Intermediate

obviously the car has a torsion bar.. the one i was ordering was off tarett. i wouldnt be getting coilovers if i had no knowledge about the car.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OK, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but it has more than "a" torsion bar. It actually has four of them.

Tarett sells "sway bars" or "anti-roll bars", not torsion bars.

In your original post you listed both torsion bars and sway bars....starting to think this was just a misplaced advertisement for shocks, and not an inquiry about torsion bar spring rates.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Payaum shoushani
Intermediate

For the dampers if I am street driving the car and going to the track about once a month what do you say I go with? Considering durability, reliability, performance, and which will last the longest. Moton, ohlin, jrz, or billstein rsr. Honestly been into the billsteins. What do you say about them? Thank you for the advice.

Originally Posted by amber lamps
OK, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but it has more than "a" torsion bar. It actually has four of them.

Tarett sells "sway bars" or "anti-roll bars", not torsion bars.

In your original post you listed both torsion bars and sway bars....starting to think this was just a misplaced advertisement for shocks, and not an inquiry about torsion bar spring rates.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Payaum shoushani
For the dampers if I am street driving the car and going to the track about once a month what do you say I go with? Considering durability, reliability, performance, and which will last the longest. Moton, ohlin, jrz, or billstein rsr. Honestly been into the billsteins. What do you say about them? Thank you for the advice.
You've got to get over the idea that you have a coil-over tub. You don't. You have an old world torsion bar tub.

Your car needs Bilsteins, most likely Bilstein sports, but first you need to identify what struts you have (Bisteins or Boge), what torsion bars you have (or are going to go with), and build a suspension based on equipment built for your car.

Put out of your head the silly notion that modern coilovers and adjustables with reservoirs will fit your thirty year old car.

....or ask the guys at L4P.com for advise.

Baring that move, try my original advise:

Any excuse to post this link:

http://www.elephantracing.com/index.htm

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 09-11-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I recommend you go as stiff as comfortable (for you, everybody has different tolerances) for the street driving for your torsion bar rate - then get a set of bilsteins and have them revalved to match your torsion bars [Bilstein has this service, or people like Steve Weiner at rennsport systems above)

Tarrett makes great sways - elephant makes great everything.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

A lot of people on this forum have very capable cars without full out race coil over systems,which will require you to cage the car,brace the rear upper shock mounting points and so on like Steve mentioned ...

You have an 86 turbo,that's plenty of car to scare yourself with for a few years of once a month track time,get to know your car first,then start improving/upgrading once you understand what the benefits will be.
It gets expensive really fast ... been there,still doing it !

Cheers
Phil
Old 09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
A lot of people on this forum have very capable cars without full out race coil over systems,which will require you to cage the car,brace the rear upper shock mounting points and so on like Steve mentioned ...

You have an 86 turbo,that's plenty of car to scare yourself with for a few years of once a month track time,get to know your car first,then start improving/upgrading once you understand what the benefits will be.
It gets expensive really fast ... been there,still doing it !

Cheers
Phil
^^^ This.
Is there something wrong with your current suspension?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got to get over the idea that you have a coil-over tub. You don't. You have an old world torsion bar tub. JRZ wouldn't know a torsion bar if you shoved it up their ****.

Your car needs Bilsteins, most likely Bilstein sports, but first you need to identify what struts you have (Bisteins or Boge), what torsion bars you have (or are going to go with), and build a suspension based on equipment built for your car.

Put out of your head the silly notion that modern coilovers and adjustables with reservoirs will fit your thirty year old car.

....or ask the guys at L4P.com for advise.

Baring that move, try my original advise:

Actually we know quite a bit about torsion bar cars and setting them up at the circuit with multiple track records inside PCA. We have quite a few systems for the early 911 that we can tailor fit to your needs. Please feel free to drop us a note for more info.
-Tim Olsen
Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Tim, there is no indication that the OP is heading off to set records at any PCA track day events anytime soon with what sounds like a stock 930. If he lives in Chicago and has the budget to have you personally set up his car then by all means, he should go for it. But, if he is looking at AC/DE/street use, he doesn't need space age components to improve "performance and reliability".

I'm sure it's doable, it just isn't the first step for someone new to Porsche. I think entertaining that path is doing him a disservice.

Dude!!!! Follow the link Your toolbox looks better than mine.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s....php?p=3059676
Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, there is no indication that the OP is heading off to set records at any PCA track day events anytime soon with what sounds like a stock 930. If he lives in Chicago and has the budget to have you personally set up his car then by all means, he should go for it. But, if he is looking at AC/DE/street use, he doesn't need space age components to improve "performance and reliability".

I'm sure it's doable, it just isn't the first step for someone new to Porsche. I think entertaining that path is doing him a disservice.

Dude!!!! Follow the link Your toolbox looks better than mine.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s....php?p=3059676
Ha!!!!!! I was just making a comment that JRZ does know a little about torsion bar cars that's all We have something for everyone and our support is stellar

Ugh tools cost as much as Porsche's

Quick Reply: 930 turbo suspension