Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tiptronic in early 70s 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:19 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic in early 70s 911

I'm wanting to put a tipronic transmission in and early 70s model 911. Before you all crucify me, understand that I am paralyzed and have to drive with hand-controls (one hand gas/break the other to steer. I can't operate clutch) I am wanting to get a tip trans/engine from a 993 or 964 and have it fit into it. Does anyone know if it would fit? Does anyone have a ballpark on how much would it cost? My other option is to get a 964 and "retro" it to be like to car I wish I could get. I really love the old style and prefer the weight over the heavier 964.

Thanks,
Sean
(Tennessee USA)
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm not sure a tiptronic would mount up to the old air cooled cars, good question.

The old sporto transmissions from the late 60's might work but you still have to shift gears in them. The shift lever has a microswitch that senses pressure and as soon as you place your hand on the gear lever to shift gears the switch disengages the clutch using vacuum. You shift gears, let off the handle and the clutch reengages. It shifts just as fast as a manual can be shifted. The other upside is that you can come to a stop without shifting into neutral, it has a torque converter in it. That transmission may mate up to the later cars up to 1998.

I'm selling my 69 pretty soon but while I have it I can take a video of how it works if interested. You might also be able to find a video online on how they work.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM
SHAG
Racer

I don't think the sportomatic would work for me. If I needed to break or hit gas while turning, I'd be in trouble. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Happy to hear that your trying to achieve your goals despite some challenge ..the early cars long hoods to be specific could be pricey to say the least a solid non rusty decent roller
Could run ten or more thousand these days then the cost of a tip trans mounted to say a
964 3.6 another ten and someone to nstall an additional 7500 to ten so your at thirty
Before you get a test drive..
I would recommend finding a 964 with tip as you mentioned they are readily available
Get your controls installed and then go about backdating some to lighten it up if you choose
awesome project keep us posted...Bert
Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a good friend who owns a 74 Carrera with a Sporto and he is paralyzed and utilizes hand controls. He is an adept driver and even does quite a few track events with the car. He has driven this setup for over 20 years and it is really cool to see how well he has made the car work for him. He even had his wheelchair designed to fold up and fit behind the drivers seat, impressive. If it would be useful to talk to him PM me and I could put you in contact.

On the Tiptronic front, i certainly understand since i own both early cars and 964's. 964's are amazing but feel different from an early car. I think even with that you would still find it easier to backdate a 964 TIP than work the other way.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Installing the Tip in a pre-'89 car is a daunting task since you would need the G50 torsion bar tube, and the complete ABS system to provide wheel speed info to the transmission.

In short, the whole powertrain plus harnesses and the complete ABS package.

Its absurdly expensive to do this.

I'd recommend buying a Tip car and customizing it to suit your tastes as this is FAR cheaper to do.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
I have a good friend who owns a 74 Carrera with a Sporto and he is paralyzed and utilizes hand controls. He is an adept driver and even does quite a few track events with the car. He has driven this setup for over 20 years and it is really cool to see how well he has made the car work for him. He even had his wheelchair designed to fold up and fit behind the drivers seat, impressive. If it would be useful to talk to him PM me and I could put you in contact.

On the Tiptronic front, i certainly understand since i own both early cars and 964's. 964's are amazing but feel different from an early car. I think even with that you would still find it easier to backdate a 964 TIP than work the other way.
This really builds upon my abbreviated response on the Sporto's torque converter. If your just driving the car around town you could leave it in 2nd gear and just drive from stop to 40 mph without ever touching the shifter. Anything faster benefits from a shift to third. Still not PDK or Tip but definitely a possibility if you can't find an alternative.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
SHAG
Racer

Ok, so I have a 94 C2 as soon as it passes the ppi and I go pick it up. I will just be back dating/modifying it to perform a little better when I get the chance.
I have tried to contact a dencent number of shops I have found on here and haven't had luck with getting a response. I live in eastern Tennessee. Do any of you have a shop recommended that is somewhat in my region? I am going for a cross between a Singer and a 73 RS for looks and would like to lighten up wherever I can.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ****
Ok, so I have a 94 C2 as soon as it passes the ppi and I go pick it up. I will just be back dating/modifying it to perform a little better when I get the chance.
I have tried to contact a dencent number of shops I have found on here and haven't had luck with getting a response. I live in eastern Tennessee. Do any of you have a shop recommended that is somewhat in my region? I am going for a cross between a Singer and a 73 RS for looks and would like to lighten up wherever I can.

Thanks,
Sean
Sean, that sounds like an awesome project.
Sorry I can't help with a good shop but mine are a bit far from you.

Please keep us updated with your project.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

****, backdating a newer tub is totally the way to go. Check in with Dave at TRE Motorsports for the body panels you will need.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What about taking a 964 Tiptronic and back dating it to a pre '73?
I've seen some done quite well, and having the luxury of a modern car.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 AM
SHAG
Racer

I'd love to do something like the PS Retro Touring R <http://www.psautoart.com/ps-cars/Retro-Touring-R/474> or even something like the Singer. I guess at this point my biggest challenge is getting the right shop/person to do it. I'm not willing to ship my car over to the UK and the 300k+ price tag for the singer is a bit too much for my budget.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic in early 70s 911