Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Recommended Suspension upgrades for better handling for 85 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
rgee27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Suspension upgrades for better handling for 85 Carrera

Looking to do some upgrades to my stock 85 Carrera. I have plans to do the turbo tie rod upgrade at next service. Car was lowered by original owner when I purchased it 15 years ago. Shocks are fine and doesn't appear to have a bump steer problem in my experience driving the car . What else should I consider doing? Different sway bars? Front strut brace?
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would look at upgrading the torsion bars and replacing the bushings (either stock, or upgrade) Elephant racing has a nice street setup.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on what you plan to do with it. Do you do DE/Track? How are the roads in your area?

If it is street only, not sure a lot of expensive suspension work is going to pay back that much. With these cars increasing in value, a lot of aftermarket "improvements" can actually reduce values. When restored to factory specs, the street setup is pretty good for day to day driving, and performance suspensions can increase noise and harshness, with little real-world improvement in "handling".

As a first step, here are some things you can do that won't cost a lot and keep it original.

Lowering the car is a good cost effective improvement, as are turbo-tie rods. Top quality performance tires are your best bang for the buck, and can make a huge difference in handling and responsiveness. A first-class alignment works wonders... putting a little extra camber can also improve turn-in. I would avoid increasing tire/wheel size unless it is for purely cosmetic reasons.

Also consider having the shocks rebuilt (about $100 per). They do wear, and a rebuilder can re-valve them.

Make sure the bushings are in top condition. They can deteriorate with age. Stay with factory as much as possible. Avoid using hard plastic/neatrix bushings as they are noisy and harsh.

This may sound crazy, but replacing the factory wheel with a smaller one (like a 14 inch MOMO), improves responsiveness and feel of the steering, it really is amazing, looks cool, and you can keep your original wheel from getting worn.

If the car requires major suspension work, or you want to spend several thousand dollars, buy a completely engineered package from a reputable supplier and do it all at once... all the pieces have to work in harmony, or the car can become a real pig.

Remember, any suspension mod trades off ride comfort, noise and harshness... there is no magic sweet-spot, so be realistic about your priorities.

Have fun.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Turbo tie-rods and strut brace was a great combo. Prototipo is an amazing wheel.

As JCP made very clear, hard bars and bushing will only lower your ride quality on a street car. All my bushings are stock.

Maybe find yourself the larger stock sway bars used on G50 tranny cars.

...and I'll take sticky tires over hard bushings any day.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
rgee27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Depends on what you plan to do with it. Do you do DE/Track? How are the roads in your area?

If it is street only, not sure a lot of expensive suspension work is going to pay back that much. With these cars increasing in value, a lot of aftermarket "improvements" can actually reduce values. When restored to factory specs, the street setup is pretty good for day to day driving, and performance suspensions can increase noise and harshness, with little real-world improvement in "handling".

As a first step, here are some things you can do that won't cost a lot and keep it original.

Lowering the car is a good cost effective improvement, as are turbo-tie rods. Top quality performance tires are your best bang for the buck, and can make a huge difference in handling and responsiveness. A first-class alignment works wonders... putting a little extra camber can also improve turn-in. I would avoid increasing tire/wheel size unless it is for purely cosmetic reasons.

Also consider having the shocks rebuilt (about $100 per). They do wear, and a rebuilder can re-valve them.

Make sure the bushings are in top condition. They can deteriorate with age. Stay with factory as much as possible. Avoid using hard plastic/neatrix bushings as they are noisy and harsh.

This may sound crazy, but replacing the factory wheel with a smaller one (like a 14 inch MOMO), improves responsiveness and feel of the steering, it really is amazing, looks cool, and you can keep your original wheel from getting worn.

If the car requires major suspension work, or you want to spend several thousand dollars, buy a completely engineered package from a reputable supplier and do it all at once... all the pieces have to work in harmony, or the car can become a real pig.

Remember, any suspension mod trades off ride comfort, noise and harshness... there is no magic sweet-spot, so be realistic about your priorities.

Have fun.
Originally Posted by amber lamps
Turbo tie-rods and strut brace was a great combo. Prototipo is an amazing wheel.

As JCP made very clear, hard bars and bushing will only lower your ride quality on a street car. All my bushings are stock.

Maybe find yourself the larger stock sway bars used on G50 tranny cars.

...and I'll take sticky tires over hard bushings any day.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a good plan. Not a track car so tie rods and good alignment is first order. Shocks checked out good last time in the shop. Didn't consider a new steering but it's a easy fix if I don't like the feel I guess.

Quick Reply: Recommended Suspension upgrades for better handling for 85 Carrera