Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1974 Alignment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 PM
RPMtech147
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Alignment Issues

Im not too concerned with camber more (or less) then spec, especially because the customer requested we lower the front with the torsion bars...

The rear is ok, I can dial that in pretty quickly, but my Split on the camber up front is bad. Id be happy with -1 on both sides but right now the left is at -.5 and Right is at -2.5. I have some wiggle room on the left so I should be able to get it down to 1 or near, but the right is MAXED, I have the strut mount pushed out as far out as it will go against the pinch weld where the mount bolts up...

My ride height is level, checked from multiple points on the car but I'm stumped on where im getting this extra -2 degrees on the right. Something bent? I doubt a shim difference in the strut assembly could cause a 2 degree difference. Are the lower ball-joints offset? That's about the only place I see making up 2degrees.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost sounds like you've got a damaged strut. Have you compared the relative angle of the two strut bodies themselves without the wheels on?

Sounds like it's time to swap out the strut.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

-2.5 is high. Maybe the car was wrecked at some point?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Its likely due to a bent strut and its quite common.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
RPMtech147
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive replaced the shock inserts, I assume you're talking about the entire Strut/spindle assembly. Im, going to tear down the corner today and see whats going on..Ill let you know what I find.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Steve, I had a slightly bent drivers side strut, the spindle was bent upward slightly. I suspect it was the result of someone backing into the rim/tire with a bumper?

Also, if you lower the ride height this results in the camber going neg. as the bottom of the tire kicks out as you lower the height. You then need to reposition the top of the strut further outward but often it has a lot of under coating in that adjustment bracket and the under coating can get in the way. I had to remove the bracket at the top of the strut and clean / scrape the excess undercoating to allow the strut to move outward to it's furthest position.

It may also not be possible to achieve 0 deg camber if you really lower these cars. Some cars are just slightly different and properly lowering them can become a challenge. I had a 1975 with no issues lowering it but my 84 was problematic and lowering it cause neg camber that could not be corrected as the top strut bracket adjustment simply was not enough.

Quick Reply: 1974 Alignment Issues