Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finishing up a 74.....2 questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM
RPMtech147
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing up a 74.....2 questions....

've been instructed to lower the front 1/4 inch...Ok, NP, it's got torsion bars, easy enough. Any possibility of mye breaking the bolts that may have not been touched since, oh 1974?

Next, when these things were new, they had some type grease or corrosion inhibitor on TOP of the shock mount. Any clue what that stuff was? Google's got nothing and nothing in the 'Factory' Manual.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

The front ride height is easily adjusted with the torsion bar adjusting screws, but I'd squirt something on them if the threads look corroded. The rear is more involved and it may be a bigger challenge if nothing has been touched in a long time and you live where the roads are salted.

I sure hope you corner-weight the car before you align it so it handles properly.

Regarding the tops of the strut towers, Porsche used a black, asphaltic sealant around the holes and loading plates to protect everything and you should be able to find something that replicates that stuff. We usually remove it (just as pictured) on the cars we do to facilitate ease of alignment and appearance for cars that are only driven on weekends.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM
RPMtech147
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, I don't work out LOL, and big weights are in the first pic.

Got the torsion rods spun down, looks better, alignment time...I KNOW this things going to be all over the place

Quick Reply: Finishing up a 74.....2 questions....