Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911s value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

This really is a bit dramatic, for input here. What are you trying to do, scare someone? This is a tech forum, and working on our cars or understanding them is what it is all about. I've never been a pro mechanic. Somehow I managed to "engineer" and install a pretty nice suspension system on my old '84. I also did an extensive brake upgrade. Too many other repairs along the way to mention, as well. If one takes the time to learn and understand, there really isn't much one cannot do to these cars in their own garage.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 3.4L twin plug engine that I built, too.

Originally Posted by Charles Freeborn
One of these cars is well beyond the tinkering envelope. Here's what went into the front suspension on mine
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-re-build.html
I'm doing the rear now - bearings, CV's bushings and so on. It is a fairly major undertaking.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post8173026
I've worked as a professional mechanic at different times in my life, so these sorts of projects are within my grasp. They are a huge undertaking for the shade tree mechanic.
All that said, it also depends on how you plan to drive the car. I take mine to the track and take it to it's limits. Under those circumstances, everything has to be sound. Normal street driving does not put anywhere near as much stress on the car.
-C
Old 07-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your mileage may vary. If I had an '84 I'd put the work into it too.
-C
Old 07-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The point is, these aren't out of the reach of anyone wanting to learn and try. ESPECIALLY with the resources and online support of today.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had read (I believe in the Porsche Buyer's Guide) that an older Porsche (i would define that as an SC or Carrera) will cost you $30K. You can buy one to $20K but you will put $10K into it to make it right. From my little bit of research, I think that sounds about right. By now it may need to be increased tp 35-40,000.

I have a 997.1 but I am an the look-out for a project P-car--and a bigger garage to put it in.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

geting back to the original car ...

a few points ..

the mid year cars (74-77 ) got a bad rap due to that horrible mistake using the mag case. This has kept the values down, and Eds point about the rust is probably the diamond in the rough to take from this thread.

Ypu guys remember the guy who bought the 75 and discovered his suspension bolts haad been bonded into the body using paper s a base ?
get this car checked thoroughly for rust underneath .. start poking with a screwdriver or finger where you see that black sealer underneath.

The "needs a tuneup" i am suspecious of too . I know lots of guys with 3.0s and NONE of them idle rough. That is a SOLID motor and should idle pretty damn perfectly with maybe a bit of hunting from time to time. there is no way it "needs a tune" if the engine was just rebuilt. That is the oldest line in the book.
get it ppied at a good independant.

as mentioned above unless you have a well documented rebuild on a 74-77 and have checked it for rust. i would stick to the 78 - 83
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I vote money sink. The 1974- 1977 short hood Fed bumper will never do well.

Also said by many about the 912. And they were right for a long time. Now they are wrong.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Also said by many about the 912. And they were right for a long time. Now they are wrong.
No way. Didn't you hear? Mid years aren't galvanized and they rust so they'll never be worth anything. Same applies to the long hood cars and 356s. SCs and Carreras are where its at because they never ever have any rust whatsoever

Quick Reply: 1975 911s value?