Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Barrier AC 'kit' from RennAire sold by Pelican parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 PM
rocket.science
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barrier AC 'kit' from RennAire sold by Pelican parts

So I just bought this hose kit from RennAire, which is of very poor quality, the OD of the hoses are a lot smaller than the original hoses I had in the car. There are no instructions, no sheet of what hose goes where. And to make matters worse , the hoses are longer, than the hoses that it (may ) replace and the fittings are different shaped , too. I called pelican parts, who I bought this from AND the manufaturer. The manufacturer was useless , saying to just replace the hose I took out with a new one. (thanks captn obvious, I would do that, if I could positively identify the hoses). No support from Pelican parts, and nothing online.

I'll post photo's later.
Update: I found some information on a competitors website. (how Ironic) maybe I should have called them to begin with.
two thumbs down RennAire, but you can still make it right. And everyone else who thinks of spending $400 on this , think twice.

Update II: Just got a call from Pelican parts (some person named Christina) and they said that they talked to the 'manager' of RennAire and that the hoses are non-stock (like I didn't know!!!) and therefore they don't have ANY documentation of how to install it. What a bunch of Baloney.
Also that the kit is supposed to be installed by a shop, which is no where indicated on the pelican parts website OR on RennAire website.
They DID however offer to let me send the hoses back for a refund. But I think it serves better to tell everyone about their business practices, as a fact it is OUR money , that pays for they jobs and their business, without us customers they won't have jobs. So do yourself a favor and buy go to your neighborhood shop have them custom made, save about $200 and get one on one customer support.
Pelican parts, this is the last time I shopped from you.
Attached Images   
Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Think about how few DIY's would even tackle this job, <1%, and then there is the rarity of the need for this particular hose set. Unique to air-cooled 911's (how many of those still around, relatively speaking), and even worse, air-cooled 911's with A/C...

Unique product market, "adequate" DIY kit, $$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:54 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Rocket Man,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Pelican. I've purchased odd's and end's from Pelican for a few years and I'd say compared to other on line stores their support is pretty good considering the number of line items they catalog.
Unfortunately PP does not make that product hence I doubt they could have a solution as compared to the manufacturer.

Kuehl, barrier hose sets are available in factory stock configuration or you can purchase custom designs. Each hose usually has a label so you know where to connect it, hose lengths are OE length, diameter matches OE, and complete sets come with detailed instructions plus other goodies. They are more expensive than other competitors but you get a turn key solution that bolts on the first time and tech support to help should you need it.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:06 PM
rocket.science
Intermediate

Hello griffiths,
While serching for some support or install instructions I came across the Kuehl AC vent upgrade. This company even had a install video ! Now that is what I would call support. Price was not my biggest concern when I was looking for the hosse kit.
But I will for sure now give Kuehl a try, since what I saw looked very promising. And what you confirmed made me feel even better about them.

@WWest
even with a niche product one can expect instructions, some paper work tht tells me what I bought OR someone I can talk to when I call. I had to call this RennAire 3 times where it just went onto someones cell phone voicemail , before I even talked to a person.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM
rocket.science
Intermediate

I went to Kuehls website.
And the site looks very clean I was able to find the right parts within shortest time.
the kit is only $200 more , but I can see already it's not some back yard hack as the stuff I bought from Pelican parts. Had I only found this site earlier.
Anyway, someone else might find it helpful,
http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....roducts_id=249

http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....cPath=15_16_17
Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the positive post, we try.
The Vent Video was done a few years ago by son for high school project I recall.
Today he runs his own marketing company.
I've tried to convince to come back to the shop and work here
but he only stops by for oil changes

Here is Shane's site:
Reel Bold Media
Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You two should at least pay for membership before you start pitching products and posting links to websites that may draw business away from our paying sponsors.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Can't go wrong with Griff and his Keuhl gear. You get what you pay for. Top notch customer service. I'm six years into a complete Keuhl install and it is great...used it in south Florida, NW Florida, southern Virginia, Texas, and Honolulu. Just moved to Stuttgart and my car arrives next week. Not sure how much I'll be using the a/c, but it will be great for when we retire back to Florida after this assignment. Best money spent on making my car an 7000 miles/year daily driver since late 2005. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Well well well. ... Amber Lamps!

Let's think about the "marketing" going on here:
1) A Rennlist member has a problem & posts a comment to fellow Renns.
He has a problem with a product mfg'd by a company whom is not in the Rennlist Vendor pool, and he has another gripe about a company whom is in the Rennlist vendor pool.
2) A rennlist member posts a reply that kinda says "hey, the one vendor is not so bad". And, the same member posts a response about a product brand that is sold by said vendor as well as others. That is called networking, in support of said vendors.

So, do you have a problem with the marketing of my brand, my business, me, the vendors I sell to, or is it with my son's business whom could probably teach you a thing or two about marketing.

And, if you'd like to discuss this further just pick up the phone and call me, or stop by anytime .. no appointment needed; I'll reserve a parking spot just for you.
Or, would you prefer the free tech support my firm posts on your site for fellow Rennlist Members discontinues today and it all moves over to Pelican? Your choice.

Last edited by griffiths; 07-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:30 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket.science
Hello griffiths,
While serching for some support or install instructions I came across the Kuehl AC vent upgrade. This company even had a install video ! Now that is what I would call support. Price was not my biggest concern when I was looking for the hosse kit.
But I will for sure now give Kuehl a try, since what I saw looked very promising. And what you confirmed made me feel even better about them.

@WWest
even with a niche product one can expect instructions, some paper work tht tells me what I bought OR someone I can talk to when I call. I had to call this RennAire 3 times where it just went onto someones cell phone voicemail , before I even talked to a person.
Much like Griffiths, my company designs/builds/produces/markets niche products, we can afford to provide more than adequate documentation and suppoprt ONLY because our customers highly value our products and are willing to pay accordingly
Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by griffiths
Well well well. ... Amber Lamps!

Let's think about the "marketing" going on here:
1) A Rennlist member has a problem & posts a comment to fellow Renns. le.
He has a problem with a product mfg'd by a company whom is not in the Rennlist Vendor pool, and he has another gripe about a company whom is in the Rennlist vendor pool.
2) A rennlist member posts a reply that kinda says "hey, the one vendor is not so bad". And, the same member posts a response about a product brand that is sold by said vendor as well as others. That is called networking, in support of said vendors.

So, do you have a problem with the marketing of my brand, my business, me, the vendors I sell to, or is it with my son's business whom could probably teach you a thing or two about marketing.

And, if you'd like to discuss this further just pick up the phone and call me. Or, would you prefer the free tech support my firm posts on your site for fellow Rennlist Members discontinues today and it all moves over to Pelican? Your choice.
Hair trigger much?

Let's start by clearing up what constitutes "Member". When the term "user" appears under your user name, you are not a member. Paying that simple $17.00 US annually allows you a lot more freedom of speech, as it were.

I have no beef with you, your product, or your son's marketing company. In fact, I've been to your site countless times and think that if I ever did go back to having A/C in my 911 it would be done with one of your http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....roducts_id=240 Packages. (As a Member, I think I'm allowed to post a link.)

My problem with the OP is his trashing on a Site Sponsor. How hard can it be to unscrew one hose and screw in another? Just because Pelican sells it, does not mean it comes with instructions. They sell intake valves....are they supposed to include instructions on how to install them?

....and marketing is kind of funny. I've sold hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 20+ years....so let's not go there.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 PM
rocket.science
Intermediate

Münchausen syndrome addict
The name under your avatar said all about how serious I should take what you say.
About freedom of speach on this forum , you have no more or less than I do. Being a paid member doean't mean anything really. But if you take that membership and $2.50 you can buy yourself a coffee at starbucks.
And that's all I am going to say to you.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Hair trigger much?
Nope. Just your unprofessional approach. If you got a gripe about dues, vendor comments or whatever, just drop a PM, unless you want to flame here all day long.

Paying that simple $17.00 US annually allows you a lot more freedom of speech, as it were
You know years back I used to get either an email or something in the mail, we call it a bill. I'd send in payment, receive some funky decal (I have a dozen or so in my desk). Not long ago the "bill" stopped coming. I recall some company trying to buy or interject with the founder but it all seemed so vague. Send me a bill if you want payment I more than happy to pay the $17.00 to help whomever keep the lights on. I enjoy freedom of speech.

My problem with the OP is his trashing on a Site Sponsor.
Oh. Really? So you are the Chief of the Site Sponsor Police, or is it the Head of the Renn Lobbyist group, or the extreme left/right of free speech? Look, no matter whom the vendor of the day is sooner or later they (we as well) will get a tick mark, someone will take down one of their (our) stars. You will find buried in the Shark tank a rave about a poor chap whom installed 3 brand new compressors in his Shark, installed by a "helicopter mechanic" mind you, and all 3 failed within 1.5 years and the car owner wanted another free one..... give me a break. It is simply a matter of statistics. If you read the 'oppie' it says the vendor was advised that the mfg'r did not supply the vendor squat. And, if you read between the lines it sounds like the mfg'r gave the vendor a line of bull to pass on. So the 'oppie' is fed up, annoyed and basically pissed off so he releases the rant here; most likely he is hot, tired, planned on doing the job this week before the holiday and is now in the dumps.

I know the vendor all too well, I've watched their business grow over the years, what a model! But, if they, me or anyone else wants to sell a someone elses product their is a risk by nature. If you truly have 20+ years and 100's of biggies under your belt you would know better; you'd just let it play out. The majority of the "members" here know what's going on.

How hard can it be to unscrew one hose and screw in another?
Well, like I said. I reserved a parking place right next to the front door for you. You are welcome anytime. Bring down a 911 or 930, buy a set of the hoses from the flamed the mfg' discussed in the prelude (note we did not say "your" vendor, I would not put PP through that, lol), you are welcome to my tool box or bring your own. However, we are going to start you off on the ground like all the newbies, just like the oppie. When you get done, about 12 hours later if you are lucky, without instructions, labels or any guidance, we'll see how tall you stand. But, we'll take it easy on you, there will be a cold Becks waiting, a comfortable chair, and then you can teach me all about marketing ! K?

In the mean time send your bill and I'll send you the bitcoins.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by griffiths
Nope. Just your unprofessional approach. If you got a gripe about dues, vendor comments or whatever, just drop a PM, unless you want to flame here all day long.

You know years back I used to get either an email or something in the mail, we call it a bill. I'd send in payment, receive some funky decal (I have a dozen or so in my desk). Not long ago the "bill" stopped coming. I recall some company trying to buy or interject with the founder but it all seemed so vague. Send me a bill if you want payment I more than happy to pay the $17.00 to help whomever keep the lights on. I enjoy freedom of speech.

Oh. Really? So you are the Chief of the Site Sponsor Police, or is it the Head of the Renn Lobbyist group, or the extreme left/right of free speech? Look, no matter whom the vendor of the day is sooner or later they (we as well) will get a tick mark, someone will take down one of their (our) stars. You will find buried in the Shark tank a rave about a poor chap whom installed 3 brand new compressors in his Shark, installed by a "helicopter mechanic" mind you, and all 3 failed within 1.5 years and the car owner wanted another free one..... give me a break. It is simply a matter of statistics. If you read the 'oppie' it says the vendor was advised that the mfg'r did not supply the vendor squat. And, if you read between the lines it sounds like the mfg'r gave the vendor a line of bull to pass on. So the 'oppie' is fed up, annoyed and basically pissed off so he releases the rant here; most likely he is hot, tired, planned on doing the job this week before the holiday and is now in the dumps.

I know the vendor all too well, I've watched their business grow over the years, what a model! But, if they, me or anyone else wants to sell a someone elses product their is a risk by nature. If you truly have 20+ years and 100's of biggies under your belt you would know better; you'd just let it play out. The majority of the "members" here know what's going on.

Well, like I said. I reserved a parking place right next to the front door for you. You are welcome anytime. Bring down a 911 or 930, buy a set of the hoses from the flamed the mfg' discussed in the prelude (note we did not say "your" vendor, I would not put PP through that, lol), you are welcome to my tool box or bring your own. However, we are going to start you off on the ground like all the newbies, just like the oppie. When you get done, about 12 hours later if you are lucky, without instructions, labels or any guidance, we'll see how tall you stand. But, we'll take it easy on you, there will be a cold Becks waiting, a comfortable chair, and then you can teach me all about marketing ! K?

In the mean time send your bill and I'll send you the bitcoins.
Entertaining to boot.

...and an F.Y.I.: John D sold RL to I.B. a number of years ago. During that transaction I.B. stopped billing for membership (I.O.W. Rennlist membership was free for a couple years).... The have since caught the error and resumed billing for membership. BUT now I.B. has been sold to K.K.R. for a reported $1.1B

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/...ype=blogs&_r=0
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM
CoffeeBlack
Track Day

Don't know all the details of this site and how it has worked over the years but the posts above are a terrific example of why I only come here about once a month and go to PP everyday.

PS Griffs products are top notch and packaged with excellent instructions. I'd be disappointed as the OP if I were in his shoes as well

Quick Reply: Barrier AC 'kit' from RennAire sold by Pelican parts