Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Make electric sunroof into manual hand pull ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
porsche4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make electric sunroof into manual hand pull ??

Has anyone ever done this - I do not want the weight or complexity of that system in the roof on my 77 911S ---- but I don't want to weld it shut either --- Not really worried about locking it - as it will be more a DE / track car then a daily driver.

Car will not have a headliner - nor carpet.

So the question is can I add a handle and pull it back ??? after I remove the cables and drive system - or will it require much more ???

thanks for any advice - and I will let you know what happens as I will be working on this issue this week
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cables and motor are what drive the rear edge up to be flush with the roof when it is fully closed....otherwise, I see no reason why your plan won't work.

personally, I wouldn't bother, the weight of the motor and cables is just a few extra pounds, after the weight of the tracks and other bits that you'll need to preserve.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM
awhenry
Advanced

Not sure about DE's but most sanctioning bodies will require that the sunroof be firmly affixed either as stock or pinned in position. Essentially, they dont want you to wreck and your arms or other body parts to flail around outside the car body(and since such an incident would affect our insurance rates, nor do we).
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 PM
porsche4me
Intermediate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...106b55&vxp=mtr

check that out ---- i cant finf a reference to that anywhere ----- the early prototypes had forward opening sunroofs that were hand operated but this roof is different

Quick Reply: Make electric sunroof into manual hand pull ??