Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Redridge. I sent Pete a note.

Sam
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 AM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Originally Posted by NCDCSam
Sadly, I must report that my search for an air cooled late 80s Carrera or 964 continues.

Dan Petchel has been a good guy to work with. He has been honest and upfront in our email and telephone conversations. He is very available by phone and quick to reply to emails. I would be happy to buy a car from Dan, but it won't be this one. If you are interested in the car, please call Dan.

Provost Motorsports did the PPI. Rob and Max were very professional. When I called, Rob immediately made it clear that his business and Dan's have their physical business locations in the same building. Rob didn't want to do a PPI and then have me upset about the relationship he has with Dan. Rob and Max reviewed the PPI results and photos with me and answered my questions. Highly recommended.

Bottom line is this is a good car for someone, but it has some things that will need to be addressed. It is the wrong car for me right now.

Still looking with a budget up to $30K max.

Thanks for your interest and help. As a NOOB, i really didn't expect such support. I guess I will take the backup fun car (92 E30 Cabrio, 70,000 miles, bone stock except for chip) for a ride tomorrow if it thaws out in NC.

Sam
What were the issues with the car?
This can save the next buyer a lot of headache.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 AM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Hi Pushing My Luck and any other interested readers.

I will share general details, but I will not provide a laundry list that tears the car apart. For a different person in a different situation from mine right now, they might be driving away in Dan's car.

First off, I want everyone to know that Dan has offered to split the cost of the PPI. That should confirm what others have said - he is an honest guy who cares about these cars, knows a lot and is willing to work with a buyer.

When we spoke yesterday afternoon and reviewed the results, I think he was a bit surprised (really felt like he had the same reaction I did). I felt pretty bad talking to him (I had already lined up the funds and talked to USAA about adding the car to existing policy).

Compression is very good.

Engine appears to have been dropped out (various bolts disturbed - maybe just for re-spray which is reported to be great), but PPI guys had no info on who, what where, when, why. couple minor oil leaks and one that may need more attention.

Transmission had an issue - might be minor to some but not others.

Among the issues: front brakes, tires, some electrical functions (might be easily fixed by fuses or relays - not sure), interior cosmetics, weatherstripping, some body stuff under and exterior.

I have no doubt that Dan will investigate all of this. For many of you experienced buyers, these may be "live with it" things, but for a distant buyer, I decided to wait.

I will be so bold as to speculate that Dan didn't get a good chance to look at the car before I asked to have it inspected. He has several cars and I think this was at the back of the line waiting to be addressed.

If you get serious, I'll respond to PMs, but I don't want this to become a bashathon.

If I was too quick to decline, please let me know. Maybe I need to be better calibrated to this market.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Since I have no idea on severity of any of these issues, I can't say whether you were too gunshy, or not. But on a 20+ year old car with 110k, its going to be hard to find perfection. Most use the PPI to negotiate a final purchase price.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Ed,

Your point is well taken regarding the use of PPI results to negotiate a mutually agreeable price.

I asked via email some very specific questions and followed up with more questions in my phone conversations wit the seller. He replied to all questions based in large part on what the previous owner stated when trading the Carrera in on a Turbo.

The PPI results were inconsistent with the answers I received. I'll leave it at that.

Still looking - just spent a couple of hours looking at and driving a 964 Cabrio. Not exactly what I am looking for, but it is another data point. Really nice car, but a different animal from a Carrera.

Sam
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Default Air cooled fever cure = Pete Z's 911SC

A while back, I posted looking for some advice on locating and buying an air cooled 911. I received a gracious welcome and a couple of great bits of advice, both here and via PMs.

I connected with Pete Zimmerman about his 911 SC and came to an agreement on my purchase of his car. Unfortunately, life got in my way and I had to rescind my offer. Pete was very understanding about my situation.

Long story short, I contacted Pete earlier this week, and he let me know that his car was on EBay. I bid on and "won" the car earlier this afternoon. I guess soe things are meant to be.

I just had another great conversation with Pete. I will be making logistical arrangements and moving his car to my house in NC. Sadly, my wife's 1992 low miles BMW E30 Cabrio will have to move outside go make room for the older brother, but they (wife and Cabrio) will get over it.

I wanted to thank those of you who offered advice and encouragement back when I started this search.

Once the car is in NC, I will post the obligatory photos.

Regards,
Sam
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a great ending.
Would be interested at some point to get your opinion on the new car vs the cayman as I am considering moving the other direction that you did.
Have fun with the car.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NCDCSam
A while back, I posted looking for some advice on locating and buying an air cooled 911. I received a gracious welcome and a couple of great bits of advice, both here and via PMs.

I connected with Pete Zimmerman about his 911 SC and came to an agreement on my purchase of his car. Unfortunately, life got in my way and I had to rescind my offer. Pete was very understanding about my situation.

Long story short, I contacted Pete earlier this week, and he let me know that his car was on EBay. I bid on and "won" the car earlier this afternoon. I guess soe things are meant to be.

I just had another great conversation with Pete. I will be making logistical arrangements and moving his car to my house in NC. Sadly, my wife's 1992 low miles BMW E30 Cabrio will have to move outside go make room for the older brother, but they (wife and Cabrio) will get over it.

I wanted to thank those of you who offered advice and encouragement back when I started this search.

Once the car is in NC, I will post the obligatory photos.

Regards,
Sam
Congrats!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where is my referral fee? Congrats.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the car. Pete is the best and was a big help to me as I had to sort out some things with my '82 SC. You will love the car. I made the switch from Watercooled to Aircooled a couple of years ago and will never go back.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sam, great news... be sure to bring it out to Jason's for coffee one Sat.

Gary
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

You are buying the car from a very professional, helpful and knowledgeble person. I think it is going to be very solid.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

First - referral fees. Amber Lamps, please contact Pete for your check!

Second - my brief time (about 21 months) with a 2008 Cayman 2.7L, 5 spd.,17" wheels (being 62, I thought the small fatter wheels combined with teh Cayman's body reminded me of late 60s LeMans cars), very lightly optioned. Bought it as a CPO from Leith in Raleigh with 19,000 miles on it. When I let it go, it had over 42,000. I used it to travel back and forth to DC for business a lot. Highway miles produced decent mpg (high 20s). Low cost of operation, quite honestly.

At Leith, John Alvi in Sales was great to work with and Jay in Service did me right. when I bought the car, I was really there to look at a Z4 M coupe, but the test drive swayed me. Up until then, I had been BMW cars (at one time I had an E30 Cabrio, an E36 coupe and an E46 Cabrio) and motorcycles for quite a while.

Car went through one RMS with me; I think one with original owner. No other issues. Was easy to do brake job and oil changes. I did all the service work for the 40,000 mile service except spark plugs, which I paid Leith to do. I have to admit that the IMS issue was always in the back of my head.

The base Cayman is fun - you have to push it some and it is not a dragster. Handling is where it shines, in my mind. Steering feel was very good - I hear the electronic steering loses some of that. I was happy with the base car - I am not a trackster and the 2.7 could get me up to go to jail speeds pretty quickly.

But, as mentioned before, I have had a strong desire for an air cooled 911 for a long time. After a meandering search through the world of online car buying, redridge, Amber Lamps, Ed Hughes, and others pointed me to Pete.

when I first received photos from Pete, I was smitten. I think his car has a personality or character or whatever that made me keep looking at pictures of it, even after I thought I wasn't going to by it.

So, I am now in debt to many of you, not least of all Pete. I contacted Pete the other day and asked if he had sold the car. He told me it was on EBay and sent me a link. I snagged the car off EBay for the exact same price that we had agreed to last month. First thing I have ever bought on EBay, too.

gr1275 - I will get the car to Jason's or one of the PCA coffee sessions as soon as it gets to Raleigh.

500_19B - what you said times 100.

Sam
Old 06-26-2014, 02:40 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Where is my referral fee? Congrats.
ahem.... I was in line first.

Quick Reply: Air cooled fever - looking at 84-86 Carreras