Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 subwoofer enclosure

Old 07-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 subwoofer enclosure

I have this link for a fiberglass 911 subwoofer enclosure.

http://www.usdaudio.com/usd/enclosures.html

It does not come upholstered, but it does keep a very factory look without cutting the car.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Here is a page of a guy that has the original enclosure installed and how he did the install. It looks really good.

http://www.2phast.com/porsche1/porsche.htm

He talks about how he did the grill and the depth of the woofers and how he spaced it out a little to get the woofer that he wanted into it.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This guy is great:

http://caraudioinnovations.com/

Old 07-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Originally posted by Eric Holdaway
Here is a page of a guy that has the original enclosure installed and how he did the install. It looks really good.

http://www.2phast.com/porsche1/porsche.htm

He talks about how he did the grill and the depth of the woofers and how he spaced it out a little to get the woofer that he wanted into it.
I have seen a picture of a box like that in the past. Is that a full enclosure or is it just a panal that presses against the floor?

If it is just a panel, I would be concerned with leaks and not achieving the full potental of the subwoofers.

The fiberglass enclosure that we have is a full sealed enclosure.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:25 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric,

I'll second Marc's comment. Give Rod a call, good guy and very knowledgeable. Just another happy customer... of a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:39 AM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Guys, I think you missed the point. Eric seems to be promoting those enclosures (his signature is from the company that makes them), not looking to buy a different enclosure.

I'm not knocking it, just pointing it out.

I'll third the comments on Rod Birch, just for the record. He set up the speakers and subs on my 911 cab a couple years ago and I'm still happy as can be with the work.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by DTFASTBEAR
Guys, I think you missed the point. Eric seems to be promoting those enclosures (his signature is from the company that makes them), not looking to buy a different enclosure.

I'm not knocking it, just pointing it out.

I'll third the comments on Rod Birch, just for the record. He set up the speakers and subs on my 911 cab a couple years ago and I'm still happy as can be with the work.
duh!

You are correct, I did not realize the post was SPAM.
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue!

I'd still go with Rod's, sorry Eric.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps Eric would like to step up and become a Rennlist sponsor?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

Eric, have you already formed these enclosures or is the one shown in your pictures just a picture of the original Z-box enclosure. The reason I ask is that I never liked the fact that the box raised the rear seat area by 4 inches. It would be useless to anyone but a couple of little kids because of the lack of headroom. Because the original enclosure was designed long ago with something like 2 c.f. for the speakers of the 80s, and many of the sealed 10s of today are designed to operate in a space of 0.5 to 0.6 c.f, I would think the enclosure could be designed more efficiently, without the rise in the seat area. That is why I ended up having to build the dual sealed enclosure with 0.35 cf per JL 10W6 as shown in my signature. Although my box is undersized, I wouldn't mind considering a larger fiberglass enclosure, just not as impractical as the Z-box. If you could design something like this, and price it reasonably, I think you would have a hot product that does not exist in the market.

BTW guys, though this post may appear sort of spam like, and I have nothing against Rod, it should be noted that Eric's shop Speakerworks, has designed many national champion winning competition sound systems that date back to the 80s, and pioneered many of the technologies that are commonplace in competition systems today.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:46 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Steve W
BTW guys, though this post may appear sort of spam like, and I have nothing against Rod, it should be noted that Eric's shop Speakerworks, has designed many national champion winning competition sound systems that date back to the 80s, and pioneered many of the technologies that are commonplace in competition systems today.
If you search on all six of Erics posts, they are all spam.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:51 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
If you search on all six of Erics posts, they are all spam.
You need to re-read some of my posts. You are incorrect in what you have said above.

DrZ (Robert Zelman) invited me to post about his system in his 993 that we installed. The first post was answering questions that were asked by people like yourself looking for new ideas and new contacts.

Pretty standard BB stuff. Definatly not what you are calling spam, and I think if you will look at it again, you will agree with me.

Then I had people email me asking if we had other product that they could see regarding their cars, so I then posted pictures of the enclosure, but could not figure how to put up more than one photo per post - still have not figured that out darn it!

Then I had people email me from the 993 list that said I should put that on the 911 list because it did not fit the 993... duh... I should have thought of that!

So then I put it onto the 911 list. Then I had an email asking about depth of the enclosure and how I would do a spacer to fit a deeper woofer. That was when I added the second post to this thread, which is going to another persons site, not mine. Again, that post is not a "spam." Just answering a question that was asked of me.

I am sorry that you feel I am doing something against Rod, I am not.
As I am actually pretty knowledgeable about car audio, and I love 911's, I thought this would be a good board to get involved with.

I still hope it is.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Originally posted by cab&guy
Perhaps Eric would like to step up and become a Rennlist sponsor?

Funny enough, I received info from Jennifer Munson on just that the other day.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Originally posted by Steve W
Eric, have you already formed these enclosures or is the one shown in your pictures just a picture of the original Z-box enclosure.
The pictures are of the z-box, yes, good eye!!!! The enclosure is a splash of that enclosure.

The reason I ask is that I never liked the fact that the box raised the rear seat area by 4 inches. It would be useless to anyone but a couple of little kids because of the lack of headroom.
Well... I do not think anyone could sit back there with any enclosure that fits into the floor board area. Unless you want them to have their knees around their foreheads.

Even Rod's panel takes away the foot room for the rear seat... unless you move the front seat forward a long ways.

Because the original enclosure was designed long ago with something like 2 c.f. for the speakers of the 80s, and many of the sealed 10s of today are designed to operate in a space of 0.5 to 0.6 c.f, I would think the enclosure could be designed more efficiently, without the rise in the seat area.

Well... many of the new woofers would "work" in smaller enclosures, but many of them are also VERY deep and you would have to move the seats forward to fit them into the floor board area.

As you may know, I do the product reveiws for Car Audio Magazine, and have tested many, many woofers that are supose to be in ultra small enclosures, and all of them that I have tested always sound better in larger enclosures.

That is why I ended up having to build the dual sealed enclosure with 0.35 cf per JL 10W6 as shown in my signature. Although my box is undersized,
Yea, if you were to go to a 1 ft box, you would be BLOWN away at how much better it would sound!

I wouldn't mind considering a larger fiberglass enclosure, just not as impractical as the Z-box. If you could design something like this, and price it reasonably, I think you would have a hot product that does not exist in the market.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Anyone want to volunteer in California?

Thank you very much for the kind words. You must go back a ways to know all that!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited by Eric Holdaway; 07-31-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:43 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

You need to re-read some of my posts. You are incorrect in what you have said above.

DrZ (Robert Zelman) invited me to post about his system in his 993 that we installed. The first post was answering questions that were asked by people like yourself looking for new ideas and new contacts.

Pretty standard BB stuff. Definatly not what you are calling spam, and I think if you will look at it again, you will agree with me.

Then I had people email me asking if we had other product that they could see regarding their cars, so I then posted pictures of the enclosure, but could not figure how to put up more than one photo per post - still have not figured that out darn it!

Then I had people email me from the 993 list that said I should put that on the 911 list because it did not fit the 993... duh... I should have thought of that!

So then I put it onto the 911 list. Then I had an email asking about depth of the enclosure and how I would do a spacer to fit a deeper woofer. That was when I added the second post to this thread, which is going to another persons site, not mine. Again, that post is not a "spam." Just answering a question that was asked of me.

I am sorry that you feel I am doing something against Rod, I am not.
As I am actually pretty knowledgeable about car audio, and I love 911's, I thought this would be a good board to get involved with.

I still hope it is. If you would like to know more about me, you can do a google search on my name Eric Holdaway or go to my site www.usdaudio.com
If that is the case you most certainly have my apologies, however your posts just seem self promoting to me.
I don't feel you are doing anything against Rod, I simply support Rob because he is a Rennlist sponsor, former 911 owner and has answered many of my dopey questions.

Regards
Old 08-01-2003, 06:39 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

It's a chicken and egg thing. Anyone want to volunteer in California?

Eric, think I remember even back before you guys were growing diamonds on the diaphrams of 6 foot waveguide drivers, or something like that, but I digress. I actually do seat people back there, but a third person usually automatically sits side saddle, which is more useful than not being able to seat anyone there at all. I know how deep and hard those 10s hit in 1 cf ea, but in a 911, I'm not sure most owners would sacrifice the space. I wouldn't mind letting you use my car and it's system to develop something, but what are you proposing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 subwoofer enclosure