Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A bit of an update

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A little bird has told me to look up "Triangle of Death" on the Pelican.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DB, try this search term:

site:forums.pelicanparts.com "triangle of death"

This term was coined by our own esteemed Draco (Jim) and I began using it to ease future searches.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ping-list.html
You will find a lot of good reading using these search terms. You might also add my user name. Somewhere I did an illustration showing why the oil hits the exhaust cross pipe when leaks originate here.

Change both the oil pressure warning light sensor (cheap) and the thermostat o-ring. I find that the green viton o-ring is superior to the red Porsche one, but there are inferior viton o-rings on the market, so be careful.

This is a ten minute job, once the cleaning is done. Try using aerosol "electronic parts cleaner" which is kinder to plastic than brake cleaner. Or use isopropyl 90% and a clean cotton rag on final cleanup. Use a 24mm deep socket for the sensor.

I use a chrome vanadium allen key from Sears tool department to adjust the eccentric bolts. Works well enough for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I will put my tool box up against yours any day Loren, any day. "

Which one of my four roll-arounds (2 Snap-On) plus a mechanist's.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
DB, try this search term:

site:forums.pelicanparts.com "triangle of death"

This term was coined by our own esteemed Draco (Jim) and I began using it to ease future searches.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ping-list.html
You will find a lot of good reading using these search terms. You might also add my user name. Somewhere I did an illustration showing why the oil hits the exhaust cross pipe when leaks originate here.

Change both the oil pressure warning light sensor (cheap) and the thermostat o-ring. I find that the green viton o-ring is superior to the red Porsche one, but there are inferior viton o-rings on the market, so be careful.

This is a ten minute job, once the cleaning is done. Try using aerosol "electronic parts cleaner" which is kinder to plastic than brake cleaner. Or use isopropyl 90% and a clean cotton rag on final cleanup. Use a 24mm deep socket for the sensor.

I use a chrome vanadium allen key from Sears tool department to adjust the eccentric bolts. Works well enough for me.
Well, my Zen Pumpkin Master, the leak seams to be gone.

Placed the seals, then positioned the cooler, put on the washers and some new nuts, returned S hose, put ducting and tinware back in, put the fuel rail back on, dumped 5 quarts of 20-50 in the oil tank, put the K&N on, squirted everything down with engine bright, hosed it all down, blasted with 125# of air till everything was dry, tapped the key and she fired right up.

Dry as can be.

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"I will put my tool box up against yours any day Loren, any day. "

Which one of my four roll-arounds (2 Snap-On) plus a mechanist's.

Is that crickets?

Loren, you are in the business, of course you have the tools of the trade. I'm a packaging salesman. All my Snap On came to me via pawn shops. What??? Little Dougie has Snap On in that shed of his? Holy Crap, drawer two looks just like drawer one.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OK, party may be over. It seems to still be leaking. I'm gonna do what rusnak says and replace the rest of the seals up there. Can't believe how well she runs.

This is the guy that is really the crowning jewel in my tool box. My 3/8 drive Precision Instruments torque wrench. Yes, that's most all snap on around it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Douglas, with all the bling, and the fact you'd had all the intake off a few years ago, I'm amazed you'd not done any of this. If you're puking oil up there all of a sudden, I'd bet on the t-stat O-ring. If nobody local has viton version, my guess is Henry at Supertec will. He's probably got a minimum, but I bet if you drove down, he'd sell one for a couple of $. It is well worth the visit, to see his shop and work in progress.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Douglas, with all the bling, and the fact you'd had all the intake off a few years ago, I'm amazed you'd not done any of this. If you're puking oil up there all of a sudden, I'd bet on the t-stat O-ring. If nobody local has viton version, my guess is Henry at Supertec will. He's probably got a minimum, but I bet if you drove down, he'd sell one for a couple of $. It is well worth the visit, to see his shop and work in progress.
First call Monday is going to be to Einmalig. If they don't have it then http://www.supertecperformance.com/ is next on the list. Are they in the same general area as CPR?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I want to see your motor looking like the one in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-sapphire.html

Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
First call Monday is going to be to Einmalig. If they don't have it then http://www.supertecperformance.com/ is next on the list. Are they in the same complex as CPR?
No, his shop is on his beautiful property. Crawling with peacocks.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

No, his shop is on his beautiful property. Crawling with peacocks.
Last time I saw peacocks I was in Vaccaville circa 1984. May be worth the trip.

....and I have no idea why I haven't done this already. Should be a quick in and out once the seal is in hand. Jack stands were so freakin' high today it was all I could do to reach back there. Front plate was almost touching the ground.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I want to see your motor looking like the one in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-sapphire.html

I think I posted in that thread.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the oil pressure warning light sensor. In fact, buy two and keep a spare in the trunk. They blow like a geyser when they go bad.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I took some before / after shots when I fired her up last night that didn't impress me when I was out in the light of day. This morning, with the low morning light, they tell a very different story. Quickly emailed them to my desktop and yep. OIL. This is much better news than thinking I dropped a seal on the cooler.

Just may do a valve adjustment today if things go as planned. Gasket set has been collecting dust for at least two years.

Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2014, 04:58 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

yup... in place repair or engine drop?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by redridge
yup... in place repair or engine drop?
Easy in place. With no heater blower, no airbox, no cruise, and no A/C it will be about 10 minutes in and out. Hope I have the right tools.

Normal stock 3,2 engine bay, removing the airbox would give sufficient access. Dropping the engine 3" would make it even easier. Ya know, removing the lower airbox nuts and brace nut and leaving it attached to the AFM and undoing the hose clamp to remove the AFM and airbox as a unit may be easier than removing the airbox by its self.

Today I ended up helping my brother. He is distraught over a blown head gasket on his Turbo Diesel King Ranch. and no, I ain't gonna do that job.

I think I will do the thermostat and upper valves in one go, then lower valves and swap in manual flapper boxes another time. I have almost everything ready for the manual heat backdate.

Quick Reply: A bit of an update