Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this while draining the tank yesterday. It looks like the quick disconnects in the cap have snapped off. On a scale of 1-10, how important is this?

Located here:

Old 10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
CVDH
Racer

Damn, I was still cobbling MGs together when I was your age. Good luck, pal!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

That is the warning light contacts for the brake fluid level. Will not prevent you from driving , but should be repaired (new cap) sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by 4boer
I found this while draining the tank yesterday. It looks like the quick disconnects in the cap have snapped off. On a scale of 1-10, how important is this?

Located here:

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

thats a 1.

lights an idiot light. if yours is not lit up i would wonder why.

a lot of cars dont even have a light for this , no big deal at all. it just indicates your fluid level is dropping usually due to worn brakes. i guess a catastrophic failure would cause it to empty but you would know before the light told you.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 AM
4boer
Intermediate

Just as I thought, thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

I think this is a awesome project!

Kudos to you.. at your age.. I am impressed

Good luck.. and post updates
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Much progress made. Plugs are out. Hats off to Porsche for that spark plug tool.
All of the plugs were oily:

I found two unconnected things in the engine bay. My guess is that the first is for a diagnostic tool (edit: that is the oxygen sensor tester). Wait that means the sensor wasn't even connected?!?!?!?! I have no idea what the quick disconnects are for. Both are located in the red square. Also, can I drive with the A/C lines disconnected? Or take the belt off?

Last edited by 4boer; 10-12-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Got some stuff done over the weekend. Replaced DME relay, drained the oil, and hook up the boat battery. The passenger side seat and speakers don't work . There was another unconnected thing under the drivers seat, but I'm not going to worry about it because it almost all works. First time under the car and saw some yucky stuff. This white stuff was in the oil tank drain plug (with some small metallic fragments) and there has to be a bad gasket somewhere:

Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
4boer
Intermediate

It started!!! Needed a little help from the throttle but then it roared to life. Thank you to this forum and thank you to everyone who helped and responded.

For those who want to stay on board, there is still more to do. Remember the original problem (running rough)? Well, it still exists, even though I plugged the O2 in. It only runs rough under load. It idles fine and revs in neutral fine. Does that rule out injector problems? Oil spews out of what looks to be the passenger side heat exchange? Also, the key cylinder is hit or miss when trying to start it. I plan to just let that be.

P.S. I plan to make a little video like that epic NSX one about this (I get it from making ski edits).

Pics:

Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 PM
4boer
Intermediate

I was re-connecting the radio today an accidentally touched the red (constant 12v) and yellow (ignition 12v) together. I blew a 5 amp (yellow) fuse. What store can I get these at? Do I have to order them online?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Most local auto/parts stores have them..Checker, etc.
The stuff on the oil drain plug was condensation in the oil...gets a muddly gray look to it.
That's from very short trips that does not get the engine to operating temp so when it cools (sweats) there is not enough heat in the block to burn off the condensation. Try to always get it to temp (190ish) at least.
Also take it easy til warmed up (needle out of the lower white block on your temp gauge)...I shift at 3 to 3.2 k and accelerate smoothly until it is well out of that indicated range...10 min usually.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:26 PM
pmarnell
8th Gear

4Boer - good thread. I had to reply to let you know how weird it is to have read your intro. I own a 2004 4Runner, 2008 Land Cruiser and an 89' Targa 911. Too funny. I wish you lived in Atlanta so I could hire you as my mechanic!!

Good luck with the Targa. Sounds like you're making great progress.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:49 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

For the plugs.... The first one that is a 3-connector with offset terminals is for the O2 sensor. Having it unplugged is not a killer. It runs the DME in open-loop where the fuel map tends to be richer and the car "feels" like it has more torque and power.

Regarding the two quick disconnects, I have the same two in my car and have been wondering about their function. I think they are for cars with rear wiper. I haven't checked the schematics, but that is my assumption.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Over the weekend, I drove the car, my first time driving a clutch btw. I picked it up really quickly. 5 minutes and only 3 stalls later, I was good enough to be on the streets. The only problem is that 1st gear is really hard to find. The clutch is heavy, but I love the non-power steering and brakes. It was a blast. Also, I got the radio soldered in. The stock speakers are awful though. Good thing the engine sounds great.

So, the engine. When ever the engine is under load, no matter what gear, the entire car shakes and vibrates. There is no power either. And it's not being in too high of a gear. Does that fact that we are using 87 instead of 91 make much of a difference?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pmarnell
4Boer - good thread. I had to reply to let you know how weird it is to have read your intro. I own a 2004 4Runner, 2008 Land Cruiser and an 89' Targa 911. Too funny. I wish you lived in Atlanta so I could hire you as my mechanic!!

Good luck with the Targa. Sounds like you're making great progress.
I would love that job!

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
For the plugs.... The first one that is a 3-connector with offset terminals is for the O2 sensor. Having it unplugged is not a killer. It runs the DME in open-loop where the fuel map tends to be richer and the car "feels" like it has more torque and power.

Regarding the two quick disconnects, I have the same two in my car and have been wondering about their function. I think they are for cars with rear wiper. I haven't checked the schematics, but that is my assumption.
Sounds like a very logical guess. I'll leave them be.

Quick Reply: Project Porsche