Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
awesome thread, lots of cool stuff in here! Lovely 912, and GL with the mistress.
Thanks. Hopefully I do have good luck with the Ferrari. So far, so good.

Yesterday I drove the 912 around 425 miles to take some parts to the guy who bought my Corvette. I had overlooked the brake drums as I had them stored away in a cabinet. It was mostly interstate but on the way back, to avoid rush hour traffic in Charlotte, I took the back way home on two lane roads. What a great car to enjoy some of the many sports car roads we have in this area. The car performed flawlessly. It was a beautiful fall day to enjoy the colors. one of the last of this year as the leaves are falling fast.

The guy who bought my Corvette enjoys entering cars in judged shows. He has entered two so far with the Corvette. One was an all Corvette show with 76 cars. He got best of show with my old car. Last weekend his club put on a show. Since his club was doing the show, he could not enter the competition. However, there were Goodguys reps there from SC and GA. Out of 241 cars, they gave six "Rodder's Picks" and he got one of them with the Corvette.

He felt really good about that. It made me feel good as well. He is fighting cancer so these show successes help him feel better. He's a good guy and I am glad he ended up with the car. It has a great home.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

thats what its all about right there... No matter what you are into in life, its all about the people and the experience you share. Good stuff for sure... keep up the many good work that you do.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:02 AM
jerhofer
Racer

My buddy Dave and I have been enjoying attending the F1 race in Austin. We bought our seats in the section reserved by the Hill Country region. I lived near Austin from 2005-07 so I have some familiarity with the area. I also was their newsletter editor for a short time before my job situation forced a move. So I knew some people in their region.

Which is why I signed us up to attend their function at The Salt Lick, arguably the best known BBQ place near Austin. There was a special display of Porsches from 1967 to current cars. That 1967 911S was especially interesting to me because of my car being a '67. The original owner had the car until 2009. It is all original including paint. I talked with the owner for quite awhile. It was a great car.

Another notable car was a real 959.

However, the stars of the show were the two Singer 911's. Both cars were spectacular with the gray car having a slight edge over the green car.

After feasting our eyes on the cars it was time for some great BBQ followed by Derek Bell entertaining us with some great stories from his Porsche driving days. A great time was had by all.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome pictures! Amazing hardware on display - thanks for posting!

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 PM
jerhofer
Racer

My new seats just arrived. I will have to make spacers to mount the tracks and then paint them and the floor mounts before I install them. Eagerly anticipating how they will look in the car.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:15 PM
silver69
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed your Corvette build, this one looks just as nice.
Great job.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by silver69
I followed your Corvette build, this one looks just as nice.
Great job.
Thanks. The Porsche is kind of on the back burner at present. To be safe, my son and I pulled the motor on the Ferrari to install a new cam belt. I am also putting in a new clutch while the motor is out. I worked on removing the fender liner panels and other items on the list I found for about four hours last Saturday. Sunday my son arrived around 8:00 and by 2:00 the motor was sitting on the table I built. Not too bad a job. I understand that putting it back in is more difficult as there are 22 bolt holes to line up!!!

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:31 PM
jerhofer
Racer

And I now have this gem to play with. I took this 1960 Ford Falcon on trade on the 1957 Chevrolet. Still trying to cash out the Corvette. It is a decent car that I don's have to sell for much money to come out OK on the Corvette. Another 6 cyl with three speed on the column.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I had some time this afternoon to work on installing my new seats. The seats came with new rails and brackets. Initially I installed the rails directly to the seat but this made the bar for moving the seat forward/rearward so close to the bottom of the seat that you could not release the tracks to slide the seat. I bought some 1" square bar and drilled holes make a spacer between the seat and the slider mechanism.

The mounting brackets fit the existing mounting holes but the seat nearly fit in between the two brackets rather than sitting on top of it so I could mount it. After discussing this with the seat supplier, I cut some flat steel to use as a crossmember with the seat mounting to the crossmember. This mounting bracket came with a seat belt mounting hole which I do not need. I will be cutting off this ear. Once I have all of the brackets cut and shaped to size, I will remove the seat and brackets so that I can paint the brackets. Once the paint has dried, I will complete the installation of the seats.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Always liked the plaid/hounds tooth cloth seats. Classy period look.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by Reiver
Always liked the plaid/hounds tooth cloth seats. Classy period look.
Thanks.

Didn't have a lot of time to spend on the car today but I did get the other seat installed. I needed some more bar stock to make the brackets for the second seat and discovered some 1/4" bar which is a lot stronger than the bar I had previously installed. After drilling the holes, the seat was mounted. Tomorrow I will remove the seats, clean up the mounting brackets, cut off the tabs and then paint everything.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I finished up the seat installation today. I removed the seat and all of the brackets. The four side brackets had provisions for attaching a seat belt which I did not need. I cut off the ears with my Sawzall and then used my grinder to finish the metal. I also rounded all the edges on the cross bars to make them look better. The next step was bead blasting all of them prior to applying paint.

The paint was quick drying so I installed the brackets and spacers. After mounting the seats, I backed the car into the driveway to get some finished photos.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:36 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I have the motor ready to put back in the Ferrari but my son is on vacation until next week. Sometime after Christmas it will be re-installed in the car. I have documented the Ferrari project on my car blog at: www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

So today I had some time to get back on some projects for the Porsche.

I bought four used 912 badges in order to make two 912-6 badges. I cut off one of the nines from two badges, turned the nine upside down to make a six and then placed it next to the 912 to form 912-6. Painted them black and installed one of them on the deck lid.

When I pull the motor I intend to swap the cabriolet engine mount bracket for the original type. I had previously painted the long piece. Today I bead blasted and painted the center piece.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Back in November my buddy Dave and I visited the "Porsche by Design:Seducing Speed" exhibit at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. It was a spectacular show. I finally got around to processing the photos and posted then with commentary on my car blog at: Porsche by Design at NC Museum of Art | Jerry Forthofer's Car Blog

The show has been extended to February 2nd.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What an amazing thread. Subscribed!

Quick Reply: Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6