Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cruise Control Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Cruise Control Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)

I had my cc module rebuilt in 2005 when I bought my car since it did not work. I haven't had any issues with it over the past eight years and lots of use.

About eight months ago, it started acting up and wouldn't engage. I suspected that either the module was going or perhaps the cc switch, the brake interrupt switch, or the clutch interrupt switch were acting up.

Not too long after that, I realized the cc was malfunctioning in the same area on a local military base/port. I also receive a radar alert on my Valentine One without any obvious emitter in the same area.

Anyone experience this?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wear a lead cup over your nads, lol!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

LED or LL tail/stop bulbs in the meantime..???
Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

???
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Leds are diodes and ALWAYS drop a fraction of a volt or more. LL bulbs have higher non-operating resistance. Stray voltage on the brake light circuit will act the same as if you stepped on the brake.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Actually looking to hear from anyone who has had this happen to them.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Got this fixed. Turns out for my 88 there are two brake pressure switches in the frunk. When you press the brake pedal and the fluid pressure rises, it signals the brake lights to turn on and the cruise control to turn off. There are two switches so in case one fails, the other is a backup.

Replaced both of these switches. One was shot and the other was on its way. After replacement, my cruise control has had zero hiccups and the brake lights come on with less pedal movement.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh wow. You know what, I had the same issue and the same results. Years ago I noticed my cruse control wouldn't work and didn't think anything of it. I monkeyed around with the cluster switch and gave up on it. Later discovered I had no brake lights. Replaced the switches and didn't connect the two but I did have a working cruse control after that. Since removed the cruse and have replaced the switches again because the lights were not coming on as soon as I would have liked them to. Nice to put two and two together.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

those pressure switches are so silly... so silly Porsche put 2 of them.

Thanks for the heads up that we dont need to deal with EMI and such, the 911 is as analogue its gonna get....
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cruise control uses a cam lever that is actuated by the pedal.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Well the gremlins were not done. This summer, the cruise control started acting up again just after getting to Stuttgart. Not a big deal as traffic and construction in Germany is far worse than the States. That combined with Sunday morning drives in the Black Forest and there was little need for it. However, my OCD prevents me from not having things work perfectly.

Brought the car to Porsche Flughafen (airport) in Stuttgart as the dealership at the factory/museum doesn't work on the old cars and referred me to Porsche Classic about 15 minutes outside of Stuttgart. Of course they have a several month waiting list. That's when I discovered the other dealership in Stuttgart. Much nicer folks and quite a bit more like a small US dealer. About five or six cars in the showroom. First time I visited, they took me on a tour of the place including the workshop. Very clean and they were happy to show me several of the classic cars they were working on.

They took a look and thought the cruise control, or tempostat, as they called it, was malfunctioning due to the clutch switch so they replaced it and said t was good. I picked up the car on the way to vacation in Garmisch and Salzburg. Quite a ways down the road I engaged the cruise control and no workie. For the next several days of driving I tried it multiple times with the same result. Upon return to Stuttgart, the dealer apologized profusely and replaced the stalk switch which fixed the problem and it has worked perfectly. They didn't charge any labor and only charged half price for the part based on what I saw on Pelican. To boot, they sent us off with a bottle of Porsche labeled champagne. I've found that parts prices are about the same through the dealer as through Pelican or Suncoast with shipping. I save the 19% VAT as US military get an exemption in Germany so that goes a long way. All in all, I've been pretty satisfied with the service here.

The biggest surprise has been the lack of old Porsches on the road. They don't keep them. Even our 7 year old Cayman is a rare sight. All the Caymans you see are the new design.

I stopped by Porsche Classic a few weeks ago. What a great little shop with a bunch of old mechanics. It was just as I'd expected. A small workshop tucked away in a small town. There were three 959s in the shop having various things done. I am going to get some work done in the Spring when it is time to change back to summer tires. The prices for pads, rotors, and shocks were all competitive with back home. Later. I am going to see if they are able to restore my factory alarm which was gutted long ago by a PO. Just think it would be cool to have the original system in the car. After that, it is time for new seat leather, carpeting, and getting seat heaters installed. Figure it is worth doing by Porsche Classic. That would be a neat thing to have int receipt records!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

makes you wonder where on earth are all the older ones then if they dont keep more than 7 years
?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)