Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to me 1989 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:17 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fogdweller5
LOVE the color of your totaled 991. I've been lusting after this 86' Targa, but waaay over-priced ($52k w/57k miles).

As much as I love the coupe lines, the Targas keep beckoning me . . .

Nice Targa thread, would love to see/hear more.
Looks like my cars twin

Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM
lucky strike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some great pics.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Michael T
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep my Targa at our son's house. A friend had a black 2006 997 S with 38k miles for sale. Our son joined the 911 club yesterday, with this purchase.

Later today, the third condenser install starts
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Michael T
Racer

I began the installation of a Zims third condenser in front of the driver's rear wheel. First, I labeled each of the wires, for the ground, to the fuse box (hot), to the compressor (hot) and then out to the fan on the new condenser. I had to tap into the compressor to get power for a relay that I mounted on top of the rear fuse box. I drilled a small hole aft of the rear fuse box and painted it with touch up paint. I also put heat shrink wrap where it went through the metal as added insulation. A ground is behind the fuel filter. The last photo shows the ground bolt in the extendable mirror. I ran the new power wire for the new condenser up along the sheathing for the rear hood release in the fender well.
Attached Images           
Old 11-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Michael T
Racer

I ran into trouble mounting the condenser. It is to sit on top of the torsion bar. It looks like they sent me the one for the Turbo which has a longer bracket. I think it needs to have a flush bracket like what was in their instruction photos. I will call them in the morning to get this sorted out. Hopefully, they can just send the smaller bracket as it simply bolts on the condenser frame.
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Michael T
Racer

I spoke to Zims and they are sending me the correct bracket for the condenser. I will report back once I get it installed, evacuated and charged. Hopefully this week.

I finally got around to replacing my door light switches, bezels and rubber insulator. They were working about 90% of the time.

No need to disconnect the battery as they are grounding switches. After prying off the round rubber sheathing, I used an 11mm nutdriver to remove the switch. I used a hemostat to keep the wire from falling back in the fender. The bezel is attached with a press-fit washer. The wires crimped in place. I spun the wires counter clockwise about five turns, before I spun them back in clockwise. Then I replaced the rubber sheathing and all done.
Attached Images      
Old 12-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Michael T
Racer

Default Zims wheelwell 3rd condenser

I had to return the condenser for the correct one, but Zims sent the new one next day. It mounts with one screw at the top right. I used a broken drill bit with only a 1/4 inch stub so when it went through the wheelwell it would not puncture the interior. The bottom rests on the torsion bar and attached with zip ties. I may get a large hose clamp to replace the zip ties. I also put in a snap connector for the power to the fan.

I brought it to Neil's Air Conditioning in the Heights. He only charged $225 to fabricate two hoses, evacuate and recharge. I had 29 degree vent temps on the way home. Be interested when summer comes how it does. All in about $800.

Next project will be a new windshield, I got some additional stone chips. I need to research this. My windshield has an antenna that attaches on the passenger bottom.
Attached Images      
Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you replace any hoses? The old hoses are like sieves.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Michael T
Racer

Ed, I should have mentioned that all the hoses, compressor, evaporator were changed about five years ago by the previous owner. They also put in a ProCooler at the same time, which looks to be the subject of some debate as to its worth. It was converted to R134. The front and rear condensors are original.

Last edited by Michael T; 12-13-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You should have cold AC! That other work is what is needed to make them effective. Most reports are north of $2K, if not 3K to do a rehab on an 80's Carrera.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Michael T
Racer

First off, Happy New Year! I was planning to replace the front speakers today, but I ran into trouble on the windshield replacement and do not have my car back. I had ordered a new front rubber molding (Porsche 911 part number) and brought the car into American Auto Glass in the Heights for its new windshield. I got a call two days ago from Robert that the molding did not fit. Apparently, they switched to a 964 part. I ordered another one from Pelican Parts and I should have the molding tomorrow for installation on Monday.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Michael T
Racer

The glass came out great. Antenna works fine. As mentioned earlier the molding was a 964 part. The replacement was Pilkington. We had our first warm day and I was able to bring the vents down from 100+ degrees to 35 degrees fairly quickly. I am a believer in the third condenser.
Attached Images     
Old 02-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Michael T
Racer

I put in Pioneer D-series (1330) separates. I did not use the tweeters as my old ones were in good shape, and the new ones were smaller. I did need to buy new moldings for the tweeters. Note the speaker grill on the tweeter spins off. It is also canted.

I had the door pockets off and there was a plastic keeper as part of door pull that I replaced. They were looking pretty worn. I have about $280 in my stereo total and it sounds fairly good. Nothing like the Bose in the 991, but worth the money. I have the back 4x6 speakers faded down to 2. They are fairly worthless.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Michael T; 02-16-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Michael T
Racer

i drove out to Kerrville for the Hill Country Rallye. car ran well, but the evaporator frooze over coming out of Houston. it was about 85 degrees and had just rained. This even happened with the set point set fairly low where it was cycling between 35 and 50 degree vent temps. Once I let it thaw and some drier air in the car, no problems, until......
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You may have a low charge, to cause coil icing.

Quick Reply: New to me 1989 Targa