Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Its not a matter of if the car came equipped with 7's and 8's, the fact that it was an factory option or factory sponsered dealership option is all that matters. Think of it this way if you could have gone to Porsche dealership in 1984 and ticked a box on the order form for that part you want to install.. then you can install that part! Which means if you had deep enough pockets you could flare the fenders, rock turbo suspension and brakes on your car and still be within rules for the stock! The only caveat being that you can install parts of an option, so if you just wanted turbo brakes, that was part of the bigger m491 package so you'd have to go full blown

But it still gives you a LOT of stuff you can do within the rules! For example the US spec car was technically an option, you could remove the catalytic converter and say they you're using the RoW option code instead! Heres a nice PDF of all the option codes from 64-03, double check them to make sure they were available in 84

http://members.rennlist.com/vilhuer/options.pdf
I trust you've got experience with the SCCA rulebook, trunk kits, manufacturer specification, and assorted homologation pieces........oh since the '60s when all this stuff started?

Also, I see reference to replica Fuchs? Cast replica Fuchs? For any kind of competition?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the oil cooler fan still work up in the right front fender? You can bypass the thermoswitch with a simple jumper wire in the connection just inside the trunk where the wire goes through a small bulkhead grommet. You are going to need cool oil and without a working fan, that ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Does the oil cooler fan still work up in the right front fender? You can bypass the thermoswitch with a simple jumper wire in the connection just inside the trunk where the wire goes through a small bulkhead grommet. You are going to need cool oil and without a working fan, that ain't gonna happen.
No factory fan in '84.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Its not a matter of if the car came equipped with 7's and 8's, the fact that it was an factory option or factory sponsered dealership option is all that matters. Think of it this way if you could have gone to Porsche dealership in 1984 and ticked a box on the order form for that part you want to install.. then you can install that part! Which means if you had deep enough pockets you could flare the fenders, rock turbo suspension and brakes on your car and still be within rules for the stock! The only caveat being that you can install parts of an option, so if you just wanted turbo brakes, that was part of the bigger m491 package so you'd have to go full blown

But it still gives you a LOT of stuff you can do within the rules! For example the US spec car was technically an option, you could remove the catalytic converter and say they you're using the RoW option code instead! Heres a nice PDF of all the option codes from 64-03, double check them to make sure they were available in 84

http://members.rennlist.com/vilhuer/options.pdf
So how would this approach apply to my lack of AC? Could I legitimately claim it was an option? Front chin spolier too?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Originally Posted by race911
I trust you've got experience with the SCCA rulebook, trunk kits, manufacturer specification, and assorted homologation pieces........oh since the '60s when all this stuff started?

Also, I see reference to replica Fuchs? Cast replica Fuchs? For any kind of competition?
Semi-forged race911. Designed for historic racing and tarmac rallying in Europe.

http://www.braidusa.com/Wheels/Comp/BZ/BZ.htm
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No factory fan in '84.
Really? Ouch! What was your set up?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Mine doesn't have a fan.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

sweet sarcasm....

Like I said I would double check with the SCCA, A/C was an option I don't see why the deletion of that option would be disallowed but check with your local group. I can't see the scrutineers getting too upset at a rally-x about not having an A/C installed... It doesn't hurt to ask

I've run a couple auto-x and one rally-x with the SCCA, but rally is not very big with the SCCA. I can't even recall if I had a tech inspection at that rally-x, I think they check my lug nuts, and safety equipment that was all..... I was a co driver in Rally America, and I ran a couple event with Rally America, before I broke the crank of my 83 saab.... So perhaps my understanding of the SCCA rulebook is not as indepth as Ken's. Right now I'm trying to secure a ride for a CAMS (Australia), Looking for a nice super 1600, but its not as popular down under and I might have to go Group 3C which is like a Group A equiv down under
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86 I believe was the first year for the fans? Won't matter too much, rally-x is pretty much like running an auto-x but on dirt or snow, not SS or anything extended

Last edited by mfyoung1086; 12-06-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: I suck at embeding videos
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM
team illuminata
Racer

My car came with a carbon fiber duck tail in the back seat. As far as I can tell it has never been installed though it is not in pristine condition as it has two scratches in the jell coat. I think I'll sell it but I don't know what it's worth. It only weighs 11lbs!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Wow, I'm in. How much?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Wow, I'm in. How much?
I don't know. trying to do some research. $500?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...duck-tail.html
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by team illuminata
I don't know. trying to do some research. $500?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...duck-tail.html
I honestly don't have the money, but I assure you it is worth a healthy chunk.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...EL-MA911-DUCKC
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
team illuminata
Racer

I honestly don't have the money, but I assure you it is worth a healthy chunk.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...EL-MA911-DUCKC
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by team illuminata
I'm guessing that at $300 it would be gone by morning. That is my final offer.

Quick Reply: New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project