Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

912E value??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 912E value??

I was just wondering what you guys think the value of a '76 912E is? I've been looking at one and am kinda into it..

It's got 200k miles, engine was recently rebuilt by the owner.
I checked it out pretty thoroughly and it seems in decent condition. It's been repainted in it's non-original color and could probably use some refreshing. The wheels have been refinished and look nice, new tires.

It needs new tie rod ends, the CV joints on the transaxles are weeping some fluid. Needs a the door pocket on the drivers side. It has some sketchy stereo work with speakers just sitting in the back seats. It looks like someone closed the read hatch with something in the engine compartment so it has a few dents coming upwards with some paint chipping. Converted to Webers and runs nice, transmission feels a little notchy.

No rust on the underbody, rockers, wheel wells. It does have rust spots under the windshield and at the windshield wipers. It has a sunroof.

The dude's asking $9,900. I think it's a little hight but was looking for some other opinions. This is the first 912e I've ever checked out..

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Jeese, sounds like my car, only nicer....

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the "dude" has it overpriced by at least $3000. Do you live in a state that requires 1976 cars to meet smog requirements? If so, good luck with this car, having been converted to carbs...
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I sold a much rougher 912e about 3 years ago for $7500. These cars are appreciating in their own little niche. Many consider a '76 912e worth more than a '76 base model 911. Based on what I am seeing out there on a car with only 1500+ made, he's right in the market ballpark. It's a weird one, and 911 guys look down their nose at it, but 912 guys covet them.

That said, unless you specifically want a 912E, you can probably find a similar condition and mileage 911SC for the same $10K.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of 7k, as it does need some work.. I live in VA and I don't think we have smog tests... There aren't many Porsche people around, so buying and selling them is a rare occurrance, there's def. no waiting line to check out the car..I've been thinking about SCs too, but there just aren't many around...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Smog can be a problem on 912E's. Make sure what your State requires. I sold mine in 1981 for $11,000 and it was perfect. The prices really have not changed much since then. I would say use 10K as a very nice driver condition car and subtract reconditioning needed from there.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a thread a while ago that discussed the merits of a 912. The same guy that was the OP, wrote an article in a magazine about his experiences.

Here's the link to the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...t-my-mind.html
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/912-foru...highlight=912e
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Freipo, Where do I start? They made 2099 of them. I owned one for 15 years and it was really economical to own. However, things change with age. The engine is a 914-4 2.0 Liter motor, but the 912E has different heads. They are almost unobtainable if you are unable to repair them. If you are in a state with smog requirements, it had better have the thermal reactors. Unless you can find them used (in good shape), they cost $500 and up apiece. The exhaust system is peculiar The heat exchangers are different from the 914's (look very similar to the 911 HE's, but with different output flanges and cost upwards of $1200 (at my last check) each. Since the HE's are different, the exhaust flanges on the muffler are different. The factory muffler looks like a 911 muffler but that's a close as it gets. It can cost over $1000 unless you can find someone who wants to get rid of one. I used a Bursch system once to see what performance I could get with it. The Bursch mufflers for a 912E are made in Mexico and are very cheap costwise, but not made well. Rattled like heck and sounded like a BB in a boxcar on my 912E. The intake boot connecting the air Flow Meter to the filter box is No Longer Available (NLA) anywhere. Unless you do go to carburetors, that'll be an unsolvavle situation. The 912E was designated the 923 and I don't know if parts are readily available just anywhere. I never had any problems with mine even after autocrossing it for 15 years. But I did maintain it meticulously and it served me well. If the transmission is notchy and parts are available, that could cost you $2500 + depending on who does the repair. that rust around the base of the windshield will require fixing and if done properly could set you back quite a bit.

Based on what I got from your assessment of the vehicle, I don't think it is worth more than $5500 and assumes none of the above are impactors. Parts for the rest of the car are basically 911.

In my opinion, after owning 19 Porsches in 44 years, I would find a nicely kept SC or Carrera. Based on what i think you may have to do to the 912E, you'll be money ahead and enjoy the ownership a lot more. Owning a Porsche is like peeling an onion. You really don't know what's inside until you start peeling it. Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 AM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

Based on your description I would agree in the $5500-$6K range at best. I have enjoyed mine it's been a reliable driver, good gas mileage, and well balanced driver. I would try and find a decent 911SC in the $9-10K range you will appreciate the extra horsepower and power brakes.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. It's already been converted to 40mm Webers and VA doesn't require smog checks on cars older than 25 years, so I don't have to worry about that. It's also been converted to a MSD electronic ignition. I've been going back and forth on it and thinking about an SC a little more. I'd pick it up if I can get a deal on it, I'm probably going to offer him $5500 and see what happens. I've already got an 08 Cayman and it would be my 3rd Porsche so I'm just looking for a classic to cruise around.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MillenniumFalcon
Jeese, sounds like my car, only nicer....

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the "dude" has it overpriced by at least $3000. Do you live in a state that requires 1976 cars to meet smog requirements? If so, good luck with this car, having been converted to carbs...
The seller ain't gonna like that but that's about right.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Nice 912E's are becoming very scarce. It would be great if you could rescue this one and keep it on the road.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Fixer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Freipo
I was just wondering what you guys think the value of a '76 912E is? I've been looking at one and am kinda into it..

It's got 200k miles, engine was recently rebuilt by the owner.
I checked it out pretty thoroughly and it seems in decent condition. It's been repainted in it's non-original color and could probably use some refreshing. The wheels have been refinished and look nice, new tires.

It needs new tie rod ends, the CV joints on the transaxles are weeping some fluid. Needs a the door pocket on the drivers side. It has some sketchy stereo work with speakers just sitting in the back seats. It looks like someone closed the read hatch with something in the engine compartment so it has a few dents coming upwards with some paint chipping. Converted to Webers and runs nice, transmission feels a little notchy.

No rust on the underbody, rockers, wheel wells. It does have rust spots under the windshield and at the windshield wipers. It has a sunroof.

The dude's asking $9,900. I think it's a little hight but was looking for some other opinions. This is the first 912e I've ever checked out..

Thanks!
That is a rare car and 912s have really climbed in value. My Father in Law had a 912E when i met my Wife and it was the first Porsche i drove.

I think in good driver condition a 912E could bring high 20s easy at auction.
9000 may be a fair price.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Originally Posted by from prussia with love
That is a rare car and 912s have really climbed in value. My Father in Law had a 912E when i met my Wife and it was the first Porsche i drove.

I think in good driver condition a 912E could bring high 20s easy at auction.
9000 may be a fair price.
Maybe in Prussia but not in the USA. $6K sounds about right.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Freipo
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info...

I ended up offering the guy $5,500, I haven't heard back from him so I'm guessing I probably hit a wrong note on that. I forgot that it also needed carpets in the front trunk and that the heater fan wasn't working. I just can't see paying more than $6K for it because it needs so much.

Quick Reply: 912E value??