Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool Some assembly required...

Because I don't have enough to keep me busy

1981 911 SC

And a few boxes with parts (so glad I took a friend's Tundra! )

Front and Rear RS styled fiberglass bumpers

4 Rota Fuchs styled 17" wheels (2-17" x 7.5 Front and 2-17" x 9 back ) - I need help figuring out what tires to order for these rim... not modifying the fenders/qtr panels...

New gas tank

Boxes with original parts, spare parts, new parts... RS Door Panels, RS Carpet, etc.

Two sport seats

4 new tires for the 16" wheels... not mounted, need to remove the stock wheels and get those mounted.

I know I am missing a few parts... but I now need to start sorting everything and group them.

Still trying to decide the route I want to take with this one.

The seats will go into the RSR 3.0 project...

Last edited by Wachuko; 12-11-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Better title
Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, you are nuts.

What's the story?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by amber lamps
First off, you are nuts.

What's the story?
I know, there is something wrong with me... and my buddy kept reminding me all the way on the drive back.

Always looking at craiglist and local listings just for fun. Came across this one in Jacksonville and decided to make an offer based on the photos. When we got there the paint and some areas of the body were not what I expected... still drove away with the car.

I was not a great deal, more like a fair deal. PO was getting a divorce, thus the reason for the sale. Need to install the fuel injectors, fuel injector lines, tank, pump, etc. to get the engine running again.

Previous owner bought the car in 2001 (if I remember correctly). He wanted to make it into an RS narrow bodied car. He had a local shop go over the engine, check/replace valve guides, top end, etc. In the process he powdercoated a lot of parts along the way.

Interior is completely stripped, with all the gunk removed. Perfect for completing the cleaning and painting the inside to leave it without carpets or install the included RS styled carpet. Headliner is black and looks to be in excellent condition. Dash was replaced but the one installed already has a few cracks. H4 headlights.

Something is not right with the quarter windows... looks like they were removed and installed incorrectly. They just don't look aligned correctly with the door. Also, passenger rear quarter panel has some rust at the bottom of the front side (right next to the door). And there is little rust on the passenger front fender at the bottom (also right next to door ).

It had a repaint (prior to PO getting the car), not done well at all.

All in all, it will need fixing of the body areas with rust, fixing a few dime-size dents in the doors, and a complete respray.

Like I said... still not sure what route to take with it... but I will work on it this weekend to get the fuel system installed and get it to turn on to check the condition of the engine and transmission.

I will take more photos in the next few days. We got home late yesterday and by the time we unloaded everything into my garage, it was late, I was tired... and I smelled like a skunk!

Last edited by Wachuko; 09-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

So not sure if to repaint in original color (looks like a black metallic paint with a dark grey hue to it...), or repaint it in Ivory or Light Olive/Lead Green, or Grey...

I am thinking something along the lines of this one (lousy photo editing of the orignal photo to see how it would look with a vintage rear view mirror)

Last edited by Wachuko; 09-05-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool project! Any weight goals?

My 2 cents on style:

1) love the colour in the above pic, but not a fan of the checkered roof or the painted headlight rim accent.
2) love the rs style bumpers, not a fan of the vintage side mirror. I would vote for a ducktail to complete the look.
3) Porsche script on side looks great, but I'm not personally a fan of those front hood latches.

Looking forward to following this one!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM
clay1977
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an awesome project. As for the color I don't think you can go wrong: powder blue, white, silver, orange or black would all look sharp. Looking forward to seeing the pics as it progresses!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Cool project! Any weight goals?

My 2 cents on style:

1) love the colour in the above pic, but not a fan of the checkered roof or the painted headlight rim accent.
2) love the rs style bumpers, not a fan of the vintage side mirror. I would vote for a ducktail to complete the look.
3) Porsche script on side looks great, but I'm not personally a fan of those front hood latches.

Looking forward to following this one!
Yes... not doing the checkered roof... headlight rim will be in the color of the car. I can always vinyl wrap the trim or use a spare chrome set that I have if I wanted to change the looks.

I am so all over the place... one side is saying "Go Retro with these seats, minimalistic interior, older style rear view mirrors, no wing, center fill tank, etc."

or

Already ordered the Momo Prototipo Steering wheel and shift ****. Getting some leather tomorrow to redo the dash in leather... would love to do the stitching to match the steering wheel, but I can't saw even if my life depended on it (will see try to find a local shop to see if they can do the stitching)

Photo I found with some of the stuff I like to see installed in my car (no, not planning to paint the car that color...)

and the other side is saying "Go Racing this these seats, 993 style rear view mirrors... RS wing, etc. Just make it into a narrow body RS..."

So at this point... forget about trying to decide on a color!

First things first. Let's get it running again. I ordered new injectors and o-rings... figured that since it has a new tank, new fuel sender new gaskets, new everything fuel related, the only thing missing was a new set of injectors... Plan is to be able to turn it on Sunday night... will see...

Last edited by Wachuko; 09-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by clay1977
What an awesome project. As for the color I don't think you can go wrong: powder blue, white, silver, orange or black would all look sharp. Looking forward to seeing the pics as it progresses!
I am not too afraid of colors... there are limits of course ...

There is a green that I am trying to find photos of... it is like lighter olive green mixed with gun metal green ... can't describe the frigging color... Interior is going to be black... that is set since the headliner is in excellent condition and I do not plan to change it. So is the RS carpet set...

Ideas are welcomed...
Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 AM
arne
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Tire sizes for the Rotas - either 205/50-17 or 225/45-17 for the front, 255/40-17 rear. The rolling radius of those sizes will be about the same as stock.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
clay1977
Track Day

"There is a green that I am trying to find photos of... it is like lighter olive green mixed with gun metal green ... "

Maybe something like one of these?

Delphi Green Metallic:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sjxVBrh-hd...B911%2B008.jpg

Dark Olive:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1227309621.jpg

Light Olive:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1207133845.jpg

???:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleripp/4209459447/

(sorry for the links; can't access Photobucket at work)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thank you!!

This is the color:

All I need to find out now is the color code. I will ask in the 356 forum here on Rennlist.

Thanks again!!

Originally Posted by clay1977
"There is a green that I am trying to find photos of... it is like lighter olive green mixed with gun metal green ... "

Maybe something like one of these?

Delphi Green Metallic:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sjxVBrh-hd...B911%2B008.jpg

Dark Olive:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1227309621.jpg

Light Olive:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1207133845.jpg

???:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleripp/4209459447/

(sorry for the links; can't access Photobucket at work)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by arne
Tire sizes for the Rotas - either 205/50-17 or 225/45-17 for the front, 255/40-17 rear. The rolling radius of those sizes will be about the same as stock.
Welcome to Rennlist!!

Going to get me a set of tires for those wheels.

Ordering some 225/45-17 for the front and 255/40-17 for the rear wheels.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Just a post for parking lot of ideas...

I am between two colors now...

This:

Or this: In fact, this is what I want the front of my car to look like... I have everything to do this. But using the H4 lights I have, not the older ones this owner used in his car. Gorgeous car by the way... see the build thread here: The Project 911R something

Details on the lip and oil cooler grill

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
clay1977
Track Day

Could it me Malachite or Granite green? Check these out:

http://teamspeed.com/forums/porsches...d-porsche.html

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...page=1&rows=50
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Got the color code:

Originally Posted by RJT
Looks like Jade Green Metallic #5405

Stock 356 color in 54 & 55

Quick Reply: Why not... another project...