Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Raising/Lifting the car - Jack method discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising/Lifting the car - Jack method discussion...

Hi all,

Most of you work on your 911s a good bit more than I do. I've done a few things and have a pretty long list of tasks I would like to accomplish down the road.

Getting the car up quickly and safely on four jack stands has always been an issue and a task I don't particularly enjoy. I use a small floor jack and four stands currently. My car is lowered so I drive up on 2x6 blocks to access jacking points and/or bottom of the engine to raise the rear of the car. When using the engine case I always make sure I'm padding the access point of the floor jack.

I'm curious to know different techniques you guys use to get the car up on four stands - mainly the front. I'm not going to go the route of a full lift, but would like know know if I'm missing a good technique.

I really wish there was a way to raise the front of the car from a middle point with the floor jack and the slide in the stands on either side. I was thinking of using a solid metal bar that accesses both control arm jack points and then using the floor jack in the middle of this bar. Once the car is raised with the floor jack I could easily slide in the stands on either side using the main jack points.

Anyone have good tips/tricks they want to share?

Many thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

At the front I use a 2x4 about a foot long, between the floor jack and the cross member where the torsion bars attach. At the rear, I use a 2x4 about four feet long with a 3/4" piece of pine in the centre, to support the engine case just forward of the oil strainer as well as the exhaust headers. I have an aluminum floor jack that is 3-1/2" high so it just clears the front rubber air dam. For any work that only involves the wheels I generally use the side jacking points.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a scissor lift, mostly because I'm too cheap to buy one and everything I have other than the Porsche is going to be too big for it anyway.

So on the Porsches I use floor jacks and jackstands. At the rear I use a padded jack, and place the jackstands under the torsion tube. I use two floor jacks in the front. They are low profile jacks that fit nicely under the front spoiler, and I lift at the front cover that protects the A-arm attachment point. I jack up both sides simultaneously to avoid twisting the body, then place jackstands at the floorpan/ bulkhead seam.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
afinepoint
Racer

See this. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Jacking_Up.htm

I realize it's a two year old post but the question is often asked and if not done properly car and owner could suffer greatly.

Reg
Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll chime in.

I use the side jack points and the rennline jack pad. Lift one side, put jack stands under rear torsion cover and one under either the front jack point or the A-arm mounting bracket (depending on the work being done) . Move to second side and repeat. Done, whole car up.

Quick Reply: Raising/Lifting the car - Jack method discussion...