Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 gearbox: Can you handle the truth ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't get much time to post detailed threads or even check RL these days but love my 911 section. Long live these beautiful cars. I'm sold on the Kendall 80W-90 for the 915 gearbox. Drove the '86 for a good time today after its recent change from Swepco (had Swepco for 2 yrs/5k miles). May be some placebo effect but the shifting was definitely more crispy.

I dream of someday owning a '67 911S (slate grey with red interior) vs a Singer. We shall see
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
If one gets into owning one of these old 911s with 80K plus miles, the first thing to do is rebuild the bushings in the shifter ( few bucks and few hours well spent) and adjust the shift linkage under the plate directly behind/between the front seats.
Clutch adjustment can also affect shift timing and feel.
It's a precise mechanism that's sweet to drive if you keep it tuned up.
That is precisely correct.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 AM
rodney911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a marvellous box on my SC and with correct use, it makes my 78 just zing...I'm not worried what box is in a later carrera or a boxster, the 915 is just a joy to use. If you want comparisons, try a 63beetle or even a Morris Minor. Then you know what slop is!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 AM
asifallasleep
Cruisin'

My 83 SC has a factory short shifter and a leather **** and boot. If your 915 is balky or has any difficulty getting into or finding gears it is a faulty unit that needs to have the bushings changed and perhaps the linkage adjusted. A properly adjusted 915 shifts perfectly. Also a MUST change that will have a HUGE benefit in shifting is switching to the heavier leather shift **** and boot.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-R...PN-R959SB.html

The extra weight makes shifting a dream. With new bushings, properly adjusted linkage and the added weight from a leather shift **** and boot, i found little difference in shifting my 915 and my friend's well sorted 993.

The G50 is a cheaper and heavier transmission. The 915 is perfection.

At one point I too was obsessed with the G50, I'm so glad that i've found the truth.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM
CAporsche
Instructor

I'm a bit of a newbie as well, and I find 1-2 and 3-2 to be very finicky. I did have the linkage/bushing kit installed. I'm fine with double clutch downshifting, but I do wish it were less notchy from 1st to 2nd.

No idea about the history or actual mileage of the car or the transmission. It does have a newer 3.0L from a '79 in it though.

Someone describe exactly what the Wevo shifter improves as it seems to be highly recommended. Thanks
Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CAporsche
I'm a bit of a newbie as well, and I find 1-2 and 3-2 to be very finicky. I did have the linkage/bushing kit installed. I'm fine with double clutch downshifting, but I do wish it were less notchy from 1st to 2nd.

No idea about the history or actual mileage of the car or the transmission. It does have a newer 3.0L from a '79 in it though.

Someone describe exactly what the Wevo shifter improves as it seems to be highly recommended. Thanks
A 915 is an excellent shifting transmission when everything is right.

This means that the linkage bushings are not worn and its all correctly adjusted, the correct oil is in the gearbox, and there are no worn-out parts in the transmission.

The Wevo shifter is a precision item and does two things:

1) Shortens the travel of the lever and narrows the gate

2) Provides spring loading to the 1-2 & 5th shift selections with a 3-4 default

The Wevo shifter helps prevent missed shifts (thus bent valves) more than any other like measure and we install them in all cars used for DE events and competition.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:00 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My G31, definitely needs a rebuild..

All of the gears work just fine except 2nd.. 2nd has no syncro at all it seems. It has to be perfectly rev matched or it will grind, making any pull from 1st almost impossible..

I put in redline MT90 and it didn't change at all, other than making my LSD MUCH more slip resistant..

I think syncro wear on these also has a whole lot to do with them having to break or accelerate the entire torque tube drive shaft from the tranny at the back all the way to the clutch at the front, and then throw in the possibility of possible excessive friction in old torque tube bearings, and these syncros are doing a ton of work compared to a trans with the clutch right on it..

I can find a new syncro for like $75 so one of these days I'll swap that out and see if that cures it or their are deeper problems.. The job sounds intimidating but I think it will be easier than expected..

Compared to all other transaxle tansmissions from 924-968 the G31 is supposedly beastly in it's ability to safely handle 500HP+ and is LSD compatible..

I'm pretty lucky I have the G31 or I' may be crushing audi boxes..

Better weight distribution having all of the trans infront of the rear axle instead of hanging behind it, shorter and thicker torque tube too, Lighter in general, dogleg pattern..

Other than it's inherent syncro eating habits the G31 is one of the best boxes..
Also scores very high on cool factor points IMO..
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

An often overlooked issue with keeping the 915 shifting nicely are the transmission and motor mounts. In my experience, this may a huge difference one I installed new mounts (already replaced the bushings and aligned). I also use Swepco oil.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
I put in redline MT90 and it didn't change at all, other than making my LSD MUCH more slip resistant..
Just a note here: MT90 is a GL-4 luibricant and will destroy your ring & pinion in very short order.

You need a GL-5, ONLY.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 PM
asifallasleep
Cruisin'

I'd definitely suggest trying a heavier shift ****, you'd be really surprised.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-R...PN-R959SB.html

My 915 always shifted fine, i knew exactly where to go when finding my gears but since adding the heavier **** and boot, i don't even have to think about it. The weight made a HUGE difference. Plus it's such a cheap upgrade.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 PM
asifallasleep
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by UberXY
My 915 shifts smoothly, no baulking into any gear. But then again, it only has 43k miles on it, and I drive it not like I stole it, but like I paid a good price for it.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference on the 915, but I learned to drive on cars with non-synchro'd first gears, and as a result I don't shift into first while in motion, even in fully synchro'd boxes.

Also, when I endurance raced E30's, I adopted Mark Donahue's advice on down shifting, which is basically: don't do it. He said that if you are approaching a 2nd gear corner in 5th, brake in fifth until your speed matches 2nd, and skip the intermediate downshifts into 4th and 3rd. In a four hundred lap race, saving 6 shifts a lap adds up, and saves wear on the car and driver.

I've had 15 cars including 4 Porsches, and 5 BMW's and i've rarely down shifted. I always throw it into neutral and brake until I reach the desired speed and then throw it into the appropriate gear. I thought everyone shifted like that. Downshifting always seemed pointless to me.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:03 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by asifallasleep
I've had 15 cars including 4 Porsches, and 5 BMW's and i've rarely down shifted. I always throw it into neutral and brake until I reach the desired speed and then throw it into the appropriate gear. I thought everyone shifted like that. Downshifting always seemed pointless to me.
May as well drive an automatic. You are missing half the fun. Rev matching, bliping, using the engine rather than your brakes to slow down...etc... All kinds of reasons to master the downshift.....Not to mention utilizing the LSD and the machanical symphony that follows. Master the clutch people.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 AM
asifallasleep
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
May as well drive an automatic. You are missing half the fun. Rev matching, bliping, using the engine rather than your brakes to slow down...etc... All kinds of reasons to master the downshift.....Not to mention utilizing the LSD and the machanical symphony that follows. Master the clutch people.
In city traffic i'm usually in 3rd gear, sometimes 4th, but rarely do i need to downshift into 2nd gear. It's 3rd and then into neutral. Now of course I'll downshift on the freeway if i need to pass or go around someone, that's a no brainer. I'm speaking in terms of coming to a stop. I'm rarely in 2nd gear when decelerating.

There's no rocket science when downshifting, it's pretty simple. I've been driving manual cars for over 30 years. Master the clutch, you make me laugh.

It's not about not knowing how but rather making a personal choice. I guess Mark Donahue had no idea what he was talking about and we should defer to you. ;-).
This is exactly how I've always shifted into turns "He said that if you are approaching a 2nd gear corner in 5th, brake in fifth until your speed matches 2nd, and skip the intermediate downshifts into 4th and 3rd......"

The only automatic transmissions i've ever owned were in my X5 and my Cayenne S.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by asifallasleep
In city traffic i'm usually in 3rd gear, sometimes 4th, but rarely do i need to downshift into 2nd gear. It's 3rd and then into neutral. Now of course I'll downshift on the freeway if i need to pass or go around someone, that's a no brainer. I'm speaking in terms of coming to a stop. I'm rarely in 2nd gear when decelerating.

There's no rocket science when downshifting, it's pretty simple. I've been driving manual cars for over 30 years. Master the clutch, you make me laugh.

It's not about not knowing how but rather making a personal choice. I guess Mark Donahue had no idea what he was talking about and we should defer to you. ;-).
This is exactly how I've always shifted into turns "He said that if you are approaching a 2nd gear corner in 5th, brake in fifth until your speed matches 2nd, and skip the intermediate downshifts into 4th and 3rd......"

The only automatic transmissions i've ever owned were in my X5 and my Cayenne S.
Didn't intend to ruffle..... and obviously we are talking about two different driving scenarios. You drive your sports car in traffic where third gear is a mind numbing 40 mph... I drive mine as intended in box canyons and in the twisties where third gear hits the rev limiter at just under 80 mph with Butzi's full blessing. You come to a stop, I approach guys like you as a chicane in an otherwise straightforward course. Enjoy coming to a stop.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 01-27-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:36 AM
asifallasleep
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Didn't intend to step on your dick..... and obviously we are talking about two different driving scenarios. You drive your sports car in traffic where third gear is a mind numbing 40 mph... I drive mine as intended in box canyons and in the twisties where third gear hits the rev limiter at just under 80 mph with Butzi's full blessing. You come to a stop, I approach guys like you as a chicane in an otherwise straightforward course. Enjoy coming to a stop.
Not sure how your boast about how fast you're driving that "cabriolet" as "intended", compared to how slow i'm driving my coupe relates to this discussion, a downshift is a still a downshift, no matter the speed. I wonder if you burned rubber on your way down the road. Boy, am I impressed. The amazing thing about these cars is how much fun they are no matter the speed.

Quick Reply: 915 gearbox: Can you handle the truth ?