Porsche Classic Radio - anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:08 AM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Under featured and over priced in my mind
Typical Porsche tax for something that took too long to get to market. ( doesn't even have Bluetooth music streaming and you need to run wires to your phone. )
This system does have Bluetooth Streaming incorporated FYI..
Old 10-12-2016, 12:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by E30M3
This system does have Bluetooth Streaming incorporated FYI..
are you sure ? I was specifically told by the distributor it did not . only supported bluetooth phone.

from the web site feature and specs list

"Bluetooth® – with internal and external microphone – enables in-car phone calls to be made"
Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 PM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

are you sure ? I was specifically told by the distributor it did not . only supported bluetooth phone.

from the web site feature and specs list

"Bluetooth® – with internal and external microphone – enables in-car phone calls to be made"
Yes I am sure..I have this unit installed in my car and have performed over a dozen installs in my client's vehicle already and they all work...
Old 10-12-2016, 03:19 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I'll be interested in hearing about the ergonomics: how easy is it to change or search for FM stations or to look for digital music tracks while driving... how large are the fonts in the display, etc.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Steve993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the Porsche Classic installed in my '87 911 for about 6 weeks now and am very happy with it.

I live in the greater Boston area and AM/FM reception has been flawless and with a Satellite radio receiver (less than $100) installed under the dash and out of site, I have no reception problems getting Sirius/XM programming.

When using my cell phone over Bluetooth, I have asked people I am talking to about the quality of the calls, and they all have said the volume and clarity have been great.

The navigation works very well with a choice of voices and programming it is very intuitive. The only drawback, and there is not much that can be done to overcome it and have the unit not look like an add-on, is the small screen size. But since the verbal directions are so clear I rarely find need to look at the screen. The radio volume automatically minimizes when instructions are being given.

Installation was done by Sound In Motion in Allston. They did an outstanding job and are well regarded as one of the best for car electronics in the Boston area. No affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

All in all I am very happy with the system.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well if it can stream music over Bluetooth that changes things for me.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Steve993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well if it can stream music over Bluetooth that changes things for me.
Since I listen to Sirius/XM more than anything else, I hadn't even tried playing music stored on my phone via Bluetooth. After reading your posting, though, I went to the car and tried it - it worked fine!

The Classic Radio also comes with a small module that has 2 plug-ins for cables - one for iPhone/iPad, the other is USB. Sound In Motion mounted this small piece in the glove box.

In the Settings menu, you can select whether you want the input to come from Bluetooth, iPhone, USB, AM/FM, SD card or Sirius. I think the entire system is very well-designed and does all that I had hoped for.

Here's a photo of the unit installed in my car. It looks like it came from the factory. Based on postings that I have read, unless you are very good at installing electronics and have enough talent to fell confident getting behind the dashboard, I suggest you have a quality electronics shop do the install. I found it to be well worth the money to save me lots of aggravation and eliminate a far less than perfect install.
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2016, 02:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Bluetooth was designed for voice, but voice is very easy to deal with compared to music

The bottom line is how it sounds to you - if it's ok, then you are fine; if not so good then hopefully you are just testing and not committed for the $$

I have heard that there is a better codec for the compression called aptx that helps.

I got interested and did a quick search:
http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...ough-for-audio

- there is a 15" tire joke in here somewhere too ;]
Old 10-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Steve993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My use of Bluetooth has been 100% relegated to phone calls and, like you wrote, voice is easy to do so the quality is very good. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, I listen to virtually all of my music on Sirius/XM satellite radio so any shortcomings, perceived or real, in Bluetooth are not a factor for me.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Steve did they drill holes in the back of your glove box to run the wires through ?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Steve993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve did they drill holes in the back of your glove box to run the wires through ?
The piece that houses the two input jacks is flat on the bottom and rounded on the top. It is about 2" wide. Because of this shape and the shop's intent to mount it as inconspicuously as possible, since it would not be used often, they mounted it "upside down" and attached it to the top wall of the glovebox. For me, it was a clever solution on where to put it as it does not take up any space on the dashboard and is not visible. Here is a photo of it.
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2016, 09:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Wow nice lining in the glove box. Do we ALL have a mag light in there LOL.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Steve993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow nice lining in the glove box. Do we ALL have a mag light in there LOL.
It was a $400 Porsche factory option....!
Old 10-15-2016, 05:17 AM
rs_t
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use mine for bluetooth streaming all the time. I'm not the right person to rate the quality as my speakers needs an upgrade, but I like it. No truble with it cutting out or things like that. I stream using the Music app on my iphone with an apple music subscription.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2016, 05:09 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Sony RSX-GS9 is another high-end contender. Sony is not going to monkey around with their reputation (tho I note there is no 'ES' designation on it - maybe that is only for home audio?).

$1,500 for a head unit is too rich for me tho, not to mention the '80's look when I want a '60s/70's look....

I'd pay $500 for the right head unit...

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio - anybody?