Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

B90P Wheel Bearing & Hub Kit for Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little hint.....most Napa shops have a bit of a machine shop. You could take the front hubs in and get the old ones pressed out for just a few $. My guess is $20, and you'd be done. Less grief in the long haul. I think the bearings in the freezer/hubs in a warm oven combo and the old races or the appropriate sized socket will get the new ones in with no issues.
Ya know...that's a good idea! The Air Force Academy Auto Hobby Shop has a bearing pressing kit and it's free to use it. If I have a hard time doing it at home, I can always run the hubs to the shop and do it there.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some pics:

(1) Tools that I found helpful. If you come across a steel punch set, buy the set ranging from 5/32" to 5/16". Buy hardened Chrome Vanadium or tool steel punches. Do not buy cheap ones.
(2) Drive the race out from the opposite side of the hub, being careful to maintaing maximum purchase of the tool on the race. Wear eye protection.
(3) If the punch gets buggered up, you can quickly restore the edge with a file or a bench grinder.
(4) Bearing race and race tool. Be sure to install the race correctly so that the inner conical face and outer face are oriented in the right direction. Otherwise you will have to remove them and re-install.
(5) Start the race with a hammer. This is where heat may help.
(6) Making sure it's fully seated with a hydraulic press. Total operation is about 10 minutes.
Attached Images       
Old 05-22-2010, 12:57 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Dang Russ, you should work with Wayne as that is a project that is not included in the 101 911 projects.

Good job and Thanks!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Alright, here's how I did my bearings. For the most part I used Russ’ procedure, with Ice’s Hub baking recipe and Ed’s recommendation of getting help from Autozone. Here’s how it went down.

• Raised car and removed wheels, place car on jackstands
• Removed outer dustcap, I used the 2" muffler clamp trick to take out the cap, it worked as advertised
• Removed the brake caliper and rested it on a small upsidedown trash can
• Removed pinch bolt and nut on axle with allen key
• Removed outer bearing and thrust washer
• Pulled on front hub to free hub, rotor, and inner bearing still on the back side of the hub
• Cleaned as much grease as possible from inside the hub
• Put the hub in a preheated 350 °F oven for about 20 minutes
• Popped off the inner dust seal with a 12” flat screwdriver as pictured in the Bentley manual
• Used a steel punch to drive the bearing races out
• Cleaned the bearing race, and hub seating surface
• To install the bearing races, I borrowed a bearing pressing kit from Autozone. I put a $60 deposit and I can keep it up to 90 days (don’t know who would need to keep it that long). Upon return I get the full deposit back. Used the process described by Rusnak. Started with light tapping, then drove the bearing race into the hub making sure to keep the race square with the hub the entire time.
• Packed the bearings with grease with a little tool I bought from Advance Auto Parts.
• Installed inner bearing followed by the dust seal. Applied grease to spindle. Installed outer bearing and slid hub on spindle. Installed washer and adjusted pinch nut and tightened pinch bolt
• Re-installed brake caliper and outer dust seal

Thanks guys for all the tips!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

.. you forgot the beer part at the end .... great job .. next project ... BTW i did find after the the bearings 'settled" i had to readjust and tighten about another eighth of a turn . Just something you might want to be aware of and check sometime in the future when the wheels are off the ground.

Last edited by theiceman; 05-25-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job! Let's hear it for team "Gruppe Hug"
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
.. you forgot the beer part at the end .... great job .. next project ... BTW i did find after the the bearings 'settled" i had to readjust and tighten about another eighth of a turn . Just something you might want to be aware of and check sometime in the future when the wheels are off the ground.
Dang you're right! I better go to the garage and pour a pale ale. I was thinking about the same thing as I took the car for a spin today. In a few days I'll check them again

Originally Posted by rusnak
Great job! Let's hear it for team "Gruppe Hug"
You crack me up!

Thanks again!
Attachment 445585

Attachment 445586

Last edited by salukijac; 12-28-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: B90P Wheel Bearing & Hub Kit for Porsche