Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

cleaning anodized fuchs and some other ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cleaning anodized fuchs and some other ??

So got a set of used 16x6 and 16x7 fuchs that are going to be one of my winter projects to clean up, paint white to match the car and use these wheels as my summer wheels.

There are a lot of good posts on refinishing / painting but I still have a couple of questions:

- What do people use to clean / polish the anodized lips on the wheels? I have Maguires metal cleaner that works great on my '68 steel wheels but I don't know if it will effect the anodized surface as it says it makes "metal shine bright."

- There is some slight rash on the lip on 2 of the wheels, can I use a really fine sand paper 1200 - 1500 and take the rash out with out "polishing" the lip? See pictures (doesn't seem as noticeable looking at the wheels in person vs. zooming in with the camera.)

- Has anyone painted white over black? Have been thinking of sanding out the chipped areas of the white rather than stripping the paint off. It will be too cold to use the paint stripper in the garage and worried about the fumes in the house during the winter.

I was going to get some grand prix white paint from paintscratch.com... the primer, paint and clear coat combo rattle can set.

Thanks!!

Rob
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Anyone use this mag polish from Griot's on anodized wheels?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...inum+polish.do

Just looking to clean, not remove the anodizing.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I wouldn't use that on anodizing.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had good results with a product called Wheel Wax. It brought the black painted centers of my fuchs to almost 90% of new. Helped the lips of the wheels but not as much as the painted centers. I put 2 coats on all wheels. I am going to try a detail spray on the painted centers the next time I wax them to see if I can get them even better looking.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anodizing is basically a chemical ozidation of the metal surface to create a hard (but thin) surface layer. You can not really polish it without breaking the surface and damaging the anodizing. I would agree with Mussberger not to use the metal polish on the lips either. The curb rash is thru the anodizing and can not be polished out unless you remove all the anodizing from the lips and polish the raw metal. Some folks have had success with oven cleaner (the real caustic stuff) to remove the anodizing.

Also, the paint stripper will proably ruin the anodizing if it gets on it.

To keep the anodized lips you can try rubbing with vasoline or Gibbs to help improve the appearance. It might help mask the curb rash a little too.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

OK thanks everyone for the input! It was exactly the info I was looking for.

Have never worked on wheels before and I am doing the do it your self / low budget version to get a set of wheels with white centers.

Will do a light sand to smooth out some paint chips on the black, leave the rash and and lips alone (from 2 feet away hard to see) and also find some caps to paint.

Will post some pictures late winter / spring when I am done.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: cleaning anodized fuchs and some other ??