Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

thinking about Russell Berry's Multi-board

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default thinking about Russell Berry's Multi-board

I've gotta call this guy and get one. I spent a lot of time on line and on the phone with Russell back when he was street and dyno testing his first 911 chip and this thing just seems over the top. The chip I got was the 91 octane version and I love it. Smoothed out the entire RPM range and bumped the rev limiter just a smidge.

I still don't see letting my wife site in the driver's seat, but ya never know. If I had the valet setting I just may let her drive.just kidding.

Now if I just had my own EPROM reader......Do you see the line that says "Building new image"....is that what I think it is?

You guys that have this thing....What do you think?
Worth it?

Maxtronic Installation
Software Installation
Registration
Configuration
Reading from Maxtronic
Extracting BIN file images
Tuning
Hex Editor/Viewer
Available/Loaded BIN Files windows
Adding BIN Descriptions
Importing new BIN files
Loading BIN files
Unloading BIN files
Changing BIN slot/switch position
Building new image
Writing to Maxtronic
Tuning Tips
Support

Let's just hope he'll hold the price a few more days.

http://www.maxhpkit.com/

what are your thoughts?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray

You guys that have this thing....What do you think?
Worth it?

what are your thoughts?
Hey Doug,

Well today is the last day of Russell's sale, so I guess you need to decide soon

I noticed a significant difference between the stock chip and Russell's 93 Octane program on the track. I was at GingerMan Raceway last weekend and ran the car both ways. (note, I did not run Russell's 91 image, just the stock and 93).

I was able to achieve exit speeds of 2 - 3 mph faster on 3 turns running the 93 image vs stock. That's a BIG jump. Believe me, this track is slower than many so exit speeds for me can be only 63mph... thus there's a big difference between 58 and 61.

The cool thing about Gingerman is the short straights. It's perfect for a low hp naturally aspirated car like mine. The turbos can't just blast away on the straights. I was able to hold them off nearly the whole time.

I was pulling away in a couple series of corners and I attribute some of that to the chip (mostly I attribute it to the fact that someone like me has to learn to drive with the throttle rather than traction control).

The 93 program helped me on the track. What I really like is the pull I now get in the mid-rpm range. You don't drive in the redline at the track (or the street really). When I want power is those moments when you're on a carousel or "hairpin" turn and simply can't keep high speeds or really high rpms up. Then you want some "umph" at 4000 rpm. I got it with the 93 image.

I did utilize the increased rev limit on turn 3 where I shifted into 2nd gear. However, I have to admit that it scares me to see the needle bury in that red if I don't get the shift off quickly. The rev limiter increased my exit speed, but I wouldn't recommend uses it! I still try to shift as if I'm running stock.

There ya go. To answer your question, "is it worth it?" Well I can say the 93 program is worth it for sure. If you want a multiboard so you can still run 91 and stock, then it's a no brainer.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

before

After
Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Galls and Guys I believe I got my order in just under the wire.

(think Beavis and Butthead laughing)
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

WOO HOO! Congratulations
Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Doug,

are you suggesting someone get a EPROM reader and try developing their own maps? not sure what to make of your OP.

when I was talking to Russell, he commented when he was developing his maps with his own 3.2, he wasn't concerned if he blew up his motor. hmmm.....

I did get my multiboard, but not installed yet. the 928 is has been in the garage lately and the 911 in my storage garage. in process of trying to get a K&N cone filter adapter for my stock AFM from one of the guys at our PCA. he had created a tuned adapter for the K&N to stock AFM in the past.

I do plan to get the RB installed this year, but not sure I'll get a good opportunity to test.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

As promised the multi-board has arrived with the following images:

stock
stock
stock
valet
nostart

It's going to be a fun weekend

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
As promised the multi-board has arrived with the following images:

stock
stock
stock
valet
nostart

It's going to be a fun weekend
So, Doug, is it in? How's it going?

I just returned from a drive in the appalachians of Kentucky. I went with a couple of PCA buddies in a stock 01 Boxster and an 05 Boxster with a RUF 911 engine in it (yes, this car has about $120K invested in it... but, wow, it's fantastic). I had no trouble keeping up with them.

I'm still appreciating the extra power. Especially in the extreme turns and hills.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I used mine this past weekend pretty heavily in the mountains, I'm going to post a new thread.

I like Russell's mapping for the street, but I used more fuel it seems. I like SW's better at the track.

When I get a little time in December, I gotta get serious about how to legally get all of the programming I've purchased on one chip.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Well, I did put 200 miles on her sunday night and saw the odometer turn 75,000 but no board yet.

Where do I Put the switch? That is what's killing me.

I've been going round the clock getting ready for my buddy to take my truck. He gets here on friday. The truck is better than new, swear....

Ed, what about a second multi-board or an A/B switch that would allow two chips so you don't have to put one guys map on the other guys chip?????? Russell, are you listening????
Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I just received a multiboard and chip from Russell Berry (MAXHPKIT.com). Wow - It is great. Russell worked with me for a while to get the right programs for my 85 911. I am the 4th owner of the car and it appears I had a different chip than stock when we first started the process. The service was excellent from Russell. Answered my emails usually within the hour. The 93 octane program really smoothed out the car. It felt like I just had a major tune up. I just installed tonight so I will do more spirited driving over the weekend. Thus far I am very pleased. I love having the no start feature as a theft deterent.

CSMAB

Last edited by csmab; 11-06-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,016 Likes on 723 Posts

Wow seams like Russel is geting more traction here after he was banned !! gusee the word of mouth thing takes a while ...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Wow seams like Russel is geting more traction here after he was banned !"

Was that really necessary? Hardly a contribution!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,016 Likes on 723 Posts

my point was simply that his chip is doing really well after all the work he did , and now he is not here to comment on it .... but with your history, seeing how you read into it didn't surprise me in the least ..
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Sorry that my writing wasn't clear enough. Let me make shorter so you can read it better.
According to my buddy tests, he tried several difference chips and finally we agreed that SW was the best out of all the chips he had on his car.
- Base on your comments, I did not say SW chip is the only one out there.
- If you say my comment on SW chip is not an advice, does your sounds like an advice?"

- Typical of the 'brain dead' on the 'Dark Side' -

As someone once commented, "There're real reliable technical & helpful info found there.". Please!

Quick Reply: thinking about Russell Berry's Multi-board