Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Seat Restore and Redye project

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Restore and Redye project

Well, since I have been very limited as to what i could do while recovering from surgery I decided to re-dye the seats and carpet in my 951 while the engine is out, I am also preparing for 968 door panels that are beige, to be burgundy along with the carpet.
Right now the 968 panels are 2 tone, black up top, and beige below. Should I leave the black as is and have two tone door panels? I am going to switch to a black 930S steering wheel and may switch to a black shift **** so that everything flows.

I have used all leatherique products, Rejuvenator oil, Prestine Clean, Prepping agent, Custom dyes, and crack filler for this project. I also used some laquor thinner to help get the old dye off since it was not water based dye.

I can really work on the engine yet, hopefully very soon. Anyway, I thought I would share some photos of before and after.
Before shots, one of the seats has been treated with Rejuvenator oil.

Before, Seat on right treated with Rejuvenator Oil, made a huge difference in leather feel and pliability. But as you can tell from the swatches, years of sun and use have faded them.

Photo of seat being prepared for re-dye.

I uncovered some places where the leather was very thin, and was through the top grain, so I made repairs using donor leather from another Porsche Seat.

I used the leather, cutting out a section about 1" wider than the hole and put it back to back and used leather/fabric glue for the repair. This shows the size that is under the repair.

I then used paper and a sharpie to make a template to fit the hole, and transfered it to the leather donor piece

Here is the trimmed repair piece in place.

After the glue and crack filler cured, I sanded it down to a smooth finish for re-dye.

This is a finished dyed seat, dye cured and Rejuvenator oil applied for 24 hours. The leather is butter soft.

Since this was a "busy" project. I took the time to clean out every hole in the perforated leather. This made a huge improvement on the finished product.

Wish there was some way to allow you to feel the leather after this project and using Leatherique Rejuvenator oil. The 25 Year old leather is as soft and pliable as any new leather I have seen.

Photo of the complete re-dyed seat

Finally my 968 carpeted door panel redyed. One is the base read carpet dye, a swatch of the factory burgundy carpet and finally a carpet dye I custom matched to the factory carpet. I still need to add a little red to get a perfect match, but in regular light without the flash, this is a 99.9% match to the orginal.

If anyone has questions about the project, repairs or products I used, please let me know.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! WOW!! What a transformation. And the repair is undetectable. You should be really proud and happy.

A friend and I did the Leatherique process to redye my interior last year. It absolutely transformed my car. My dye (originally Linen color) had deteriorated to some unnamable yellow-green-offwhite something. Now they are "Linen" again. And the dye has held up very well.

You're gonna feel like you have a new car!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Thanks, it has kept me busy and I have really enjoyed it.
I will practically have a new car. Engine, suspension, restored carpet, restored seats and the list goes on.

I have linen dye as well for my 89. And bought several other dye colors to have on hand.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for reminding me about something else I need to do. I have had my Leatherique redye kit for my Grey-Beige interior on my 83 cab for a year now. I need to stop putting it off and just do it. How long did your prep take? I was very impressed and encouraged to see the results of your patch job as well. I had no idea you could do that like that. Very cool and job well done! Any tips about the initial prep work. Even though I have not officially started mine yet, I periodically wipe everything down in my garage (sport seats) with the Rejuvenator Oil. Someone once mentioned to use paint thinner I think, instead of the leatherique cleaner, but I have the leatherique stuff at the ready. Did you have to do much sanding of yours? Sorry for so many questions all over the place. I am getting excited to do something finally with mine now.

Oh, one more thing; did you brush it on, or spray it on?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Leatherique products are very good and that is very nice work.I just used some pristine clean to clean off some topsiders that got Pepsi spilled all over them at the Giants game last weekend.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Lacquer thinner helps break the surface, and I did a lot of sanding to get it down to bare hide, prep is everything in the job. I used prepping agent after I got most of the old "paint" off. I also used the Rejuvenator after I had the "paint" off and it absorbed it must better then. It also plumped up a lot of the cracks and creases. A lot of the areas that look like cracks, may just be in the original dye.

I had back surgery and this was my project I worked on each day a few minutes at a time, so I really can't tell you how much prep went in. I would say a few hours prep for each seat minimum.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Would you mind posting more details on your prep steps? Also, what did you use to clean the perfs?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Would you mind posting more details on your prep steps? Also, what did you use to clean the perfs?
I will try to get detailed writeup done in the next few days. Cleaning the perforated portion of the seat will take the most time. A toothpick is too large which is what I used. When I treated it with rejuvenator oil It closed them back up some. Next time I will use something smaller like a small paper clip.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM
future
Banned

Hi Jonathan

That is truly FANTASTIC work!!!

Is there any chance you can show a better picture of the repair patch when completed?

Also I’d love to know a full list of the products you have used especially related to the “Crack Filler” you refer to.

Many thanks,
Mark

Quick Reply: Seat Restore and Redye project