CIS Questions - Cold Starting Issues/O2 Sensor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CIS Questions - Cold Starting Issues/O2 Sensor Issues

I started getting into my CIS problems. Here are the two problems thus far:

1. On warm to hot days (I guess above 50 deg.) on a cold start the idle will want to stall out. I'll have to hit the accellerator a few times to keep the idle up. When I do that I'll usually hear a pop from somewhere in the engine bay (I think). Once the car warms up, it is fine. On cold days this does not happen and it idles as it should on a cold start. Where should I start?

2. I went to check my O2 sensor system with a dwell meter today. Whenever I would hook up the dwell meter, the frequency valve would stop buzzing. So couldn't check if the system was functioning. Again, where should I start?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 PM
stahwille
Intermediate

Default poor throttle response on start up

Hey , Poor throttle response at "warm ambient tempetures' can be basic tune ie. co% should be checked / adjusted at operating tempeture , ox sensor disconected, co% .08-1.0 percent. Warm up regulator can be next on the list if step one cks ok. This requires cis gauges, or experience or both. Concearning frequ. valve function if you hear it , it probably works. to test disco oxs sensor and lick both index fingers , touch one finger to oxs. wire to control unit and one finger to 12volts / then to ground . volts / grd pull system from rich to lean , and seeing is believing. Brace your self for the reponse's forthcoming . or simply contac me @dasautowerk@gmail.com MJ
Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stahwille
Hey , Poor throttle response at "warm ambient tempetures' can be basic tune ie. co% should be checked / adjusted at operating tempeture , ox sensor disconected, co% .08-1.0 percent. Warm up regulator can be next on the list if step one cks ok. This requires cis gauges, or experience or both. Concearning frequ. valve function if you hear it , it probably works. to test disco oxs sensor and lick both index fingers , touch one finger to oxs. wire to control unit and one finger to 12volts / then to ground . volts / grd pull system from rich to lean , and seeing is believing. Brace your self for the reponse's forthcoming . or simply contac me @dasautowerk@gmail.com MJ
In regards to the settings, I decided since I have doubts that my O2 system is functioning properly and just out of curiousity, I decided to set it up per John Walker's recommendations.

O2 sensor disconnected
CO Level - 3.5% (actually I think I'm closer to 3.3% - 3.4%)
Idle at 950rpm +/-
Timing set at 5 deg. BTDC

I've only done one cold start since I changed the settings, and my idle seems to be greatly improved. I'll have to do a few more and see how the car reacts.

In regards to the O2 system, I was actually trying a test similar to what you recommended (grounding the O2 sensor and adding 12volts to the O2 sensor to simulate lean/rich conditions). The problem is every time I hooked up the dwell meter the frequency valve would stop operating.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 AM
stahwille
Intermediate

I get it You make joke. Never shook jonny walkers hand . Don't need to. Save some money , buy 3.2 beer . Stahlwille
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stahwille
I get it You make joke. Never shook jonny walkers hand . Don't need to. Save some money , buy 3.2 beer . Stahlwille
Guess you don't agree.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Motoracingltd
Track Day

i replaced my oxs sensor, pretty simple, but the light never turned off. on another thread someone said how to reset the light behind the speed tac and i have yet to do that, but my shop i go to said i should have just not replaced, just disconnect the sensor completely. is that a good thing to do? especially if im going to track the car
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Motoracingltd
i replaced my oxs sensor, pretty simple, but the light never turned off. on another thread someone said how to reset the light behind the speed tac and i have yet to do that, but my shop i go to said i should have just not replaced, just disconnect the sensor completely. is that a good thing to do? especially if im going to track the car
Is this an SC or Carrera?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Motoracingltd
Track Day

81 SC
Old 12-04-2009, 02:49 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Maybe you should check your warmup regulator. Also check your airbox to make sure you have no cracks. I changed my OEM warmup regulator with the Unwired Tools UTCIS engine management system, no more starting problems cold days or hot days.

Originally Posted by arbeitm
I started getting into my CIS problems. Here are the two problems thus far:

1. On warm to hot days (I guess above 50 deg.) on a cold start the idle will want to stall out. I'll have to hit the accellerator a few times to keep the idle up. When I do that I'll usually hear a pop from somewhere in the engine bay (I think). Once the car warms up, it is fine. On cold days this does not happen and it idles as it should on a cold start. Where should I start?

2. I went to check my O2 sensor system with a dwell meter today. Whenever I would hook up the dwell meter, the frequency valve would stop buzzing. So couldn't check if the system was functioning. Again, where should I start?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Motoracingltd
81 SC
If you do a search, you'll probably find about half saying it's better, and another half saying the O2 sensor hooked up is the way to go.

With the settings I've indicated above, the car definitely seemed to "wake up" a bit.

Originally Posted by wpriller
Maybe you should check your warmup regulator. Also check your airbox to make sure you have no cracks. I changed my OEM warmup regulator with the Unwired Tools UTCIS engine management system, no more starting problems cold days or hot days.
I need to hook up my fuel gauge to verify the WUR is working properly. I looked into the Unwired Tools EMS. It looked cool, but I wasn't sure if the bang was worth the buck.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

It's definitely worth it, and truly eliminates startup problems.

Originally Posted by arbeitm
If you do a search, you'll probably find about half saying it's better, and another half saying the O2 sensor hooked up is the way to go.

With the settings I've indicated above, the car definitely seemed to "wake up" a bit.

I need to hook up my fuel gauge to verify the WUR is working properly. I looked into the Unwired Tools EMS. It looked cool, but I wasn't sure if the bang was worth the buck.

Quick Reply: CIS Questions - Cold Starting Issues/O2 Sensor Issues