Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
SMARCUS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the multiboard is a great value but I really only need a single chip right now and for $150 I just can't say no. Also, I can upgrade from the chip to the multiboard for $50 later on.

As far as octane goes, I understand that octane doesn't make power on it's own - for that you need oxygenated fuel like VP but that's a different story...

Regards,

Sean
Old 09-11-2009, 04:14 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
I really really appreciate the first hand reviews of the RB chip. I recall that Russell basically reported in the Chip Wars thread that he was trying for a more linear usable power curve, and not as much top end as SW.

911Vet, I was agreeing with you, and Ed is correct. I wonder how a person would quantify the butt dyno results? Is there an app for that? ButtLicious maybe?

Rusnak: Sorry... I see now that you were just following up on my post.

Butt Dyno test for me: when I come out of the Keyhole at MidOhio am I thinking, "WOO HOO I actually throttle steered through that and now the freaki
Turbo C4S that was all over my butt is NOT gonna pass me on the straight!" ? or am I thinking, "crap, the Miata is overtaking me again!"

Smarcus: Makes perfect sense. If not for the fact that my car is both driver and track car, I would have got the 91 octane chip. Even then, the single chip could work perfectly. You're right, $150 is too good to pass up. A used SW chip can be $200 and Russell's chip sounds like it may give you more power through all rpms if you don't live at the redline.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

While, it isn't Buttlicious, my Dynolicious app has confirmed the two chips develop pretty much the same peak HP. What I'd really like to do is drop the SW map onto the multi, and then run back to back dyno runs to look at the HP and Tq curves. Actually, stock and 91 in that comparison could be cool too.

Oh, no need to remove the seat.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Let's see... start putting SW's map as an image on the Multi-board...

I think I'll just stay out of that one
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I only said "I'd like to"....I don't have much time these days, as it is, without looking for added projects.

I will run it hard Sunday and see if the low end helps my lap times.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I only said "I'd like to"....I don't have much time these days, as it is, without looking for added projects.

I will run it hard Sunday and see if the low end helps my lap times.
I'm just learning to trail brake and throttle steer. So I've been overbraking on some corners... which means I'm coming out with low rpms unless I gear down to 2nd which is not exactly efficient. Of course, the key is to not overbrake and carry more speed in. But until I "master" that, the added umph at mid-rpm range will be nice.

(unrelated but I have to say it: throttle steering is way cool!)
Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

It appears that there haven't been any posts, related to the many impressions
expressed in this thread, over on the "Dark Side". As these posts might be
insightful to the many over there who claim to be "chip-experts" and all
"evangelize" that there's only "The One" chip option. But again, it is the
"Dark Side".

Note: An "evangelist" from the "Dark Side" ("The One" user) found the thread interesting
and posted a question but later deleted it, maybe for fear of "The One" or those
from the "Dark Side".
Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The two chips feel different. Russell's is more linear, I'd ASSUME a flatter tq curve. I had to take an OCR instructor for a session to get signed off toward my Zone 8 competition permit, and he noted it felt slow above 6K.

SW's comes on strong higher in the RPM's, and maybe finishes a bit higher in peak HP.

I was dumb for not taking both chips and swapping between sessions for an official and highly scientific butt dyno test.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

My God Loren, you're like a bad infection that keeps coming back. What the Hell is wrong with you? I just did a search on your recent posts (see the Pelican Drive thread) and it seems you're close to getting yourself banned here, just as you did on Pelican.

BTW, I deleted my question because I re-read this thread and found that Ed had already answered it. I ordered a chip from Russell about 15 minutes ago. I'll compare it to my Steve Wong chip and report here if I feel I need to. And I'm not afraid of anyone, especially you. Give it up, A-hole.

And thanks for your reply Ed - that's exactly what I was wondering.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I find it very difficult to compare the high-rpm performance unless I'm on a track. I'll be there next weekend (albeit a new one for me) and will send a report then.

But one comparison that bears consideration:
HPMAX chip: $150
SW chip: $375

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Also saw your other thread, so thanks, Shannon! BTW, on that thread, are those your shoulder belts bolted to the floor? If so are they looped over a roll bar? Concerned about your spine
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave Thomas
Also saw your other thread, so thanks, Shannon! BTW, on that thread, are those your shoulder belts bolted to the floor? If so are they looped over a roll bar? Concerned about your spine
Those are my 6pt sub-belts flipped back out of the way. My shoulder harnesses wrap around my roll bar as they should. Thanks for watching out for me though
Old 09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Got it - glad to hear it's all properly installed. So you're a pretty serious track girl, huh? Let us know what you think of Russell's chip once you get a chance to really thrash it.

I'd like to apologize to everyone else for my comments to Loren above, but I have to let them stand. I used to frequent this board a lot, until I just couldn't stand to encounter his crap any more. I was about to abandon Pelican too until they finally saw the light and banned him. It's so much nicer over there now. But I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir, as a simple search shows that the same vitriol is still emanating from His Highness. I really don't understand why the moderators here put up with it.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, he only called you an Evangelist. He's mellowing out. I've been called worse.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave Thomas
So you're a pretty serious track girl, huh? Let us know what you think of Russell's chip once you get a chance to really thrash it.
Righto... a properly accessorized woman with 6pt Schroths, HANS, SFI race suit, Piloti shoes, decals on my helmet !!

At least I look fast

Quick Reply: RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!