Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

OK, got mine in today with pretty much "zero fanfare". Took my Steve W chip out, which has been great for years now, and installed the new Multimax from Russell. The new setup plugs right in. I have the 24 pin '84 DME, which had been modded (by some minor surgery on the mother board) per some instructions from Steve W after a chip re-burn a while back. With Russell's, the last four gold pins are snipped off to go with the 24 pin socket on the earlier DME's.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the install....I pulled the box to install and made two quick slits with a Dremel in the cover and bent the bit of cover flange back to make a cable exit from the DME. I simply secured the switch to one of the seat beds by drilling two holes and securing the switch with a small zip tie. I can reach the switch while in the seat secured by my 5 point harness. The 0 position is currently stock, 1 is a 91 octane map, 2 is a 93 octane map, 3-5 are again stock maps (but, they could be anything....), 6 is "valet" and 7 is no start. Talk about anti-theft: punch the digital switch up to 7, have the switch stategically placed, and no thief is going to drive your car away.

I took a 4 mile jog to give it a go, and cannot comment on the 93 octane map in comparison to Steve W's. I can say that I switched to a stock map and stalled the car twice. I ran in 93 mode and she felt similar to my old chip without really stretching her legs. One thing about chipping in my limited experience: the overall drivability can be much better than stock from stoplight to stoplight driving normally.

I'll probably run her up in the hills Monday morning, and will run her at the track in Fontana next weekend for a performance critique.

A couple of pics:
Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2009, 01:29 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old man neri
Hello, just noticed they were on sale. Now I am debating between the multiboard and the single chip.
I had the same debate. From what Russell told me, the 91 octane mode will give you better gas mileage than the stock mode. And you get better performance... so you may have no need for stock program on the multiboard.

If you don't "need" the 93 Octane, then a single chip might satisfy you and it's so cheap right now ($150) that it's very, very hard to pass up.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I can say that I switched to a stock map and stalled the car twice.
Because you were used to the 91/93 mode? Or was there a problem with the car transitioning between maps?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I meant to say the car was a bit sluggish at the lower revs. The comment about a chip helping out drivability was a result of the reminder of what stock is like.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I had the same debate. From what Russell told me, the 91 octane mode will give you better gas mileage than the stock mode. And you get better performance... so you may have no need for stock program on the multiboard.

If you don't "need" the 93 Octane, then a single chip might satisfy you and it's so cheap right now ($150) that it's very, very hard to pass up.
That's the thing. I don't think I can find 93 octane around here and I never go to places that have valet service. Thus the conundrum.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
That's the thing. I don't think I can find 93 octane around here and I never go to places that have valet service. Thus the conundrum.
If I hadn't got an offer too good to pass up from Russell on adding the 93 map, I would have got the single chip instead.

I suppose you could add octane booster, but unless you're going to the track or drag racing Corvettes (like Doug likes to do) then I'd say the 93 map isn't really a major benefit for you.

Normally, I'd agree with Ed that it's a no-brainer to get the Multiboard... but honestly, it sounds like in your case the no-brainer is to get the single 91 chip.

It will be the cheapest horsepower (and fun) you ever buy!

Ironically, the day before I found this thread, I was talking to two Pelican sellers about used Steve Wong chips they had for sale. They each wanted $200. Used. Single chips. Neither one ideally suited for my exhaust. I almost bought one.

So ****** up a $150 chip from Russell before he comes to his senses!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the RB chip leans things out? My LM-1 indicates that the stock chip and O2 sensor corroborate to run the system at .98 to 1.02 lambda. Maybe it is faster than the stock chip, and corrects throttle changes quicker? I'm probably not a 93 octane guy, so to me is it worth the 91 octane map? What's really strange is that I think I'm a customer for the button setup and a stock chip so that I can get the anti theft feature.

Ok...I know you guys will want to throw rocks at me for saying that.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
It sounds like the RB chip leans things out? I'm probably not a 93 octane guy, so to me is it worth the 91 octane map? What's really strange is that I think I'm a customer for the button setup and a stock chip so that I can get the anti theft feature.

Ok...I know you guys will want to throw rocks at me for saying that.
You should call Russell to discuss it further. He was willing and eager to talk and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. I'm not qualified to discuss the changes made by the new maps. But Russell explained that Porsche had to make the OE maps so they could handle bad gas in areas/countries without clean fuels.

So I don't know if the optimized chip runs leaner and retards timing, runs richer and advances timing, or what? It may also depend on whether you buy for a stock exhaust, cat bypass, or sport?

If you get the multiboard, it comes with 8 maps on board for $250. Here's the way it was offered to me:
#1 stock, #2 91 octane, #3 - #6 stock, #7 valet, and #8 no start
The 3-6 are spaces for future/optional programming.

I opted for the #3 to be 93 Octane.

There's nothing wrong with wanting the multiboard for the anti-theft feature. No thief is going to hang around trying to figure out why it won't start. They'll just go to the next one.

Last edited by 911vet; 09-09-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you go to order one of these chips?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

http://www.maxhpkit.com
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911vet
You should call Russell to discuss it further. He was willing and eager to talk and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. I'm not qualified to discuss the changes made by the new maps. But Russell explained that Porsche had to make the OE maps so they could handle bad gas in areas/countries without clean fuels.

So I don't know if the optimized chip runs leaner and retards timing, runs richer and advances timing, or what? It may also depend on whether you buy for a stock exhaust, cat bypass, or sport?

If you get the multiboard, it comes with 8 maps on board for $250. Here's the way it was offered to me:
#1 stock, #2 91 octane, #3 - #6 stock, #7 valet, and #8 no start
The 3-6 are spaces for future/optional programming.

I opted for the #3 to be 93 Octane. (his usual price is $50 to add that) (he gave me a deal so I couldn't pass it up)

There's nothing wrong with wanting the multiboard for the anti-theft feature. No thief is going to hang around trying to figure out why it won't start. They'll just go to the next one.
Thanks!

Do I have this right?

Sept deal on chip: $150.00
Multiboard: $50.00
Total: $200.00

Extra maps: $50 each
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate you all...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

Do I have this right?

Sept deal on chip: $150.00
Multiboard: $50.00
Total: $200.00

Extra maps: $50 each
Through September it is $150 for the single map chip.

It's $250 for the Multiboard (which comes with Stock, 91 Octane, Valet, and No Start maps preprogrammed).

If you want additional maps, such as 93 Octane, they are $50 additional.

I found it confusing to figure out on the website, so I called Russell. He'll set you straight if I've misled you.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yep, it's confusing as hell.

Chip: $150.00
Board: $250.00
Total: $400.00?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Yep, it's confusing as hell.

Chip: $150.00
Board: $250.00
Total: $400.00?
No,no. You don't have to buy a chip and the multiboard. Here's the deal (this is the official version):

The chip by itself, not the Multi-board version is 150.00, it is normally 300.00, and is on sale through September.

If you buy the Multi-board, it comes with a chip in it, a different kind of chip that holds 8 chip images. The Multi-board adds 100.00 to the chip pricing and is also on sale for the 911. Thereby, a Multi-board with stock image, 91 octane 911MAX image, valet image, and no-start image is 250.00. Additional images such as the 93 Octane image is an additional 50.00.

So it's too good to pass up.

Last edited by 911vet; 09-09-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
SMARCUS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I only use 93 octane I can just get the single chip with the 93 map? How much better is the 93 vs the 91?

Thanks,

Sean

Quick Reply: RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!