Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery-area surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Alex599
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you gentlemen for the wise advice. I shall investigate further!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Restoration design is 20 minutes from my house. An amazing place and a godsend to us. Their panels are top notch.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Your pictures have all the tell-tales of corrosion having reached the inside void between the suspension pan and upper sheet metal pressing the includes the battery tray and runs across the area in front of the fuel tank. Particularly the picture near the vent hole on the underside.

To fully repair this does require replacing that sheet metal.

However, the extent of the corrosion is hard to evaluate. If only a small amount of actual material loss has happened than I believe it may be possible to thoroughly flush the void through the three vent holes on the underside, use a corrosion removing prep, and they spray the inside of the voids with basitrol or some other "creeping" coating product designed for protecting closed areas. The outside portions you can re-finish in a more conventional way. This would not be the ideal repair, but it could be a reasonable way to "buy a little time" and then do a proper repair down the road.

Tricky part is how bad is the corrosion? Mine did not actually look bad from the outside, but what I noticed was when I pushed firmly on the underside near the vent holes I was able to see visible flexing of the sheet metal (as it was effectively thinner due to the corrosion). If you do this test and conclude that the metal is still very rigid, the temporary fix MAY be a valid option. However, my recommendation would always be to do the full repair and replace with new sheet metal.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Don't put suspension panels in without the car being supported properly. Close doesn't count.

There is a great shop in Sunapee NH. Cellette Bench in house. One of the best you'll find for piecing things back together that are STRAIGHT when completed. Series 900 - Damon Josz.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Viking644
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say I am floored by this thread- so much so, I consumed it in one setting today having found it because you pointed me to it via hamkj's question. To say I'm in awe is an understatement, and your work and dedication to detail are a VERY high bar for owners to reach. Kudos on a beautiful rebuild- you've convinced me that I need a quality mechanic and a ton of cash when I bite the bullet and have to rebuild my 3.2's engine.

My condolences on the loss of your mother; I lost mine in a similar fashion around the same time. Hug that kiddo of yours and tell him that he's a lucky guy to have this car in his future- distant future.

Quick Reply: Battery-area surprise!