Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"BURNING RUBBER" How much HP required?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I believe those pics to be legit. They should be for a car that cost that much to build. It was the subject of an ongoing thread on Pelican during its Genesis. No expense was spared....probably one of the premier street legal early 911 "hotrods" ever built.
Maybe it's just me, but the width of the burn out marks don't seem to be the same as the width of the rear tires...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
JimS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That much HP would flatline the standard clutch in a heatbeat.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
That much HP would flatline the standard clutch in a heatbeat.
exactly, and I have a recipt for a stock O.E. clutch.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the "my cousing vinny" defense would be that you can't smoke BOTH of your tires because your stock 3.2 911 doesn't have a limited slip, or Posi-Trac type of differential. You would at best slip one tire or nothing. And first gear is so low, you wouldn't be slipping them for long.

It's possible to make the tires slip if you're turning in a stock 911, but the loss of traction makes the tail slide violently like Bo Duke's General Lee. I think the general public simply doesn't understand how these cars are not made to burn rubber.

That burnout pic can't be done with either a stock motor, or a stock tranny. No way, no how. Porsche 911s dont come with Doug Nash Rock Crusher 5 speed trannies, 12 bolt rear ends, and Hurst speed shifters.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

rusnak, I do have option code 220. A very nice 40% LSD. One that Pete once said: "lucky guy"....So it's an all or nothing burnout. It cherps over every paint line it can find.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ighlight=lucky
Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oh no!!

Maybe you can say that you have this peculiar high strung tranny that chirps involutarily when you drive over painted crosswalks.

I doubt that would be a good thing to admit to though.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The chirp is an un avoidable fact of life that is a safety feature added as an option 'cause the care was an Ohio resident for 18+ years. It will help me prove that I didn't just spin one tire (like the inside tire) The car simply will not spin the tires other than when turning a radius, the inside tire that is turning a sharper radius will loose traction, just as many large trucks with solid axles. When all the dust clears and I get permission, I may post the expert testimony I got from a close friend.

[(Hey, close friend) My attorney friend loved the letter and said that it was worth $1,000's.]
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Actually the LSD option is in Doug's favor....putting power down to both wheels lessens the torque delivered to a given wheel, thereby making it a tough proposition with 214HP on tap, to spin both wheels

I'm telling you, that is the reasone My Cousin Vinny was mentioned to begin with.

Back to Teo's IROC pictured above: Who says its a stock clutch? I believe there was a gal on Pelican that saw the fun they were having.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I don't know why I'm so skeptical about that burnout coming from a 911. I might be because it would take upward of 350hp and a lot of weight on the front wheel or wheelie bars to keep from flipping the car over. Also, you can see those shift points on the ground. Those tires were spinning probably 100mph+ and the shifts were positively jammed into each gear. That was one violent burnout from a car that has really low gearing.

My cousin's 1970 Chevelle SS 454 with an LS5 big block could do that. But that car had probably over 2,000lbs weight over the front wheels and it was putting out over 650 hp with a Holly 1200 double pumper carb.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm going to represent the other side, here. Just to shine a light.

Is this really your plan -- to go in and argue that your 200+ hp exotic European sports car isn't capable of launching too fast through an intersection?

Is this for a judge or a jury?

We're all aware of the limitations of these cars, but you're going to be pushing against popular perception, not to mention popular contempt for sports car drivers.

Imagine you're the judge, and a Maserati owner comes in and tries to argue that his Maserati can't 'go 185.' Aren't you still going to suspect that he was trying to go 185? I mean, we all know the song lyric. And as a judge, are you going to really be able to let go of the fact that the guy trying to prove his innocence chose to drive a Maserati in the first place? Isn't that the guy speeding tickets were designed for?

If you've got a Volvo- or Prius-driving judge, I'd think you're pretty likely screwed before you've said a word. There are no popular jokes about how nice or timid Porsche 911 drivers are. And even if your judge enjoys driving cars, he or she is probably going to know that just about any manual-transmission car can be made to spin at least one tire, especially while turning a corner.

I'm on your side. And I want to say something encouraging, here. But lordy, you're setting up a tough battle for yourself, here.

Is it too late to plead to any kind of lesser charge?

My car can leave twin black stripes with only 964-style horsepower, and that's with 315's in the back. I'd deny it if you put me in the witness box to testify for your defense, but I doubt most judges would buy my denial. Popular perception of the 911 goes all the way back to the 1960s. It's been around as long as I have.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Joe Walsh should change his lyric:

....Doug lost his license, now he don't drive.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to say this once more and then I will stop.

I can duplicate those black marks by dumping the clutch off the rev limiter in 2nd gear.

Those look exactly how I did mine. When I did this, the car violently swung around almost 90 degrees just like the picture shows.

Trust me, it wasnt going to stop, I just didnt want to go off of the road.

The other thing you notice is the marks darken in spot and then change direction. That tells me he was power braking...........
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Jack, you have no idea how thrilled I am to see you respond to this question.

I totally agree that the average porsche owner is view as someone different than I see myself. For that matter the average Porsche is views as somewhat of a beast. Even my little cab has been clocked well over the 135 mark. That doesn't make a left hand turn at a light from a standstill in a 50mph zone having never left 1st gear into exhibition of speed. The officer has so many holes in his story that it is funny to read the police report knowing what I know. He make me out to be a total enemy of the state. He fails on so many levels to put me in a position of having intent to do this that I actually want to see it go to trial. Not really, but it would be fun to see if it wasn't me on trial.

Just a quick list of why I wouldn't have caused smoke to come from both of my rear tires.

a new clutch +/- $1,600
6 kids
wife of 19 years
car was a thank you for surviving 4th pacemaker implant
engine was cold @ 0.6 miles from office
no passenger or pedestrians to show off to
engine is stock & 20 years old
car is a cab
I drive for a living (customer service/design/sales)
prior 10 years w/o a ticket
never caused an accident in 23 years of driving
driven 500,000 miles during current carrear
my medic-alert tag says "cardiac out patiant"
no criminal record
and lastly.....my blue eyes match the paint.

If that ain't good enough I'll admit to knowing just exactly what it takes to smoke tires on a 911 due to years of trying.....and this car....she ain't got it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Doug,

You sound like such a VERY respectable guy!!

I think some good points were made here, and Jack is right about the lack of sympathy and cynicism out there.

You are also countering first hand statements of a police officer, who a judge would consider an expert witness. I wonder if there is a way to check on the background and record of the individual officer, or perhaps the judge? Maybe there could have beens something in their past, say a relative or someone having been in an accident involving a Porsche, heaven forbid.

I'm looking at the counterpoint and thinking that what it might all come down to is your word against his. The issue is credibility, and your driving record and personal background are pertinent.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A friend of mine, a prosecutor at that, told me that the "showing off" comment in the police report would certainly raise eyebrows in her court; maybe if the officer couldn't produce a witness to support this then the credibility of the rest of his report would be somewhat suspect. If you "show off," you must have someone to show off to...

Quick Reply: "BURNING RUBBER" How much HP required?