911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

what battery should i buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by UberXY
Whatever is convenient to buy. As I understand it, there are only two battery factories in the US.

BTW, the OEM Varta battery in my M5 lasted 7.5 years - not bad for a daily driver. Like Optima batteries, they are made by Johnson Controls.

Steve
84 Targa
64 356C race
Johnson also makes Sears Batteries.

On a side note At one time a company that my family owned sold and rented solar powered portable electronic variable message signs. We had about 75 of them in our rental fleet and probably sold another 50 of them a year. Each sign held 8 4D deep cycle batteries. When we first started our relationship with the manufacturer they were using Interstate and we were having issue with the batteries taking and holding charges. Interstate was absolutely no help whatsoever. We started to have the manufacturer ship the units less the batteries and proceeded to install all Deka batteries in everything. Now the sign manufacturer uses Deka as well.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 11-24-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed by the Walmart battery section a while back and was thinking what makes one battery better than the other, if specifications are the same? Is there such one brand better than the other or they are all the same just the brand/logo look different?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rnln
I passed by the Walmart battery section a while back and was thinking what makes one battery better than the other, if specifications are the same? Is there such one brand better than the other or they are all the same just the brand/logo look different?
If you want the battery that is the right battery with the right vent hose you want the Interstate. It's the one that goes in all the new Mercedes. I was pleased to find I have it in my car. I am bias, I sell to several of there distribution locations
Old 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Question: Does the slant nose change the battery box at all????
Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Mussberger - Johnson stopped making Diehards in 1995.

I use the Interstate MTP-91. Its also the one they sell at the P Dealer. Mine was $150 at a local distributor. It has the vent on the side that most cheaper ones do not have. Interstates are made by Johnson.

Not sure about the differences with the Slant Nose. When you run it through Interstates website, the battery is NOT different. Both the 88 911 and the 88 Slantnose take the MTP-93.

as of 2005 current production "trade names".

Johnson Controls Inc
-----Duralast
-----Energizer
-----Eveready
-----Equalizer
-----Interstate
-----OPTIMA
-----Motorcraft
-----Pre 1995 Sears Diehards

East Penn
-----American
-----Deka
-----Hi-Tech
-----Pow-R-Surge

Douglas
-----Farmland

AC Delco (GM Delphi)
-----Post 1995 Diehard Gold
-----Firestone
-----Dura Power
-----Walmart/Everstart
-----Sears/Freedom
-----Lastcell
-----Tough One
-----Voyager (split market with GNB)

GNB
-----Champion
-----Omaga
-----Voyager (split market with Delco)

Exide
-----Auto Express
-----K-Mart/Centura
-----DieHard non-Gold (post 1995)
-----Edge
-----Napa/Legend
-----Motorvator
-----Power-Tron
-----Prestolite
-----Pep Boys/Pro Start
-----Quick Start
-----Titan
-----Value-Lite (Firestone "base model")

Last edited by Brads911sc; 02-25-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I used to have interstate, then Odsey (or whatever it's spelled), then came back to interstate until now. I was just wonder what is the different between the more expensive and cheaper battery (beside the side and shape or course). Somehow I feel they are the same, aren't they? They are such an old technology.

Originally Posted by douglas bray
If you want the battery that is the right battery with the right vent hose you want the Interstate. It's the one that goes in all the new Mercedes. I was pleased to find I have it in my car. I am bias, I sell to several of there distribution locations
Old 02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I don't think so. Insterstate stay very tight in my car. Pretty hard to get it in.

Question: Does the slant nose change the battery box at all????
Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lots of good info here!

I used to also have an Interstate battery with 850 cold cranking amps. But they discontinued that, and now they are all much smaller.

I just bought a Delco Professional with 850CCA and 450 load tested amps. I will be happy if it lasts 5-6 years.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Doug,
are you saying you sell these interstate battery for our car or are you saying you can get me one at 50%?
This is the second interstate I have on this car, another one is Odysey 1200amp. This current interstate last me only 2 years and now it's about to go. This car is eating battery the fasted I've ever seen. Yes, I do leave the car undriven couple weekes often but I did that to other cars too without problem. Time to get down on its' electrical

Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch Leland
Go to the Pelican web site and search for the Optima battery tech article by Ed Hughes. The Optima battery is the only way to go. No acid rusting your floor pan... Sooner or later it will happen with an over charging or over filled condition. I would rather have the safety of the Optima than any longevity that an acid filled battery might have.
Exactly, it cost all of a few dollars to make the mount system. Then, look at the post by Ed Hughes on Pelican in the body work section on his experience having to repair the hidden damage from the battery acid that spurred him to buy an Optima in the first place!! That is all of the reason you need to get away from acid-filled batteries.

Originally Posted by bgiere
Optima. You'll never use anything else after you see a non-sealed lead acid battery spew acid all over the inside of your trunk. Why wouldn't you use one is the question.
My sentiments exactly!

I've had my Optima for several years now, with no issues. I do not put my car on a charger, and it can go a week, and sometimes more without being started. I do not regularly unhook it, so it is always on line, and it has not let me down.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rnln
Doug,
are you saying you sell these interstate battery for our car or are you saying you can get me one at 50%?
This is the second interstate I have on this car, another one is Odysey 1200amp. This current interstate last me only 2 years and now it's about to go. This car is eating battery the fasted I've ever seen. Yes, I do leave the car undriven couple weekes often but I did that to other cars too without problem. Time to get down on its' electrical
No, I just sell machine and hand stretch wrap to several of Interstates distribution centers.

I'd go with Ed....A closed or sealed battery sounds much better for the cars long term health. Most likely pick up some diet HP too.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Doug,
I had a Odysey before it last me a year or so. An international (above, I said Interstate but actually International) last me 2 years. Now I have a feeling something is going on with my electrical system, not sure if it's true. So my plan is a cheapest one I can get, good cranking amp, and I will have to dig into my electrical system before I think of a good battery again. I will visit Walmart and Costco tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Not sure if anyone interested but I found a very cheap bettery, and it is a Group 49 (950cca) for only $65 bucks plus some fees. Yes, it's true $65 bucks for a 950 cca group 49 which is suggested for our car haha. It's from Walmart.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

wire in a voltmeter ... a good start
Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Optima Red top in mine.
4 years, no worries about acid and rust.

I disconnect the ground cable if the car is parked for a few days.

John

Quick Reply: what battery should i buy