Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I am thumped at what goes...thump, thump, thump when driving...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I am thumped at what goes...thump, thump, thump when driving...

I feel a soft thump, thump, thump in the front/steering. It goes faster, the faster I go and slower the slower I go. It feels like nail in a tire hitting the street over and over. It is not associated with breaking and at higher speeds it fades away (probably so fast you cant feel it any more). I have checked the tires, changed pressure, turned them to see if something is thumping...and nothing. I cant rotate tires back to front because they are bigger in the back.
The only thing to add is that it started happening as I was forced to break hard to one side going around a curve...the tires skidded about 30ft locked in one position. I am wondering if the tires are now uneven. I hope its not the bearings...I don't hear anything else. The tires rotate smoothly when I jack the car. Any ideas? My hunch is the problem may resolve with new tires....but before spending $ on tires/ or bearings...I will await your responce.
thanks in advance,
thumped abe
Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My head went to bearings right away. Jack the front tires off the ground one at a time. Push them in and out, side to side and try to turn them left to right.

I had the same issue. One tire locked up when braking and then squeeked while taking a slow sharp turn. This caused un even wear on the tires. I lost perfect tires, but rotated and it really helped. The wear can cause a shake in the wheel at differing speeds and may even come and go with heat and other factors.

It cost me $33.00 at Big O to remount and balance. That was my first and last visit to them. Never again.

Or, it could be your camber or toe causeing the issue.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be separated belts/plies inside the tire causing that type of noise and feeling in the steering wheel. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Could be separated belts/plies inside
Could cause a bubble on the tire. Skid with no rotation could have caused a flat spot. I think I would put on a pair of cotton gloves and run my hand around the outside to feel for a bubble and then look to see any flat spots. Bubble is my guess.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default Funny, I see a flat spot...but no bubble.

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
Could cause a bubble on the tire. Skid with no rotation could have caused a flat spot. I think I would put on a pair of cotton gloves and run my hand around the outside to feel for a bubble and then look to see any flat spots. Bubble is my guess.
I assume the flat spot is where I lost the rubber...or is that related to belt seperation? Well, it sounds more and more that its a tire problem. I might add, that when I deflated the tires the thump subsided...but still present. I also noted that when I drove for a while and the tires got warm...it subsided too. It is most evident when the tires are cold. I don't know if that info adds anything or not..
If there is only a flat spot..and no bubble, then it is safe to continue driving since it is not a belt related issue?
Now, lets see...since I bought the car I almost started the engine while engaged in first gear while the car was on jacks. Jacks held fine along with all my other safety support systems. I fish tailed...yeah you got it...braking during a curve. Nothing happened but now I know to brake before and accelerate during the curve...fun. And now for my stupid braking while turning the wheels because I almost missed my street....I was practicing downshifting. I wonder what is next. Heh, heh...and this is all during regular street driving. Can you imagine me on the tracks....no thanks. Maybe I should stick to my 07 Targa with all the safety features and creature comforts.
Now I know why my wife never let me buy a motorcycle....something about not well coordinated. Man, and I thought a Corvair was hard to handle.
abe

Last edited by abe; 07-07-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I have not heard/seen tire burn uneven because it skid/slide, unless there was an uneven road surface when it starting the stop where it makes it like "zz zz". A tire shop can be able to find that out.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I fish tailed...yeah you got it...braking during a curve. Nothing happened but now I know to brake before and accelerate during the curve...fun. And now for my stupid braking while turning the wheels because I almost missed my street....I was practicing downshifting. I wonder what is next. Heh, heh...and this is all during regular street driving. Can you imagine me on the tracks....no thanks.
Actually you should go to the track. That is where you can safely do all that stuff and learn how to handle the car in all situations that way when you are on the street you are safer. Learn when to brake, when to steer, when to accelerate and how much of each....etc.

What is your cold pressure?

-matt
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default Pressure...front 32 back 36..tires rated upto 44.

abe
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Factory spec for pressure is 29F/36R.

Jack up the car, spin a front wheel as fast as you can, and sight along the tread surface. You will immediately see a flat spot, which sounds like what you have. When cars are left in storage for long periods, many tires will "flat-spot," and the thumping will be more noticeable cold, gradually going away as the tires get hot. Of course, that's a different situation; you have probably worn away rubber...
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

abe,

My money goes to the 'flat-spotting' diagnosis. You're description of the symptom (thump, thump, thump varying only with speed) and your lead-up what with a wheel locking is THE CLASSIC tale of woe...

A new tire is all you can do and that could mean all four depending on how exacting your personal tire requirements are. I'd personally think that changing both fronts would be the worst in your case. If the other side (front) is undamaged and fairly new then you can probably get by with an exact replacement.

If both front tires were heavily worn then both fronts should be replaced. The rears? Only you know how heavily you ended up braking so if a rear got flat-spotted as well you can repeat the evaluation on that end.

One thing is certain: once you flat-spot a tire you are gonna 'thump-thump' your way down the road until the offending tire(s) is/are replaced!

Barry
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Had a bubble problem with a tire that blew out. Avoid it if you can. Fortunately my wife was driving when the left front blew out at 75mph (Arizonia speed limit). No traffic, black marks all over both lanes. Then the spare tire blew out at 60mph. What a day. I am now more attentive to the spare tire and its pressure.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default I think your right...thumps alot

Originally Posted by Barry A. Waters
abe,

My money goes to the 'flat-spotting' diagnosis. You're description of the symptom (thump, thump, thump varying only with speed) and your lead-up what with a wheel locking is THE CLASSIC tale of woe...

A new tire is all you can do and that could mean all four depending on how exacting your personal tire requirements are. I'd personally think that changing both fronts would be the worst in your case. If the other side (front) is undamaged and fairly new then you can probably get by with an exact replacement.

If both front tires were heavily worn then both fronts should be replaced. The rears? Only you know how heavily you ended up braking so if a rear got flat-spotted as well you can repeat the evaluation on that end.

One thing is certain: once you flat-spot a tire you are gonna 'thump-thump' your way down the road until the offending tire(s) is/are replaced!

Barry
thanks alot
abe
Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
9114LIFE
AutoX

Originally Posted by 3.2SLANTNOSE
Could be separated belts/plies inside the tire causing that type of noise and feeling in the steering wheel. Good luck!! Tony.
I had this same issue, replaced several parts (CV, etc) before locating this issue.

We even got the tire manufacture to warranty the tire since it separated on the inside

Quick Reply: I am thumped at what goes...thump, thump, thump when driving...