Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does anyone know the current draw for the front A/C condenser fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:25 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does anyone know the current draw for the front A/C condenser fan?

I just replaced this fan and installed an inline fuse as recommended by another on this board.

According to the Bentley manual, the circuit is 25 amp (circuit 2 of fuse block 1 for '88 Carrera). The circuit also includes the seat adjustment. I put a 25 amp fuse in the 14 gauge fuse assembly for now, but should the fuse rating be lower?

Or, is there a way to test the fan current draw?

TIA

Tony
Old 02-18-2007, 04:58 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

factory added a 7.5 fuse in 88, afaik
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

If you don't have a VOM that can measure amperage up to 10 amps, purchase a common 0-25 amp analog panel meter. Place the meter in series with the load: meter in series on the positive wire to the blower motor (red/white wire is positive, brown is negative in the motor's wire harness).
Typical draw on the front motor is 4 to 5 amps.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...l-meter/1.html
Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by tone40
I just replaced this fan and installed an inline fuse as recommended by another on this board.

According to the Bentley manual, the circuit is 25 amp (circuit 2 of fuse block 1 for '88 Carrera). The circuit also includes the seat adjustment. I put a 25 amp fuse in the 14 gauge fuse assembly for now, but should the fuse rating be lower?

Or, is there a way to test the fan current draw?

TIA

Tony
get current clamp meter ( see if you can borrow one ) and just put the clamp on the line to the fan . see what it is pulling while running.
Also remember it wil peak out duing start up so see if the metr has memory with min max readings. and run the system through a few cycles to see what it peaks at .

The other much less techie way is keep reducing the fuse size and leave it for a week. See when it blows .. thats your peak current

Quick Reply: Does anyone know the current draw for the front A/C condenser fan?