911 Research Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 911 Research Project

Hello,

I just turned 40 last year, and the desire to get a "classic" 911 has taken hold. My preferred years are 84-89, but I'd consider SCs from 78-83 as well.

I'm in the process of reading as many 911-related books as I can, and I'm beginning to understand some of the differences from year to year (i.e 915 vs. G50 transmission).

The problem is, I've never driven, or even sat in a 911. I'm not even sure if I'd like how they drive.

Although I'm still a couple years away from actually being able to afford a 911, I figure part of my research should actually involve seeing a 911 in person.

I'd like to see if someone in the San Francisco Bay Area has time one of these weekends to allow me to meet with them to check out their 911 in person (I do not want to waste anyone's time, so that is why I'm not just calling up people from the classifieds to go see their car, leading them on like I was a potential buyer)

If someone is gracious enough to show me their 911 for 1 hour, I would like to accompany them on a short low speed drive, and then drive the car myself (with the owner) briefly. I am not looking for someone to take me on a thrill ride to impress me with the cars power and handling prowess. I'm talking about a drive similar to a driver's license test, just to get a feel for the car, how it sounds, etc..

For this priviledge, I am prepared to pay a small fee to compensate you for your time.

Please PM me if this sounds like something you would be interested in pursuing. If I find someone interested, I can provide additional details about my background to alleviate any potential anxiety for the car owner.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to consider "moving up" to a 964 ( - just kidding, guys/gals) and ever get up to the frozen North, you are welcome to test-drive mine. While it is not for sale, I have done that for a few people as I love to share the p-car joy.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I think your request is very reasonable and a smart approach to possibly buying the car that you have been apparently in awe of for some time. (I wound up doing the same thing many years ago when driving a 914 for sevveral years and then in one afternoon, drove several 911s to see what that was about. Fortunately, this was a long time ago and several 911s amounted to about $75K which is less than a new one goes for today).

Good luck finding a cooperative owner. May I suggest that you come to a PCA (Porsche Club of America) breakfast sometime? The Santa Barbara region meets at 9 am on the first Saturday of the month at the Camarillo airport cafe, and at the Santa Barbara wharf the next Saturday morning. Clearly too far south for you,--but the idea is to go to where a collection of these cars will show up. Suggest you check your local PCA region for similar activities. I'm sure they would be more than happy to oblige.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Marc,

That is an awesome 964. Thanks for the offer, although I don't have any Northern travel plans on the horizon!

PB40
Old 08-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Edgy01,

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the local PCA region (Diablo, I think) to see when they get together.

I'm glad to see that there is a lot of support for aspiring 911 owners out there, and on this board in particular. Some sports car owners (I'm not going to name which brand, but it isn't German) don't want to associate with non-owners, which taints my opinion of the cars themselves.

PB40
Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps try to find a local-to-you PCA regional meet / event & mingle? Find an example on a lot / autotrader / eBay? Be up-front with the seller though, ask to be driven a bit & given some insights by the owner first before swapping positions. Be respectful of the car & don't go up to redline or barrelling around corners too hot if you're not prepared to buy / eat the embankment.

My first drive was a '90 964 C4 Cab, at a local dealer. I found the 4-over-2 shifter a little weird, personally, preferring the "H"+ better.

The 964 was smoother (though heavier), power seats & top, etc. I prefer the more hands-on approach to the Carrera myself, though not having to un-zip the back window would be a plus to me. Steering was noticeably different as well, though my '84 has a dinky little Momo wheel - like driving a go-kart. Both cars braked very well. Be cautious of the SC / Carrera & locking up the wheels on rapid firm braking vs other cars you've driven.

As for not being able to do it, well, that's likely a case of how much sack it takes to pull the trigger. I'm 37, got my '84 almost 2 years ago for ~$20k. Put down $4k, payment's $350. Car's been very reliable (towed twice, 1 minor 5-minute driveway fix, 1 alternator) in 17k miles - she's now at 67k or so. If you find a good one & take care of her, she'll take care of you & you can drive one instead of waiting for someday.

Best of luck in your search & journey!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. My test drive will be a low speeds, I already know the car will be fast and handle well. I'm just trying to get a feel for the car in everyday driving situations.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

They are so different, though still very similar, and depending on care can be so different. The first 911 I drove was a HUGE disappointment. It was a 1976 911S. I remember thinking "this is what it's all about? After all these years of lust, it's a nothing?" Then I drove an '84 Carrera. Honestly, it didn't do it for me either. Yes, it was crisper than the slug 76 (which was actually in great shape, and wildly taken care of). But, it still was not the light sports car I had imagined 911s to be. Then I drove a '69 911E and all my fears were immediately removed! It was an absolute blast. Tight, fast, powerful, screaming with all appropriate Porsche sound, teutonic to the last drop, with no excess fat or padding or cush. Pure sports car.

So if your first drive is a disappointment, don't fret. Keep trying them.

Also, on the 915 tranny, the car I ultimately bought 18 year ago was the '73 pictured to the left there, with a 915. At first, I found I did not get along with the tranny all that much. But, after living with the car a short while, I went from getting accustomed to it, to loving it. Yes, there are those that love the G50 and say it's better, then there are those that say the 915 is better for racing. I found I'd ultimately be happy with either. So, don't ditch a car because it's a 915 and your initial impression is that it is not like a Honda's box.

Everyone is different. You may ultimately agree with my findings, or disagree and like the newer 911s or even ditch Porsches all together. Patience and a PPI will be the two most important factors in your long term happiness with Porsche.

(oh, as to the Carreras, be sure you try some in the 87-89 era. Personally, I like those much better than the Carreras before - and NOT for the tranny, but for the crispness and power)
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Jay,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your guidance as I learn more about the fascinating world of 911s

PB40
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM
RacingBeat
Instructor

the car will likely exceed your expectations, it sure did in my case. the hard part is resisting your emotions and not buying the first one you drive
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Update, 8.5 years later...

I just bought my first 911 - a nice 2000 C2 Cabriolet from the original owner.

Pictures to come soon!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! Good things come to those who wait.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome. Any IMS concerns with that model year?

What took you towards the more modern cars?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

wow 8.5 years of research ... and bought a 996 anyway .....

J/k .. what did yo expect from an air cooled forum

welcome to the club
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

I waited too long and the aircooled 911 market got away from me budget-wise, so that limited me to the 996 market, which has bottomed out and will probably stay there for a long time.

The car is going to a local independent shop on Monday for a preventative clutch/IMS/RMS replacement, so after that I plan to drive it as much as I can.

Quick Reply: 911 Research Project