Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 04:14 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PORSCHE RELAY-911.615.108.01

CHECKING RESISTANCE WITH A NEW FLUKE 77III
I GET .02 OMHS FROM TERMINAL 30 TO TERMINAL
87a AND O.L FROM 30 TO 87. THIS IS NORMAL READINGS FOR A N.C. AND N.O. CONTACTS. MY QUESTION IS WHAT SHOULD THE NORMAL OHM READING BE FROM TERMINAL 85 TO 86 THE COIL
TERMINALS? MINE READS 59.7, IS THIS WITHIN SPEC?
STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE COOLING FAN AFTER REPLACEMENT OF THE OIL TEMP SWITCH?
THE FAN WORKS WHEN I SUPPLY 12V DC AND REVERSES WHEN I SWITCH POLARITY BUT I CAN,T GET IT TO COME ON WHEN THE CAR GETS TO 210F
WITH THE CARS NORMAL WIRING IN PLACE. AFTER
INSTALLING THE SWITCH I RAN THE EXTRA TERMINALS LEAD TO THE GROUND TERMINAL ON THE COOLER AND THE BROWN GROUND WIRE FROM THE WIRING HARNESS. WHEN I GET HOME MY NEXT STEP IS TO TRY TO JUMP THE CIRCUIT AT THE RELAY FROM TERMINAL 30 TO 87 WITCH SHOULD COMPLETE THE FAN MOTOR CIRCUIT WITHOUT GOING THROUH THE TEMP SWITCH. ANYOTHER ADVISE WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED.
THANKS KEITH
Old 07-30-2001, 11:06 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

guys,
i feel really stupid, after all my circuit
digesting, relay diagnosis, replacement of
temp switchs, i found on the back of the
fuse panel located in the front that the black wire (hot motor lead) and the gray
wire (thermo switch wire)had been cut coming out of the relay socket. this car was a slant nose conversion and the cooler had been relocated behind the left rear wheel,
so now i feel confident that if i just can trace the black and grey wire to where it ends and extend it to the relay. never out of things to do with these little puppy,s are we.
if anyone needs help with wiring on 87-911s
i think i can help you out, just ask.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:28 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

108 is the red relay ?

The path is:

Power input: 30

Relay fallen off the 87a has circuit and the 87 is off circuit.

With relay ON by powering the 85 - 86 path 87 has power and 87a no power.

This makes simple logigs possible and one unversal relay.

The red relays have a diode to kill sparks on the contacts.

To test out you can switch the relays, take the horn as they get seldom used ( normaly ).

Grüsse
Old 07-31-2001, 09:36 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

roland,
so far i discovered that the relay socket
had the wires cut to it but no wiring (black
motor lead or grey temp switch lead) from there. there is a wiring harness attached correctly to the temp switch and fan motor in the left rear where the oil cooler now resides. (slant nose conversion). are the
rubber relay sockets available individually?
they just puch in but i,m hessitant to just rip it out without knowing i can reattach new leads back to the cooler.
thanks keith
Old 08-01-2001, 11:12 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

Doesn´t sound like a factory conversion.

The rubber relay holders are aviable in two types but both fit. The juast have 5" long wires in standard colors hanging out so you can run them partially like the originals direct to the fusebox or connector. For wirelooms you have to splice them on the old.

Those relayholders can be found on the section 9 ( electric ) from the spare parts cataloge.
You also will find repair units for the normal connectors and relay holder for standard relays.

The price for those units wher extremly rising over the years and the early versions are NLA so if you canfix it go for it.

I still can´t understand why people cut wirelooms and mostly so stupid that you have no chance to rescue something.

OK itz looks cleaner if you cut the wires direct on the holder but with just one minute thinking they should have realized that the can work out a other way without destroying anything.

Grüsse
Old 08-03-2001, 05:49 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

roland.
i have just driven the car today after replacing all the wiring from the temp
switch to the relay. i,ve substituted a
98c temp switch for a 108c. the temp w/ac
on and ambiant temp at 100f the needle was just above 210 after a 30 minute cruise at 70mph. when i stopped to garage car i turned
key back on and fan activated for about
30 seconds so i think the cooler is now doing its job.while rewiring it i used factory color codes and covered the whole
run with heat shrink to prevent abrasion
and passed the wires only through factory
routing holes that were pre-bushed w/ rubber.
roland thank you for your comments and one
more question if you don,t mind.
i have 78000miles on the car and still have
awhile before i have to rebuild anything,but
what do you think of the 3.4 liter upgrade
and where would you source the best parts.
thanks keith epperly

Old 08-03-2001, 06:05 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

roland,
one more question, as you recall i have reversed the polarity of the motor leads.
do you think this will measurable shorten the fan motor life since it is now pulling hot air, instead of pushing cool air. keep in mind that the cooler was relocated behind
the left rear wheel with the fan motor behind the cooler. it has also been turn upside down with the temp switch and oil lines on the bottom.
thanks again
keith epperly
Old 08-05-2001, 06:45 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

Most electric motors prefer to run in one direction. Depending on the construction can runig backwards eat up the coals and lower internall cooling.

I think the original Porsche unit is not directional.

Turning upside down will give a problem with the venthole from the motor so you should turn it around as it can be filled up with water and short itself.

The only 3,4 upgrade I can talk about is using a 964 crank and a Set Mahle Pistons ( Roitmayer style ). The engine was built by Karl Wagner runed with the DME and a 964 catalyc converter on 95 ROZ. The owner used the car as daily transportation and made 60 000 mls in two years untill he sold the car. The engine was not tricked out to total power like Andial or other companys do it.
I´m not in enough the US marked to make any comparsions but most americans look for cheap bolt on power and not expensive built in power and I´m not sure if they could resist not going to higher limits with will generate more power and more problems.
Well we gave a 1/year unlimitet milage waranty witch is pretty unusual in that buisines.

I would recomend to go the easyer way by adopting a complete 3,6 into the car.
You can convert the complete engine or mix the long block with the 3,2 "skin".

Browse the archive for details.

Grüsse
Old 08-06-2001, 12:30 AM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

roland,
i get what your saying , just substitute a 3.6 long block? will all the elctronics work
with the increased displacement?
keith
ps. where would be your choice for a 3.6 long block

Quick Reply: PORSCHE RELAY-911.615.108.01