Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

MAINTAINING POLISHED FUCHS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM
David R. Schlegel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAINTAINING POLISHED FUCHS

My wheels were bought polished (black painted petals & center). They currently are perfect. I've considered Simichrome to polish them periodically to prevent pitting, but as I recall this product is really very elbow grease intensive. For maintaining the existing good finish, can anyone recommend a less labor intensive product/method?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and BLUE MAGIC Metal Polish Cream both with equally satisfying results. Slightly labor intensive but VERY satisfying when the SHINE comes up.

Simichrome doesn't shine up nearly as well. Not that I remember anyway. Haven't used it on my Fuchs
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 AM
Giantman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Autosol on my bike's chrome and alloy for years and carried it over to the Fuch's when I got the SC. After trying about a dozen other products out there I kept coming back to this one, value for money, makes for a brilliant long lasting shine and is easy to keep handy in it's little tube. However it's application does require some elbow grease, indeed I have never known a metal polish that doesn't!

There is a review of it here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/revie...osolReview.htm
Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, My wheels too "came that way" & it does demand maintainence to keep them looking good - I don't think there are shortcuts. It seems that polished rims have to be maintained in near concours condition if you don't want them to degrade. Of course, they can be professionally machine polished to bring back to "as new".

For a thorough polish, I use Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream (recommended to me by John Paterek, has "hundreds of uses"). Then you can wax the rims for lasting protection. {Btw, a very light rubbing of petroleum jelly on the black areas results in an striking "as new" look.} I perform this routine seasonally (four around here).

For a quick shine when they aren't too tarnished I have also used Eagle One "Never Dull" Wading Polish - be liberal (w/ the wads). The hardest stains to clean off are those from chemicals & cats (one sneaks into my garage & sprays the left rear wheel on occasion), so I check weekly & clean / polish as soon as they appear - much easier.

Don't forget to take a nice cruise right afterwards so you can admire your labor when you walk towards the car. "Enjoy!"
Old 10-22-2005, 02:53 AM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Mothers here as well. I don't find it labor intensive if I do it somewhat regularly...
Old 10-28-2005, 06:32 PM
gregg911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ked
The hardest stains to clean off are those from chemicals & cats (one sneaks into my garage & sprays the left rear wheel on occasion), so I check weekly & clean / polish as soon as they appear - much easier.
I use Wenol 2 step polish and it works better than anything else that I've tried. In your case you might want to try buffing the wheel with cat hide, I've heard that it works great!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:14 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used Mothers a couple times, mine are clean and sharp looking but they don't have the GLEAM that SRL or Dans911 has. I also tried out the vaseline trick today, that doesn't adversely affect the black paint ?

I guess since the wheels are 23 years old and original, I can't expect that GLEAM but they're not in need of a professional polish either...
Old 10-29-2005, 06:03 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried to polish mine up using Mother's and something strange happend, rather, didn't happen. Usually the rag I am using to polish aluminum turns black when rubbing the cleaner onto the aluminum. When attempting to polish these Fuchs, I got nothing. Are these wheels made of a special alloy, ther than what moist aluminum rims are made of?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:27 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

I got some black with Mothers but not tons of it. Does lack-o'-black mean they were reasonably clean to begin with ?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

they are anodized

lac' o' black prob. means your paint surface was not very oxidized - rub some vasoline in and call it good
Old 10-29-2005, 06:54 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randywebb
they are anodized

lac' o' black prob. means your paint surface was not very oxidized - rub some vasoline in and call it good
Good then. Thanks. I waxed the polished rims after a couple times over them with Mothers, and tried the vaseline on the black painted centers. I keep asking myself if I want painted-crest center caps, but I keep deciding to stick with the black.

Quick Reply: MAINTAINING POLISHED FUCHS