Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 3.2 Performance Chip Dyno Results

From the Pelican Parts Forum 2/14/04:

Thread - "SW chip issue put to rest...or not "

Well, I have some good news & some bad news for all you 'chip lovers' out there (of which I am one). First, the good news... I dyno'd a Steve Wong chip yesterday (customized for a sport muffler, premuffler, & 93 octane), and she ran like a 'scalded dog', with excellent HP and torque curves imo. Now the bad news...I did NOT see a significant
difference between the SW chip and the stock (126735358) chip, which frankly, 'shocked the hell' out of me! Unfortunately, I don't have the dyno output in a format that I can post right now, but I will post that info within a few days.
For a brief summary... several of us NC guys spent yesterday morning dyno'ing our cars on a 'Mustang Dynamometer', and we all basically performed the same (HP & torque) runs - a 'wide open throttle' pull in 4th gear from 40 to 105 mph. I performed 6 runs, randomly selecting the SW chip for the first run, and alternating back and forth with the custom chip for the subsequent runs. All six runs produced very nice (and very similar) HP and torque curves, with 5 of the runs showing almost exactly the same HP (184 +/- 1 hp) at the rear wheels. The second SW chip run, was the only run of the six which had any significant deviation, and that run produced 191 HP (at the rear wheels). I cannot account for why that run varied from the other 5. Now, stubborn as I am, I still 'feel' like the SW chip improves the drivability of my car (perhaps it's an improvement in the 'part throttle maps' over stock...or is it a placebo effect?), but as far as comparing 'full throttle' perfomance, the dyno numbers sure indicate that there isn't much difference between the two chips. One other thing...the dyno operator was dividing our rear wheel HP numbers by .75 deriving (for example) 245 HP at the flywheel. He insisted that the (.75) divisor was a factor of the 'type of dyno', when I stated that typically a 15% loss (instead of 25%) was used to calculate this - opinions???
In closing (or is this just the beginning), I was very happy with my cars performance, and although there's no discounting the 'cool factor' of the earlier engine management systems (e.g. MFI or carbs), the 3.2 Motronic system (custom or SW chip) produced some VERY nice HP & torque curves, and more than held its own by comparison. As I stated earlier, I will post the actual graphs as soon as possible, but I just wanted to post this summary, and see what everyone has to say. Let the discussion commence, and I welcome all feedback! Loren, you can even post an "I told you so!", and I won't mind...I'm just learning as I go here and am definitely 'HAVING FUN' !

ps. I'm still keeping my SW chip, and would like to find a way to quantify a comparison between the 'part throttle maps'... I've read that a local 'Dynajet' can do a part throttle analysis... Is that 'legit', and worth pursuing?

Old 02-18-2004, 11:43 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Loren, I just now saw this post...If you haven't yet, take another look at that thread's latest graphs and posts, and let me know what you think. At this point, I've lost any credibility in the dyno numbers, or maybe I'm just interpreting them incorrectly. That being said, the runs did not show any 'significant differences' between the chips, but the graphs just don't depict 'believable numbers', so I'm beginning to have even more questions than before . Thanks...

Keith

edited: Here's the link for anyone that's interested:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=148823
Old 02-18-2004, 02:20 PM
427grips
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the calm before the storm?

Is this the calm before the storm?

Where did everyone go?

RMS:
Old 02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Another post from the Pelican thread:

"One thing to keep in mind is the relatively correct order the cars fell. By that, I mean that the new 996 had the expected highest number, and Tom's '73 E was the lowest with you slotted properly between them. Paul's 3.5 and my 2.7 were clearly the exceptions and both of them were way down over expectation.

As someone totally disinterested in the "chip wars" I would say that the only possible variable for stock vs SW is a malfunctioning WOT switch. If you find that to be in good working order, then IMHO a chip is probably doesn't buy much new top end performance. Maybe a better butt-o-meter feel or mid-range feel, but not top end.

Although the torque numbers numbers are in error, i.e. torque = HP @ 5252 RPM,
K = 5252 in HP = (torque x RPM)/K, the meaningful result is the difference determined
between the chips - insignificant. The results are consistent with other dyno tests
that have been done over the years, e.g. Bruce Anderson's test of six different
perfomance chips indicated no significant differences.

Most DMEs with non-358 chips will probably see a very small improvement with the
performance chips, because Porsche improved the torque output slightly (10 ft-lbs)
with the 082 DME (32K in '87 & 358 64K EPROM in '88/89). For most 3.2 Porsches,
though, as the data further indicate, performance chips are a waste of money.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2

Last edited by Lorenfb; 02-18-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:38 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lorenfb
Another post from the Pelican thread:

Although the torque numbers numbers are in error, i.e. torque = HP @ 5280 RPM,
the K = 5280 in HP = K X torque, the meaningful result is the difference determined
between the chips - insignificant. The results are consistent with other dyno tests
that have been done over the years...
Loren, let's move beyond the chip comparison issue for a minute...I have conceeded from my very first post after the dyno runs that the graphs show no significant difference between the chips ...that's not what I'm confused about. What I'm asking is: if you look at a single graph, do the curves 'make sense'? The torque numbers on all of the graphs are obviously wrong. The rpm numbers on all of the graphs are obviously wrong (unless I disregard what my tach was indicating). I also don't have a bit of credibilty in the hp numbers either (and NOT for the purpose of arguing chips), but simply due to the fact that as my tach reached 6500, I never see the hp curve begin to decline. It is not reasonable to believe that all of the runs achieved max hp @ 105 mph (where the dyno shut down) and with the car's tachomoter showing 6500+/- rpms. Do you think that a 'realistic' hp curve would continue to increase (with a very linear slope towards the end of the run) all the way to 6500 rpms? That's just not believable imo, so therefore I begin to question any of the dyno numbers. Once again, I'm not trying to argue about the chips, it's just that at this point, I'm questioning any of the dyno's actual numbers, and I do not necessarily put much faith in the slope of the hp curve either. You are 100% correct that the dyno shows no significant difference between the chips, but do the graphs 'make sense' if you factor in the 6500 rpms my tach was showing at 105 mph? Thanks!

Last edited by KC911; 02-18-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

With regard to the dyno data:

1. It is now obvious that you should have made a calibrate/setup run to check
and correlate your data.

2. Do you have a tabular output or just the graphs?

3. You can determine actual torque by finding the HP at 5252 and then
calculating the scale factor for the dyno readings, e.g. HP @ 5252 = 180
then the torque = 180, dyno shows 300 then scale factor is .60.

4. The torque on a Porsche engine, as with most engines, should be fairly
constant over the RPM range above 3000 RPMs. As an example, the Porsche
Cayenne has a perfectly flat torque curve over the full usable RPM range.

5. Was the dyno connected to your ignition system to determine RPM?
If it was, then you must determine why the discrepancy in RPMs. If not,
then what RPM was being read?

Bottomline: I'm sure all the data are there, but some corrections must be
made.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2

Last edited by Lorenfb; 02-19-2004 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.2 Performance Chip Dyno Results