Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heater footwell blowers

Old 12-25-2003, 06:50 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heater footwell blowers

On my 1988 with manual heating the inline fuses on both footwell blowers are blown. Just tried to put a new fuse in the passenger side blower and it worked for about 10 seconds and then blew the fuse. I don't have any more fuses to test the driver's side blower right now, so I'll have to get some tomorrow and check that one.

The engine compartment blower works as it should. Clearly at least the passenger footwell blower motor is getting power -- maybe too much. Anybody have any idea why the inline fuses on both blowers would go?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 12-26-2003, 04:41 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usual reason for he fuse to blow is that the motors are either seized or about to seize and therefore draw too much current. You will probably end up replacing both motors.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Juan
Instructor

Mice???

Believe me, it happens.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:39 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Thanks all.

The car doesn't have many miles, but the fans don't get used much. The fans are not siezed yet, since they'll work for a while before blowing the fuse. I'm going to try to clean/lube them and see if that does it. Otherwise, I'll probably replace the motors.

-Sean
Old 12-27-2003, 12:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sschmerg, my 88 coupe did the same thing. I removed the motors and put them in a vise to secure them. Then I got 2 wires several feet long and put leads on them so I could attach the wires to the motors. I put alligator clips on the other end. I made the wire long enough to run from my battery to the vise. I then hooked-up the wires and checked to see if the motors worked and required lubrication...they did. I lubricated them while they were running and after I reinstalled them the problem went away. Hope your efforts are as easy.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:53 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Thanks Spider911. I removed the motors and cleaned and oiled them today. I put them back in, and now they are both working fine. It is not too difficult a job, but hopefully they'll continue to work!

-Sean
Old 12-27-2003, 05:21 PM
tdatk944+S4
Racer

Hey Sean,
Where are those blowers located? Are they the one's under the bonnet and under the trap door? Are we having fun yet?
I finally got my SC inspected today to make it legal and I'm looking to go for a shake down soon. I will need a brake job before spring .but for now I am getting the basic stuff done. Let me know if you want to hook up.

Later
Tim
Old 12-27-2003, 09:23 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Hey Tim, glad to hear the SC's all legal!

The SC did not have the footwell blowers that I'm talking about. The fan in the trunk is the fresh air blower that is controlled by the sliders in the dash. In the SC, I think there's only one top lever (the Carrera has two). Sliding the top lever to the right turns on that fan to blow out fresh air.

For a detailed overview of the heating/ventilation system, see this link to a tech article from Panorama (go down the page until you see: "Problems with your Heating System on pre 1989 911's? Check This Out!!!"):

http://www.type-911.co.uk/exhaustparts.htm

If you're not getting heat, this article should help explain why. Once you figure out generally what's wrong, do a search on here and on Pelican and you should be able to find a method to fix it.

Let me know when you're ready to roll!

-Sean
Old 12-28-2003, 10:07 AM
tdatk944+S4
Racer

Thanks Sean,
It was operator error,go figure. The controls on the SC leave alot to be desired. I feel like the wizard of Oz with all those ***** and switches to pull turn just to get heat!
So far just about everything works on this car, I have repaired the minor things as I see them, like the bulbs in the tach, had to fish one out of there to get any light at night. It does have a little vibration at speed (65) I think the tires may be flat spotted from sitting or they may need a balance. I'll give you a call soon.
Tim
Old 12-28-2003, 11:42 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Glad to hear you figured it all out Tim! It's taken me about 15 years to figure those out, but I think I finally got it!

It looks like I'm going to have to order one new blower. I was unable to get the passenger side blower working for more than a little while before it blew the fuse again. Looks like the motor is burned out...a new one is about $112 on Pelican, so not too bad. I don't think it has ever worked since I've owned the car. At least I was able to get the driver's side blower working again...hopefully it stays that way for a while!

-Sean
Old 12-29-2003, 12:06 AM
CDiercks
Instructor

Is there a source for the motor only. I have taken the motors out and cleaned and lubed them. One is completely dead, and the other continues to squeel. I have found a replacement motor at Grainger for the engine compartment blower moter. Just wondering if you can get a replacement motor for the footwell motors without replacing the entire housing.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:50 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Casey:

Pelican parts has them for $110.25 for left, $112.00 for the right. I believe that is the motor only. Go to "Heater System" and then to "Fresh Air Blower Motor Under Dash, left [or right], 911 (1984-89), 911 Turbo (1983-89)"

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...xhaus_main.htm

-Sean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater footwell blowers