Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to take the cap off the reservoir when changing brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need to take the cap off the reservoir when changing brake pads?

Getting set to do the first DIY brake pad change on this car. 05 997. I've got a great picture by picture DIY from this forum but I can't determine if I need to loosen or remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to allow for back flow of fluid when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. I've usually done this as a matter of course in the past but I don't see in mentioned in the tutorial I have. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

To play it safe you should remove the cap as thats the only reservoir in the system.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

in 3 years i've never taken cap off. it's a little harder to push back the calipers due to the pressure but no big deal. i think i asked the same thing on here awhile back and some chimed in that theyve been doing it this way for many many years with no issues. IIRC, the only issue actually brought up was if you do remove the cap, there's a better chance of you pushing fluid all over your trunk if youre not careful.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Getting set to do the first DIY brake pad change on this car. 05 997. I've got a great picture by picture DIY from this forum but I can't determine if I need to loosen or remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to allow for back flow of fluid when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. I've usually done this as a matter of course in the past but I don't see in mentioned in the tutorial I have. Thanks!
Takes about 2 seconds to remove the cap and a few more seconds to remove some old fluid. Lots less time than it would take up to clean up any spilled fluid.

I always remove the cap and suction (use a turkey baster) to remove some fluid to ensure that when I spread the pistons before removing the old pads and to make room for the new pads to ensure that no brake fluid overflows the reservior.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks everyone! I'm home free.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macster
Takes about 2 seconds to remove the cap and a few more seconds to remove some old fluid. Lots less time than it would take up to clean up any spilled fluid.

I always remove the cap and suction (use a turkey baster) to remove some fluid to ensure that when I spread the pistons before removing the old pads and to make room for the new pads to ensure that no brake fluid overflows the reservior.

Sincerely,

Macster.
+1
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM
johnwb
Racer

I don't remove the cap.
I just pump the brake pedal after I'm done with each corner. That way each successive caliper isn't harder to move.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Never removed the cap or had to remove fluid to change pads. I swap street to race pads every month...been doing this since 2006.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 AM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: Do I need to take the cap off the reservoir when changing brake pads?