Notices

Steel wool to remove water spots... really?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steel wool to remove water spots... really?

I see many recommendations to remove hard water spots from glass using 0000 steel wool. Sounds risky... has anyone had success doing this? My car was hit one time with recovered sprinkler water and the spots seem permanent on my windshield and side glass.

I've tried vinegar, Windex with ammonia, nevr-dull, razor blade, flitz, naphtha, and bon-ami. I may as well try steel wool before I replace the glass! Any ideas on how to keep the new glass clear?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about that one, but would recommend trying it on scrap glass first!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Buy some glass polish which is in a paste form and if you have a buffer us it to apply.

Griots Garage sells a good glass polish which should get the jobs done.

I wouldn't use Steel Wool mainly due to the shedding of the steel which will embed in the plastic, rubber trim and possibly cause other types od damage.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[I wouldn't use Steel Wool mainly due to the shedding of the steel which will embed in the plastic, rubber trim and possibly cause other types od damage.]

A better way to clean glass would be to use a Hi-Tech Body Sponge™ this innovative rubber polymer product safely and easily removes water spots, tree sap, rail dust, bugs and other bonded surface contaminants from the surface of automotive glass, mouldings and, may be used with any kind of lubricant and being an abrasive it will also produce a shine. With rubber side down, gently rub Body Sponge on glass using diluted car wash soap as a lubricant
Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 697 Likes on 366 Posts

Glass is actually softer than you think. While you may remove water spots, you'll also impart small micro-scratches that can be seen while driving in the sun. A hazard IMHO.

As everyone has mentioned, a good glass polish should do the trick. You may also want to try some clay first.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

The only caution about using a glass polish that I would offer is to not use it on older cars that have pitted windshields. I have a 1987 Mercedes 560SL that has the original windscreen and I used some Autoglym glass polish just to try to get the glass extra-clean for a show. While Autoglym is an excellent product, the windshield had many microscopic pits that had been virtually invisible until I buffed off the windshield. The dried polish turned white and suddenly all those tiny pits were visible. It took quite a while with glass cleaner and a variety of brushes and pads to remove it.

On newer cars, no problem. Older cars, be aware.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel wool to remove water spots... really?